The Turning Point
£12.99 saving £2.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
One of our Books of the Year 2015.
June 2015 Book of the Month.
An expressive, moving novel with the ability to reach out, connect with and yet bruise hearts. Frankie and Scott, both in their forties, both with children, meet and fall in love at first sight (well, perhaps second), their positivity obliterates the distance between Norfolk and the west coast of Canada as their romance blossoms. If you've read and adored the author’s earliest novels you'll expect the lightness of touch, but perhaps not the intensely hard hitting depth of emotion contained within this beautifully readable book. This change in direction opens the door to a whole new audience, yet the unmistakable sweet spicy tone will be recognised by existing fans. Freya North has a wonderfully distinctive writing style, she has a real gift for bringing thoughts and emotions to life, so that they feel real, feel known and understood. Descriptions of the ordinary somehow become special moments, while the complex and complicated are so simply yet vividly expressed. This is a gorgeously eloquent and touching novel, it is also a celebration of the wonderful glory of love and life. ~ Liz Robinson
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Nicola Kingswell - 'A rollicking rollercoaster of a love-at-first-sight romance.'
- Suzanne Marsh - 'A must buy, must read. Freya North books just get better and better'
- Lucy Bunce - 'I'm so happy to be reading Freya North again! I thought I'd "grown out" of her books in my 20's but this is a deeper and more emotional novel. Loved it!'
- Sue Burton - 'Feel good read and different from the author’s normal books.'
- Angie Rhodes - 'Beautifully written, a book for curling up with.'
- Glenda Worth - 'A poignant story of a single mum, writers block and a long distance relationship. Cleverly twisting around a novel waiting to be written by Frankie and the tragedy that strikes.'
- Maz Tucker - 'Great book, well written, with lots of twist and turns.'
- Phylippa Smithson - 'Oh this was so very comfortable to read but a little bit more of a meaty plot would have made it very good.'
- Alison Bisping - 'I loved this book from the beginning to the end - it was compelling and kept me wanting to know 'what would happen next'.'
- Edel Waugh - 'My heart broke and soared, I smiled and I howled with tears but one thing is for sure I will never forget it.'
- Linda Hill - 'To say I enjoyed reading The Turning Point would be an understatement. I adored it.'
- Sarah Harper - 'A story of family, friendship, love and loss, this emotional journey will warm your heart.'
- Angela Hunt - I loved this book, the writing was beautiful and the characters really touch you. Freya gets into the mind and soul of the reader, tugging at every emotion through the course of the book.'
- Helen Clare - 'Emotional and well written, was drawn completely into characters lives with a tear or two shed. 4 stars.'
The Turning Point by Freya North
Everyone deserves a new beginning. But sometimes fate isn't on your side...Over one short weekend, when Canadian musician Scott Emerson and British children's author Frankie Shaw meet by chance, a profound connection is made. Their homes are thousands of miles apart: Frankie and her children live by the coast of North Norfolk while Scott's roots lie deep in the mountains of British Columbia. Against all advice, they decide to see where this might go. Over oceans and time zones, they make sacrifices and take risks, discovering along the way new truths about love and family. For the first time in a long while, it seems life could be very good. But fate has a tragic twist in store, one that could destroy all that was hoped for. Poignant, engrossing and moving, The Turning Point is a novel about the importance of seizing happiness and trusting that love will always find a way.
Praise for Freya North:
'Brimming with emotional drama and packing a huge twist, this story will keep you guessing until the very end'
'I was gripped from the start and raced through to the end in one long sitting'
Sara Lawrence, Daily Mail
'A very telling and enjoyable take on contemporary life
Woman and Home
'Skilfully written, and full of interesting characters.'
'If you like emotional family dramas with a twist you'll love this'
About the Author
Publication date4th June 2015
More books by Freya North
Author 'Like for Like'
PublisherHarperCollins Publishers Ltd an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
CategoriesModern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
My favourite thing about is the 'like for like' page this has really introduced me to some good reads! That and lots of honest reviews.Sam Lewis
Lovereading has given me the opportunity to delve into new and exciting worlds of authors who I would never have tried before.Glynis Elliott
It's a lively, independent website with reviews, recommendations and more - with a huge range of books available to buy in all formats.Alison Layland
Lovereading are lovely people who send me lovely books. What's not to love?Gavin Dimmock
Lovereading has all the new books and also suggestions for 'similar' authors whilst waiting for your favourites new books.Carol Peace
The best new books on the market, reviewed honestly, to give your readers the best choices.Julie Cook
It gives a chance to read about new titles, invites comments from all kinds of readers and is run by such a nice bunch of book lovers.Joy Bosworth
They are bright, breezy and eager to offer a great book, then genuinely listen/respect the review one writes.Maggie Crane