This edition has not yet been published
If available, why not choose another format from the 'Other Formats' box on the right.
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
£12.99 saving £2.60 (20%)
As soon as this book is published
we will send you an email.
Please login (or signup) to pre-order this book
You will need to Sign Up or Login to pre-order this book, as we have to know where to send it when it's published.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password\nand let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
It is the standard reply when people ask, “How are you?” ....you say “I’m fine.” Well, Eleanor is most definitely not fine and has not been since she was 10 years old. Shifted from one foster home to another, she does eventually go to university where she ends up in an abusive relationship. On graduation she gets a job in the accounts department of a graphic designer and there she is when we meet her, aged 31 and desperately lonely. Eleanor is on the spectrum with her life overshadowed by some dreadful childhood tragedy which has left her face badly scarred. She keeps her head down at work and spends the weekends with two bottles of vodka. She speaks to her mother on the telephone on a Wednesday and dreads the call. We are uncertain as to whether her mother is in prison or an asylum. Life ticks by until her works’computer needs attention and enter one geeky IT man. How he and others break down her barriers is beautifully done. Very slowly we learn more about Eleanor and her past. Very slowly a future develops but once the geek (Raymond) arrives the novel is by no means slow. It becomes a page-turning, compulsive read of great charm. ~ Sarah Broadhurst
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Ellie Crowson-Jeffery - 'This was such an amazing book. It was fast-paced, never boring, and a brilliant page turner.'
- Humaira - 'I feel deeply privileged to have read such an exceedingly exceptional book....heart wrenching and yet light-hearted and funny...Gail Honeyman has outdone herself.'
- Emma Caddick - 'A distinctive, funny and moving voice weaves this story about self-discovery and healing old wounds; including those we didn't know we had.'
- Joy Isabella - 'Gail Honeyman's debut novel, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine, is a masterclass in the art of writing.'
- Nicola Cooper - 'Heart-warming and captivating; the best book I have read in a long time.'
- Sam Lewis - 'This book is so beautiful, in fact is the best book I have read in a long time.'
- Jennifer Moville - 'This is a book that draws you in as you get to know the main character quite well...definitely a book I would read again.'
- Judith Waring - 'I really enjoyed this book and I have to say that the author has written an excellent and quite unique novel.'
- Edel Waugh - 'What started off as an unlikeable character soon became an unlikely loveable one that I was cheering for. I loved her bravery, gumption and ability to adapt. I highly recommend this to everyone in need of an unusual fabulous heroine.'
- Cathy Burman - 'A brilliantly written, bittersweet, funny, sad, thought provoking book.'
- Sarah Harper - 'Although dark, this story is so full of humour and warmth it left me feeling uplifted. I absolutely loved, loved, loved this book but most of all I loved Eleanor Oliphant. She really made me smile.'
Win an exclusive Lovereading Canvas bag worth £9.99
This month we have 3 of our sturdy, exclusive and simply gorgeous Lovereading Canvas book bags. To have a chance of winning this wonderful prize, click the button below.
Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter. Draw closes on 2 May 2017. The winner will be chosen randomly from all entrants and will be notified by 14 May 2017.
Our canvas bags are also available for sale with an RRP of £9.99. However, if you spend more than £25.00 on books, through Lovereading, you can claim one totally FREE OF CHARGE! Or spend over £15.00 on books, through Lovereading, and you can buy one for the special price of just £4.99. Click here to find out more.
Here's what one of our members thinks of her bag
A big thank you for the two Lovereading bags I ordered, which have arrived safely. I love mine and will use it with pride. The bags are lovely quality, sturdy and support a good cause in the Rewrap initiative; I think they make the perfect accessory for any book lover. The second bag was a gift for my sister and she says she will take it to her next book group meeting to help spread the Lovereading word. Once again, many thanks. Emily Wright
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
'Funny, touching and unpredictable' Jojo Moyes Eleanor Oliphant has learned how to survive - but not how to live Eleanor Oliphant leads a simple life. She wears the same clothes to work every day, eats the same meal deal for lunch every day and buys the same two bottles of vodka to drink every weekend. Eleanor Oliphant is happy. Nothing is missing from her carefully timetabled life. Except, sometimes, everything. One simple act of kindness is about to shatter the walls Eleanor has built around herself. Now she must learn how to navigate the world that everyone else seems to take for granted - while searching for the courage to face the dark corners she's avoided all her life. Change can be good. Change can be bad. But surely any change is better than...fine?
'A truly original literary creation: funny, touching and unpredictable. Her journey out of the shadows is expertly woven and absolutely gripping'
'Deft, compassionate and moving'
'I adored it. Skilled, perceptive, Eleanor's world will feel familiar to you from the very first page. An outstanding debut!'
'A truly original voice and so good on loneliness: I sobbed and sobbed'
'Warm and funny, moving and deeply original, Eleanor Oliphant is completely marvellous'
'I fell in love with this old fashioned women living in the modern world... Impeccable'
About the Author
Publication date18th May 2017
More books by Gail Honeyman
Author 'Like for Like'
PublisherHarperCollins Publishers Ltd an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
CategoriesModern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
Love Reading - it not only does what it says on the tin, it does it with Jam on!!Maz Tucker
You can trust Lovereading to show unbiased reviews by actual, ordinary readers that help likeminded booklovers choose their next great read.Linda Hill
Thanks to Lovereading I have discovered new writers and read books I would never had looked twice at - and enjoyed them.Angela Rhodes
What can I say, the clue is in the title Lovereading - and awesome books.Sarah Davis
Why I love @lovereadinguk? It's in the name - as dedicated lovers of reading, they are perfect matchmakers for helping me find my next read!Catherine Jenkins
I love Lovereading because I get to read great books and then get to tell everybody how good they are.Sally Doel
With literary excellence, humour and drama, Lovereading's got value and is a real stress-calmer!Siobhan McDowell
Love books. Love reading. Love reading books. And, here's the trick. Here's a website which caters for people like me.Ian Harvey-brown