A Game for All the Family
£14.99 saving £3.00 (20%)
when in stock
As soon as this book is back in stock we will send you an email.Compare book price We'd love you to buy your books from Lovereading - especially if we helped you to choose them! But as our mantra is guidance, and that includes guidance on price, please do use our 'Compare Book Price' service to discover if the best value deal is from Lovereading or another specialist bookstore.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
August 2015 Book of the Month.
Ticktock, ticktock, this is a psychological mystery that encourages reading well past bed time and keeps minds ticking over and searching for rational (and perhaps not so rational answers). A Game For All The Family is a standalone novel and the perfect place to start if you haven't yet read anything by Sophie Hannah. The chills start as a family make their way to their new home, Justine tells the tale, then daughter Ellen writes a story that sets off an alarming chain of events. There’s a subtle sense of normality to the words, to the situation, that some seriously twisted deeds attempt to hide behind. The mystery within a mystery whispers possible explanations, incites overthinking and plots some devious trips and falls. This is a book where you may well find yourself searching for questions as well as answers, so enjoy the mental workout and ponder, just how far would you go to protect your family… ~ Liz Robinson
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Jillian McFrederick - 'An intriguing tale about lies, obsession, storytelling, and psychological games. I found the story strangely compelling. A good read for those who like to be challenged psychologically.'
- Fiona Rothery - 'I have always been a fan of Sophie Hannah novels so was eager to read this one. I found the novel to be a compelling and unusual psychological plot which held my interest with its twists and turns until the last few chapters, when unfortunately my interest started to wane due to the long and tedious conclusion.'
- Stephanie Harding - 'She is spot on with keeping you guessing and including so many twists and turns to make sure that you aren’t able to see whats coming. You won’t guess the ending in a million years!'
- Janet Gilliard - 'Don't start this book if you don't have time to finish it in one go. It grabs you from the start and doesn't let go.'
- Elisabeth Thomas - 'A Game For All The Family is a standalone spine chilling novel which will send shivers through anyone who reads it.'
- Cleo Bannister - 'A book to plunge into, wonder which direction it's taking and then come up for air - amazed!'
- Caroline Mathews - 'Not for me, I'm afraid - disappointingly far-fetched and not a book I would recommend.'
- Carol Peace - 'I was gripped until the very end and found myself changing my mind about what was fact and fiction this is a great book and I would thoroghly recommend it.'
- Lisa Lamb - 'I have read and thoroughly enjoyed a few of the Culver Valley Series by the same author so was really looking forward to reading this. Unfortunately, I really struggled with this book.'
- Liz Lyons - 'Sophie Hannah is back to her menacingly psychological best. At times the various themes do distract the reader - but hang on in there - the finale promises not to disappoint.'
- Katie Wright - 'A real marmite book - love it or hate it. Unfortunately it was too unbelievable for me. Overall it is a well constructed idea but in practice it was just too strange and unbelievable for me.'
- Sophia Ufton - 'Read it now, this book was incredible. Words alone are not enough.'
- Emma Smith - 'The book is cleverly written. A story within a story and a mystery within a mystery. You're never really sure when the twists are coming or what is actually real.'
- Suzanne Marsh - 'A Game for All the Family is one of the coolest psychological novels.'
- Margaret Freeman - 'An extraordinary and weird book.'
- Edel Waugh - 'I have previously read a book by Sophie Hannah so I was familiar with how good a writer she is and this just confirmed that for me.'
A Game for All the Family by Sophie Hannah
'One of the great unmissables of this genre - intelligent, classy and with a wonderfully Gothic imagination' - The Times Justine thought she knew who she was, until an anonymous caller seemed to know better...After escaping London and a career that nearly destroyed her, Justine plans to spend her days doing as little as possible in her beautiful home in Devon. But soon after the move, her daughter Ellen starts to withdraw when her new best friend, George, is unfairly expelled from school. Justine begs the head teacher to reconsider, only to be told that nobody's been expelled - there is, and was, no George. Then the anonymous calls start: a stranger, making threats that suggest she and Justine share a traumatic past and a guilty secret - yet Justine doesn't recognise her voice. When the caller starts to talk about three graves - two big and one small, to fit a child - Justine fears for her family's safety. If the police can't help, she'll have to eliminate the danger herself, but first she must work out who she's supposed to be...
'One of the great unmissables of this genre - intelligent, classy and with a wonderfully Gothic imagination' The Times
'For those who demand emotional intelligence and literary verve from their thrillers, Sophie Hannah is the writer of choice' Guardian
About the Author
Publication date13th August 2015
More books by Sophie Hannah
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherHodder & Stoughton Ltd an imprint of Hodder & Stoughton General Division
CategoriesCrime & mystery
Thriller / suspense
Their sending me my first book to review 18 months ago re-awakened my fondness for reading, since then I have purchased some real gems.Barry Griffiths
I love the 'like for like' author recommendations, it's like an old friend whispering in your ear.Emma Caddick
If you love reading, then you'll love Lovereading! Full of tips & info for every discerning reader.Lynne Rapson
I love reading because my cares & woes vanish for an hour or two whilst I read of the joys, adventures, lives of the characters in the book.Jennifer Moville
If you LOVE reading then you will love LOVEREADING! It's a 'novel' idea. Seriously though I could not recommend them enough.Rebecca Whymark
Hooked on books? Give Lovereading a go - for the chance to discover brilliant books, and to see why our members love it so.Claire Hill
My horizons have been broadened by some of the books I have been lucky to review and I expect it to be no different in the future.Daran Bellingham
The selections are so varied and the reader reviews are so helpful. A fantastic website for those who love books.Ann Quintilla