Tastes Like FearD.I. Marnie Rome Series
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
when in stock
As soon as this book is back in stock we will send you an email.Compare book price We'd love you to buy your books from Lovereading - especially if we helped you to choose them! But as our mantra is guidance, and that includes guidance on price, please do use our 'Compare Book Price' service to discover if the best value deal is from Lovereading or another specialist bookstore.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
One of our Books of the Year 2016.
September 2016 Book of the Month.
This is the third in the ‘DI Marnie Rome’ series, and is just as distinctive, powerful and enthralling as the first two (Sarah Hilary’s debut won the Theakston’s Crime Novel of the Year). In a detached and indifferent London, an offer of shelter, food and warmth for those in need may not be all that it seems. Marnie and Noah find themselves thrust into an investigation where a series of events start to merge into the perfect nightmare. The writing ensures that you invest in these people, care about them, and in just a few perfectly chosen words you can catch an emotion, see their surroundings, feel their fear. Sarah Hilary has a knack of being able to knock your thoughts off balance, and she’s particularly sneaky about it too! I’ve been a dedicated follower of DI Rome since ‘Someone Else’s Skin’, and having snatched ‘Tastes Like Fear’ up the moment it appeared in the office, was immediately captivated. I couldn't put this particularly riveting tale down until I had reached the final, shiver-inducing page. Sarah Hilary, you rock! ~ Liz Robinson
A 'Piece of Passion' from the publisher...
'TASTES LIKE FEAR, Sarah Hilary’s fantastic new novel is the third in the DI Marnie Rome series and is equally as brilliant as Sarah’s debut SOMEONE ELSE’S SKIN and her second novel NO OTHER DARKNESS. In this novel Marnie and her sidekick Noah Jake are searching for a young girl who causes a car accident, believing she may be linked to another young girl who disappeared a few weeks before. As with her previous novels, Sarah explores devastating issues with care and sensitivity and, at its heart, this is a story about identity and how it can be eroded. It’s about being homeless, and how hopelessness and loneliness can dominate your life. It’s about control and what happens when you let someone into your life who doesn’t respect your independence. Above all, it’s frightening and tense and gripping. Sarah has an innate talent for characterisation and pace and this novel shows an author who is honing all her skills to become someone absolutely standout in the crime and thriller genre, and beyond.
I absolutely loved working with her on this novel and urge you all to read it.' ~ Vicki Mellor, Editor, Headline
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Joan Hill - 'DI Marnie Rome and DS Noah Jake team up again in this exciting third novel in the series. It’s unmissable, thrilling, and utterly absorbing: an underworld of crime, vulnerability and depravity.'
- Tanya Thurling - 'The plot was faultless and fast paced. Plenty of action, and a rather unexpected twist that you most certainly will not guess.'
- Sue Burton - 'Marnie is back with another case. This book will not disappoint.'
- Hannah Ward - 'I found this book gripping and intense. There were a few twists and some very interesting and intriguing characters. I now want to read more of Sarah Hilary's books.'
- Pam Kennedy - 'A very good read would highly recommend.'
- Lynda DeFreitas - 'This novel is seriously creepy. I loved it.'
- Jane Macleod - 'This book will hook you from the word go, it’s fast paced, edgy, mildly creepy and modern.'
- Phylippa Smithson - 'This is a hard hitting thriller focused on one of the key challenges of the modern world, homelessness and why young people select this over remaining in their family homes.'
- Nicola Underwood - 'One of the best mystery, thriller books that I've read in a long time. This is the first Marnie Rome book that I have read… I didn't know what I was missing out on.'
- Linda Birt - 'I would have no hesitation in recommending this novel, Sarah Hilary sets the standard higher and higher.'
- Reba Khatun - 'Sarah Hilary's writing is gripping and precise. I was absorbed by the case until the very end.'
- Rachel Bridgeman - 'and having thoroughly enjoyed the first two in the series, and this one as well, sincerely hope there will be further entries in the Marnie Rose log book!'
- Kim Feasey - 'A really chilling page turner. You will be drawn in to the dark, right from page one.'
- Melanie Kane - 'Superbly written, I thoroughly enjoyed this dark psychological novel, the characters were all portrayed so cleverly and realistically.'
- Edel Waugh - 'The plot was very good, the descriptions of the situations heart-breaking and the characters very memorable. I would recommend this to all thriller fans.'
- Tracey Poulter - 'This is an absorbing story...Sarah Hilary’s skill lies in writing believable characters that all have three-dimensional lives with hidden problems and in showing us that the truth is not simply black and white.'
- Sheila Dale - 'Good plot, surprising ending and well-drawn characters.'
- Mary Gibson - 'Set amongst the menacing landscape of the old Battersea Power Station, this is a satisfying and emotional read and I look forward to reading more in this series.'
Win an exclusive Lovereading Canvas bag worth £9.99
This month we have 3 of our sturdy, exclusive and simply gorgeous Lovereading Canvas book bags. To have a chance of winning this wonderful prize, click the button below.
Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter. Draw closes on 2 May 2017. The winner will be chosen randomly from all entrants and will be notified by 14 May 2017.
Our canvas bags are also available for sale with an RRP of £9.99. However, if you spend more than £25.00 on books, through Lovereading, you can claim one totally FREE OF CHARGE! Or spend over £15.00 on books, through Lovereading, and you can buy one for the special price of just £4.99. Click here to find out more.
Here's what one of our members thinks of her bag
A big thank you for the two Lovereading bags I ordered, which have arrived safely. I love mine and will use it with pride. The bags are lovely quality, sturdy and support a good cause in the Rewrap initiative; I think they make the perfect accessory for any book lover. The second bag was a gift for my sister and she says she will take it to her next book group meeting to help spread the Lovereading word. Once again, many thanks. Emily Wright
Tastes Like Fear by Sarah Hilary
Sarah Hilary won the 2015 Theakston's Crime Novel of the Year with her debut, the 2014 Richard and Judy pick. She followed up with NO OTHER DARKNESS, proclaimed as 'riveting' by Lisa Gardner, 'utterly gripping' by Eva Dolan and 'truly mesmerising' by David Mark. Now D.I. Marnie Rome returns in her third novel. You'll never be out of Harm's way The young girl who causes the fatal car crash disappears from the scene. A runaway who doesn't want to be found, she only wants to go home. To the one man who understands her. Gives her shelter. Just as he gives shelter to the other lost girls who live in his house. He's the head of her new family. He's Harm. D.I. Marnie Rome has faced many dangerous criminals but she has never come up against a man like Harm. She thinks that she knows families, their secrets and their fault lines. But as she begins investigating the girl's disappearance nothing can prepare her for what she's about to face. Because when Harm's family is threatened, everything tastes like fear...
'One of Britain's best new crime writers' Daily Mail
'Marnie goes from strength to strength... this one drips with the gritty, dirty, danger of the urban wastelands around the river' -- Julia Crouch
'Highly compelling and atmospheric... the storyline and characters involved me completely, from the very first' -- Kate Rhodes
'Hilary's depiction of 13-year-old Laura Beswick, Loz, is heartbreaking and convincing. This pacy, easy-reading novel is lifted by its perceptive examination of the distress of girls who don't believe they fit their allotted space in the world and the agony of the parents who try to make them understand how deeply they are loved' -- N. J. Cooper
'Writes with an effortless ease and fervour that displays what an accomplished writer she is' Crimespree magazine
'Tastes Like Fear is quality intelligent crime, with enough twists to keep you glued to the page and a massive dose of terrifying anticipation' Northern Crime blog
'Fast-paced, tightly plotted and well-written' The Bath Magazine
'A tautly conceived story that will grab you from the first page and refuse to let go until the last' CrimeSquad
'Tastes Like Fear is every bit as assured and involving as its two predecessors, and Hilary is a writer who is clearly here to stay' Crime Time
'Brilliant. I put everything else aside when I have one of her books in the house' -- Alex Marwood
'A tense, terrifying tale of obsession and possession ... a writer at the top of her game' -- Alison Graham Radio Times
About the Author
Publication date28th July 2016
More books by Sarah Hilary
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherHeadline Book Publishing an imprint of Headline Publishing Group
CategoriesCrime & mystery
Lovereading has given me the opportunity to delve into new and exciting worlds of authors who I would never have tried before.Glynis Elliott
Because of Lovereading I have broadened my reading horizons with some really great books that I probably would never have chosen myself.Susan Walsh
I read new, exciting writers and established authors before publication and there is a great website full of brilliant books and opinions.Lynda
My favourite thing about is the 'like for like' page this has really introduced me to some good reads! That and lots of honest reviews.Sam Lewis
You'll always find what you never knew you were looking for and you're always spoilt for choice.Helen Jones
Lovereading is like booking a holiday, you don't know what it will be like and it is a whole new experience.Sue Burton
Love books. Love reading. Love reading books. And, here's the trick. Here's a website which caters for people like me.Ian Harvey-brown
Their sending me my first book to review 18 months ago re-awakened my fondness for reading, since then I have purchased some real gems.Barry Griffiths