Blood Ties Family is Not Always a Place of SafetyTales of the Notorious Hudson Family Series
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
‘Blood Ties’ is a bittersweet, unmistakably romantic tale set in Bradford in the 1960’s. This is a very different offering to the first three in ‘The Tales of the Notorious Hudson Family’ series, namely that the Hudson’s do not make an appearance (though they are mentioned). The same gritty tone and background is evident, however the scurry of criminal feet remains at a distance, this is set around a working family, who run a pub. If you’ve read the first three in the series and loved to hate, or be astounded by certain members of the Hudson family, then you are in luck, as Irene, Kathleen’s step-mother is all too easy to dislike. Kathleen herself is 16, and this is her tale, love is just around the corner, but can love conquer all? The story just zips along, and with occasional smacks of grim reality, this is another readable (but not quite as feisty tale) from Julie Shaw. ~ Liz Robinson
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Melanie Kane - 'A well written novel with so much detail that I could see this era in my mind’s eye.'
- Margaret Quirke - 'An enjoyable read for anyone interested in family chronicles. The book covers grief; jealousy; love; grief; politics within families and sibling rivalry.'
- Dana Captainino - 'Blood Ties is a very good read and its gritty realism keeps your attention throughout.'
- Anne Rhodes - 'Each person comes alive on the page as you read – and you won't want to put this book down!'
- Glenda Worth - 'I really enjoyed it. Easy to read with a good storyline I will now be looking for the other books in the Hudson series.'
- Celia Cohen - 'A well written story.'
- Pauline Braisher - 'Having grown up in Bradford during the 1960s, I enjoyed the references to the city but otherwise I was disappointed with this book.'
- Cathy Small - 'You can't choose your family and it doesn't appear you can choose your stepfamily.'
- Angie Rhodes - 'This is just as gripping as the first three books, and I hope there will be more. The great thing is you can read them in any order as each book is a story of its own.'
- Nicola Edwards - 'A gritty, hard-hitting novel from the 1960s that encapsulates that time in history combined with beautiful writing about the relationships that exist among family members, particularly the bond between father and daughter.'
- Carol Peace - 'Julie Shaw takes you back to the 60's, her writing is so clear you can easily imagine the characters and situations. A bit of nostalgia and a really good read.'
- Jennifer Moville - 'This family is explosive and I have to say the language makes no bones about it so any one a bit shy about bad language...well maybe this book isn't for you.'
- Gavin Dimmock - 'Whilst this tale lacks the physical violence and brutal language that we saw in Our Vinnie, it is just as powerful in its depiction of the harsh treatment meted out to our heroine, Kathleen.'
- Alison Bisping - 'I haven’t read any other books by Julie Shaw and am now interested enough to hunt them out.'
- Jane Brown - 'Another great title from Julie Shaw and the notorious Hudson family. West Yorkshire and grittiness.'
- Gill Dally-Fitzsimons - 'The story of Kathleen and her journey to find happiness. A good read! ...If you are a fan of Martine Cole, you would probably enjoy this book.'
Win an exclusive Lovereading Canvas bag worth £9.99
This month we have 3 of our sturdy, exclusive and simply gorgeous Lovereading Canvas book bags. To have a chance of winning this wonderful prize, click the button below.
Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter. Draw closes on 2 May 2017. The winner will be chosen randomly from all entrants and will be notified by 14 May 2017.
Our canvas bags are also available for sale with an RRP of £9.99. However, if you spend more than £25.00 on books, through Lovereading, you can claim one totally FREE OF CHARGE! Or spend over £15.00 on books, through Lovereading, and you can buy one for the special price of just £4.99. Click here to find out more.
Here's what one of our members thinks of her bag
A big thank you for the two Lovereading bags I ordered, which have arrived safely. I love mine and will use it with pride. The bags are lovely quality, sturdy and support a good cause in the Rewrap initiative; I think they make the perfect accessory for any book lover. The second bag was a gift for my sister and she says she will take it to her next book group meeting to help spread the Lovereading word. Once again, many thanks. Emily Wright
Blood Ties Family is Not Always a Place of Safety by Julie Shaw
Family is not always a place of safety. Kathleen was just eight years old when her mother was tragically killed in a car accident. And when her father remarries it is to the bitter and resentful Irene who has two children of her own and no space in her heart for another. Irene goes out of her way to make Kathleen's life as miserable as possible and will stop at nothing to get her out of their lives...When Kathleen is sixteen, a shocking incident rocks the family, and life takes a darker turn. Among this darkness, Kathleen finds a glimmer of hope in an older man, but Irene is ruthless in her mission to destroy her. Can Kathleen find happiness or is she destined for tragedy?
About the Author
Publication date11th February 2016
More books by Julie Shaw
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherHarper Element an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
My favourite thing about is the 'like for like' page this has really introduced me to some good reads! That and lots of honest reviews.Sam Lewis
You'll always find what you never knew you were looking for and you're always spoilt for choice.Helen Jones
It has enriched my leisure time by introducing me to a world of books which I would not have previously considered.Val Rowe
Lovereading has given me the opportunity to delve into new and exciting worlds of authors who I would never have tried before.Glynis Elliott
I 'Lovereading' because it lets me see what new books are around with a detailed synopsis and readers' reviews.Judith Sharp
Ever purchased a book, read a few pages & thought I'm not going to enjoy this? Honest book reviews mean you'll never have that problem againJill Peters
At Lovereading there are fabulous books available in every genre, with great reviews to help you pick the right book for you.Teresa O'Halloran
I love Lovereading for the wonderful like for like author recommendations and for highlighting new books, it's a great resource for readers!Lindsay