What Remains of Me
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
December 2016 Book of the Month.
A clever, thrilling tale full of impact and drama set in the heart of Hollywood. In 1980 17 year old Kelly is convicted of murder, 30 years later and five years after her release, she finds herself once again in the spotlight. Another murder hits the headlines, everyone has already made their decision, but is Kelly guilty or innocent? My attention was snared from the get go, the tale spins between 1980 and 2010, each time change surprising my thoughts as I was so deeply immersed in the story. A. L. Gaylin plays, toys and teases with your reasoning as a number of possibilities open up before you. Kelly is an enigma, other peoples thoughts, reports and articles kept my judgement of her in limbo. There are surprises aplenty, and even when you're expecting them, they are written in such a way, and at such a moment in the story, that they still have the ability to disconcert. ‘What Remains Of Me’ is a riveting corkscrewing rollercoaster of a read, I recommend letting go of reality, throwing your arms up in the air, and just enjoying the ride. ~ Liz Robinson
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. Read the full reviews here.
- Phylippa Smithson - 'a credible plot that leaves you guessing at every turn of the page as to ‘who dunnit,’...this compelling crime thriller comes very highly recommended.'
- Celia Cohen - 'A good psychological thriller which will keep you guessing all the way.'
- Rachel Aygin - 'This book is a total mystery and reading it is like peeling an onion – as each layer is removed more secrets are revealed, leaving the reader feeling even more puzzled...Very intriguing – keeps you guessing until the end.'
- Emily Curnow - 'It culminates in an unexpected conclusion which can not fail to shock. The reader is kept on their toes until the very end. A compulsive novel full of twists.'
- Edel Waugh - 'This is the story about a woman called Kelly who is at the centre of two crimes , one in the past and one in present day.'
- Jane Brown - 'This is a great thriller, well recommended...Well written - an author to look out for.'
- Judith Smith - 'A gripping tale with believable and sympathetic characters.'
- Sarah Tilley - 'A cracker of a thriller, once you start reading you won't want to put it down.'
- Doreen McKeown - 'This is an American crime novel, rather outside my comfort zone...I think people who like this genre will enjoy this book, but I found it hard going.'
- Janet Gilliard - 'I really enjoyed this book. It's a crime novel with a twist and intelligently written.'
- Angie Rhodes - 'This is such a good read: murder, secrets, confessions, friendship, and the 80s!! what's not to love??'
- Kate - 'I really liked it and will be keen to read more of Gaylins books as I’ve never come across them before.'
- Emily Wright - 'In Gaylin’s hands what could have been a disjointed novel is tautly plotted and compelling, with intricate twists and turns throughout.'
- Carol Attridge - 'It's not until the last quarter of the book it all starts falling into place and all the suspicions you had or didn't have fall into place and you get that ahhh moment.'
- Kathryn Whitfield - 'It was a great suspense novel and I will be looking out for more from this author.'
- Ed Robson - 'What Remains of Me is a disappointing thriller that offers little in the way of tension, characterisation or plot twists.'
- Jayne Burton - 'I thoroughly enjoyed this book by an author I haven’t read before. Well worth a read – a thriller at it’s best.'
- Beth Winsor - 'Lots of twists and turns! The book as a whole was entertaining and gripped throughout.'
- Sharon Wood - 'I did quite enjoy the double twist at the end so the book ended with a bit of a wry smile.'
- Emily Wright - 'Just when I thought all the secrets and lies had been peeled back to reveal the novel’s dark heart, the final chapters continued to surprise me with yet more chilling revelations…'
- Dawn - 'Thoroughly enjoyed this thriller, jumping back and forth in time with many twists and turns along the way.'
Win an exclusive Lovereading Canvas bag worth £9.99
This month we have 3 of our sturdy, exclusive and simply gorgeous Lovereading Canvas book bags. To have a chance of winning this wonderful prize, click the button below.
Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter. Draw closes on 2 May 2017. The winner will be chosen randomly from all entrants and will be notified by 14 May 2017.
Our canvas bags are also available for sale with an RRP of £9.99. However, if you spend more than £25.00 on books, through Lovereading, you can claim one totally FREE OF CHARGE! Or spend over £15.00 on books, through Lovereading, and you can buy one for the special price of just £4.99. Click here to find out more.
Here's what one of our members thinks of her bag
A big thank you for the two Lovereading bags I ordered, which have arrived safely. I love mine and will use it with pride. The bags are lovely quality, sturdy and support a good cause in the Rewrap initiative; I think they make the perfect accessory for any book lover. The second bag was a gift for my sister and she says she will take it to her next book group meeting to help spread the Lovereading word. Once again, many thanks. Emily Wright
What Remains of Me by A. L. Gaylin
People don't need to know you're a murderer. They just have to think you could be...June 1980: 17-year-old Kelly Lund is jailed for killing Hollywood film director, John McFadden Thirty years later, Kelly is a free woman. Yet speculation still swirls over what really happened that night. And when her father-in law, and close friend of McFadden is found dead - shot through the head at point-blank range - there can only be one suspect. But this time Kelly has some high-profile friends who believe she's innocent of both crimes. But is she?
'You'll stay up late to read this' Laura Lippmann
'Full of crackling energy and heartache.' Megan Abbott
'An exceptional book by and exceptional writer. Gaylin is an expert at acute emotional observation combined with seamless plotting. I adored this book.' -- Alex Marwood
'Prepare to be blown away by this powerfully suspenseful and richly atmospheric novel' -- Jennifer McMahon, New York Times bestselling author of The Night Sister
'What Remains of Me is a riveting, emotionally complex thriller, filled with characters who jump from the page and grab your heart until you reach the final, stunning twist. This is Alison Gaylin in top form' -- Alafair Burke
About the Author
Publication date1st December 2016
AuthorA. L. Gaylin
More books by A. L. Gaylin
Author 'Like for Like'
PublisherArrow (Young) an imprint of Cornerstone
CategoriesCrime & mystery
Thriller / suspense
Modern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
I love the newsletter with reviews of all the new books coming out. Can't wait to open it when it arrives in my inbox.Rachel Aygin
The books for review are always great reads, brilliantly written, and introduces me to a huge variety of, established and new, authors.Lesley Hart
Love Reading - it not only does what it says on the tin, it does it with Jam on!!Maz Tucker
With literary excellence, humour and drama, Lovereading's got value and is a real stress-calmer!Siobhan McDowell
I love reading books I wouldn't normally choose before everyone else gets to read them!Dawn Lynch
Thanks to Lovereading I have discovered new writers and read books I would never had looked twice at - and enjoyed them.Angela Rhodes
Love books. Love reading. Love reading books. And, here's the trick. Here's a website which caters for people like me.Ian Harvey-brown
It's information about new books so, for a book lover like me, what's not to like!Joan Hill