Someone Else's SkinD.I. Marnie Rome Series
£8.99 saving £1.80 (20%)
when in stock
As soon as this book is back in stock we will send you an email.Compare book price We'd love you to buy your books from Lovereading - especially if we helped you to choose them! But as our mantra is guidance, and that includes guidance on price, please do use our 'Compare Book Price' service to discover if the best value deal is from Lovereading or another specialist bookstore.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
Sarah Broadhurst's view...
A 2016 World Book Night selection.
Winner of the Theakstons Old Peculier Crime Novel of the Year Award 2015.
One of our Books of the Year 2014.
A powerful new detective series joins the ranks of great reads. This stars sparky DI Marnie Rome and her sidekick, quieter DS Noah Jake, a splendid duo. Their case is dreadful and the faint-hearted should stay away. Set largely in a refuge for battered women, all expert at keeping secrets, it involves an honour-based crime; tricky to get to the bottom of. You can see the conclusion early on but that doesn’t detract from the excitement of this cracking debut at all, certainly a talent to try.
The Good Book Guide Review. Detective Inspector Marnie Rome and Detective Sergeant Noah Jake visit a women’s refuge to interview a resident, hoping her statement may help their ongoing investigation. However, events take an unexpected turn when they find the husband of one of the other residents lying stabbed on the floor. Are the suspects really who they seem to be? How are the secrets of the police involved in the case influencing the investigation? What do the different lines of enquiry have in common?
~ The Good Book Guide
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Teresa O'Halloran - 'Someone Else's Skin is a thrilling debut...As a big fan of thrillers, I'm always on the look out for exciting new authors in this genre, and Sarah Hilary is definitely one to watch out for.'
- Reba Khatun - 'I would love to read more about DI Rome! Sarah Hilary has a real talent and should carry on writing.'
- Amrita Dasgupta - 'A bone-chilling debut novel with unexpected twists. Sarah Hilary has opened new possibilities and perspectives in the realm of crime fiction with her novel Someone Else's Skin.'
- Joan Hill - 'The description on the back cover ‘The crime debut of the year’ says it all and justly so. This is a must-read for lovers of this genre. It’s a real gem, taut and utterly thrilling.'
- Beth Kemp - 'All the key ingredients of a great British crime series are in place in this stunning debut. Engaging characters, a surprising plot and some gorgeous writing.'
- Cleo Bannister - 'A great new detective is policing London starting with a stabbing at a woman's refuge.'
- Sally Welham - 'This is an excellent debut novel all about secrets. It has twists and turns and it makes you realise how easy it is to judge by a popular concept.'
- Debbie Wood - 'A real page turner with some twists and surprises. Loved this debut book by Sarah Hilary.'
- Joan Sidwell - 'there are many twists and turns, everyone has secrets and slowly the secrets are revealed, with devastating results...Is this book a one off or will there be a sequel or further books with DI Marnie Rome? I certainly hope so.'
- Mary Gibson - 'I enjoyed this novel very much, though found some scenes quite shocking. The pace of the novel keeps the reader hooked to the end.'
- Rachel Hall - 'Fast paced, punchy chapters keep you gripped from start to finish. Needless to say I loved every moment of it! I am salivating ahead of the next Marnie Rome novel by Sarah Hilary and all I can say it thank goodness this author has been discovered!'
- Alan Gee - 'Unfortunately I didn't enjoy Someone Else’s Skin all that much. I did, though, finish it and by the end did want to find out how it all turned out.'
- Tracey Poulter - 'This is a debut novel but has the tone and feel of an established writer and makes you hope that it is the start of a series.'
Someone Else's Skin by Sarah Hilary
Some secrets keep you safe, others will destroy you...
Detective Inspector Marnie Rome. Dependable; fierce; brilliant at her job; a rising star in the ranks. Everyone knows how Marnie fought to come back from the murder of her parents, but very few know what is going on below the surface. Because Marnie has secrets she won't share with anyone.
But then so does everyone. Certainly those in the women's shelter Marnie and Detective Sergeant Noah Jake visit on that fateful day. The day when they arrive to interview a resident, only to find one of the women's husbands, who shouldn't have been there, lying stabbed on the floor.
As Marnie and Noah investigate the crime further, events begin to spiral and the violence escalates. Everyone is keeping secrets, some for survival and some, they suspect, to disguise who they really are under their skin.
Now, if Marnie is going to find the truth she will have to face her own demons head on. Because the time has come for secrets to be revealed...
'A slick, stylish debut. And one that certainly got under my skin'
Sharon Bolton, author of NOW YOU SEE ME
'This is a corker: twisty, tricksy and, on occasion, seriously scary'
'I absolutely loved it. One of the best crime novels - not just debuts - I've read for ages'
'An impressive debut... The book's central theme is domestic violence, which Hilary handles unflinchingly with force and passion. DI Rome is an appealing creation'
'So brilliantly put together, unflinching without ever being gratuitous and I love the way Sarah writes - every other page has a line I wish I'd thought of myself. It's the best crime debut I've ever read and deserves to be MASSIVE'
'A thrilling debut Express magazine A truly engrossing read from an exceptional new talent. Hilary writes with a beguiling immediacy that pulls you straight into her world on the first page and leaves you bereft when you finish. Intelligent, emotional and totally unexpected in terms of where it goes. I truly loved this book'
'It's a simply superb read - dark and thrilling'
'It's meaty, dark and terrifying. Unflinchingly violent and beautifully big-hearted in equal measure. And Sarah's writing is glorious - she tells us things in new ways, gives us a fully fleshed, sensual world to inhabit for the novel'
'A thinking woman's whodunit'
'It has such pace and force. It's very disturbing and builds up to a terrific climax -- Helen Dunmore There's a tough new female detective on the block - Marnie Rome ... [this] unflinching tale which will get under everyone's skin'
'I think it must be one of the debut novels of next year, if not THE debut novel... (It will be if there is any justice in the world!)'
'Intelligently and fluently written with a clever plot and an energetic pace, dealing with harrowing topics and shot through with humanity, I think Sarah's onto a winning series and I really look forward to reading the next instalment'
'It's written with the verve and assurance of a future star and deserves to be a big hit'
'I finished it today and it's completely brilliant, complex, thrilling, brutal, tender, scary and intriguing. What a great book. The pacing is superb, the plot is compelling, the characters are so well drawn. The ending is ingenious'
Richard Jones of Bristol Review of Books
About the Author
Publication date28th August 2014
More books by Sarah Hilary
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherHeadline Book Publishing an imprint of Headline Publishing Group
CategoriesCrime & mystery
It's information about new books so, for a book lover like me, what's not to like!Joan Hill
Lovereading is a world of books. It has everything you need from new to old and much loved classic books. It even give you recommendations!Kate Thurston
It is a website dedicated to those who adore reading It really is a one stop shop for book lovers. Love it!Edel Waugh
With literary excellence, humour and drama, Lovereading's got value and is a real stress-calmer!Siobhan McDowell
Lovereading has all the new books and also suggestions for 'similar' authors whilst waiting for your favourites new books.Carol Peace
I love the honest opinions, recommendations for every genre and every reader, wish lists and Like for Like.Amrita Dasgupta
Lovereading always comes up with great suggestions and has introduced me to enjoyable books and new authors to discover.Gaynor Passmore
Lovereading does a stella job in promoting both new and established authors.Iris Clements