Try Not to Breathe Shocking. Page-Turning. A Breath-Taking Psychological Thriller
£12.99 saving £2.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
January 2016 Debut of the Month.
Penetrating and intense, ‘Try Not to Breathe’ is a chokingly dark debut thriller. Amy and Alex are the same age, Alex is divorced and drinking herself to an early grave, while Amy is trapped inside her own teenage mind in a hospital bed, 15 years after a brutal attack. Alex begins to investigate the assault, at the same time as she struggles to deal with her own demons. Fast moving chapters are headed with characters names and dates, and slide around in time from 1995 to 2011. Holly Seddon writes with a sharp intensity, casting at times a desperately sad shadow, yet there is still an element of hope that struggles for survival. There is more than one jigsaw with missing pieces here, which creates a balance to the storyline. Enough information is given to allow suspicions to grow, and flourish. As each piece slots into the jigsaw, and a clearer picture starts to emerge, the writing begins to feel lighter, just as the story moves on with a harsh and bleak intensity, ensuring this is a thought provoking and riveting read. ~ Liz Robinson
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Nicola Brennan - 'This book was phenomenal...It is well researched, perfectly paced, has complex characters that draw you in, nice short chapters and flips back and forth between past and present with ease.'
- Zara Kazi - 'A great psychological thriller that you just cannot put down.'
- Anne Rhodes - 'The pace is fast, the plot fires your thoughts – you ARE that person as you read about them – whether it is Amy, or Alex or those who knew her!'
- Angie Rhodes - 'Try Not To Breath, is a tense novel...one that you will be so engrossed in, you’ll lose track of time, making you forget your coffee, until the final page. Excellent!'
- Alexandra Harper-Williams - 'What a fantastic first novel! An intelligently written insight into the human mind from many different perspectives. Highly recommended!'
- Suzanne Marsh - 'Holly Seddon has written a page turning suspense that kept me glued to every page.'
- Teresa O'Halloran - 'Wow! This is the best psychological thriller I've read since The Girl On The Train and this was better.'
- Michelle McKernan - 'A brilliant, riveting read that I couldn’t put down. Cleverly written with twists I didn’t see coming.'
- Phylippa Smithson - 'This is as gripping a story as they come. Highly recommended if you love a psychological suspense plot with a TOTAL difference.'
- Judith Waring - 'I enjoyed reading this book but unfortunately didn't find it that gripping.'
- Sheila Dale - 'The characters in this book were well drawn and easy to relate to and the storyline was unusual. I found the book easy to read and a real page turner.'
- Edel Waugh - 'From the opening chapter of this book I could see that I was not going to be able to read just one or two chapters of this book then get to sleep, no this book is worth staying up to finish!'
- Melanie Rose - 'Captivating thriller - you won't want to put it down.'
- Katherine Stewart - 'Interesting premise, but didn't quite live up to the promise.'
- Aoife Kelly - 'This book had a very interesting and promising premise, but it was slow to develop and I found myself not fully caring about any characters.'
Try Not to Breathe Shocking. Page-Turning. A Breath-Taking Psychological Thriller by Holly Seddon
Alex is sinking. Slowly but surely, she's cut herself off from everything but her one true love - drink. Until she's forced to write a piece about a coma ward, where she meets Amy. Amy is lost. When she was fifteen, she was attacked and left for dead in a park not far from her house. Her attacker was never found. Since then, she has drifted in a lonely, timeless place. She's as good as dead, but not even her doctors are sure how much she understands. Alex and Amy grew up in the same suburbs, played the same music, flirted with the same boys. And as Alex begins to investigate the attack, she opens the door to the same danger that has left Amy in a coma...
ReviewsA razor-sharp, fast-paced plot and wonderfully complex characters. Not since The Girl on the Train have I been so captivated by a work of suspense. -- Tess Gerritsen Such a GRIPPY book Marian Keyes Try not to breathe, try not to make plans, try not to commit to anything in fact till you have finished Holly Seddon's debut novel, because we must warn you now - you'll be fully hooked from page one...A brilliant, gripping, must-read.
Glamour A top
-notch psycho-drama Independent The psychological thriller of 2016... sure to leave you captivated Irish News Brilliantly readable, fast-paced stuff. Fabulous magazine Fancy something more thrilling than the usual chick-lit love story? Look no further than this gripping psychological thriller New Magazine A chokingly dark and riveting debut thriller Lovereading Seddon's storytelling skills are strong and the book engrossing... the world she's constructed is fascinating Kirkus
About the Author
Publication date7th January 2016
More books by Holly Seddon
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
CategoriesThriller / suspense
At Lovereading there are fabulous books available in every genre, with great reviews to help you pick the right book for you.Teresa O'Halloran
Lovereading is like booking a holiday, you don't know what it will be like and it is a whole new experience.Sue Burton
Their sending me my first book to review 18 months ago re-awakened my fondness for reading, since then I have purchased some real gems.Barry Griffiths
I love the 'like for like' author recommendations, it's like an old friend whispering in your ear.Emma Caddick
If you love reading, then you'll love Lovereading! Full of tips & info for every discerning reader.Lynne Rapson
Lovereading is a wonderful way to expand my literary horizons, discover inspiring authors & get the chance to read new novels first. #loveitZarina de Ruiter
Lovereading has given me the opportunity to delve into new and exciting worlds of authors who I would never have tried before.Glynis Elliott
I love Lovereading for the wonderful like for like author recommendations and for highlighting new books, it's a great resource for readers!Lindsay