LoveReading is thrilled to announce the launch of The Very Short Story Award 2019! If you think you have a story we'll love, click here to find out more and how to enter:Find out more
May 2015 NewGen Debut of the Month.
Geek Girl meets Notting Hill in Katy Birchall’s sparkling debut. Central character Anna is a lovable dork: the school misfit, she’s given to spontaneous tap-dancing, accidentally sets fire to the hair of the most popular girl in the school’s best friend, and usually confides in Dog, her Labrador. But then Anna’s writer dad announces his engagement to a film star. Can Anna’s step-sister-to-be, a regular of the gossip pages, bestow a little star quality? Various social disasters follow, many involving Dog, as Anna sets out to boost her popularity, before realising that the friends she has are worth more than all the ‘popular people’ put together, and that true love might actually be right under her nose. Anna is an appealing character and her escapades are full of useful life lessons, as well as being very funny. ~ Andrea Reece
Everybody wants to be a famous It Girl. Don't they?
Anna Huntley's aims in life:
1) Must keep my two lovely new (and only) school friends by not doing anything in usual manner of socially inept dork and outcast.
2) Train Dog (my labrador) to high-five. This is probably the most ambitious life goal on this list.
3) Do not set the school's Deputy Queen Bee mean girl's hair on fire (again).
4) Work out whether 2) and 3) constitute being socially inept or outcastish.
5) Go to Africa and give out rice.
6) To hide in a cupboard FOR LIFE with Dog now Dad is engaged to one of the most famous actresses EVER, the paparazzi want to spash my face all over the papers and everyone in school (and The World) is soon to discover the level of my social ineptitude.
7) Is rice a bit done now? Maybe I can give out chocolate in Africa too. I do like chocolate. Must work out how to do it from the cupboard...
Publication date: 07/05/2015
Publisher: Egmont Books Ltd an imprint of Egmont UK Ltd
|Publication date:||7th May 2015|
|Publisher:||Egmont Books Ltd an imprint of Egmont UK Ltd|
|Genres:||NewGen - YA Fiction, Debuts of the Month, eBook Favourites,|
|Categories:||Humorous stories (Children's / Teenage), Romance & relationships stories (Children's / Teenage),|
Katy Birchall is the exciting debut author of The It Girl. She also works at Country Life magazine where she is currently the Editorial, Travel, Social Media and Schools Assistant. Katy won the 2011 24/7 Theatre Festival Award for Most Promising New Writer. Her three pet Labradors are the loves of her life and she is mildly obsessed with Marvel comics, Jane Austen and World War II spy biographies. She currently lives in Brixton with her (apparently) much cooler and funnier housemate.More About Katy Birchall