Crimson LakeCrimson Lake Series Series
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
Sharp, clever Australian crime thriller constructed around the compelling set-up of Detective Ted Conkaffey being accused - but not convicted - of the abduction, rape and strangulation of a thirteen year-old girl. Now estranged from his family, Ted has moved to Crimson Lake, hoping to escape the constant harassment that comes with being tried for such a crime, but very aware that he could be rearrested at any moment. Ted lives a hermit’s life until he meets straight-talking, effervescent Amanda Pharrell. Being a convicted murderer who’s now working as a private investigator, she also knows a thing or two about being a pariah. She and Ted spark up a joshing, bickering, brilliantly evoked sibling-like relationship as they investigate the disappearance of a local bestselling author, Jake Scully. While forensic evidence confirms that Jake was eaten by a crocodile, how and why this happened is as clear as Crimson Lake’s murky waters.
The intense investigation uncovers a veritable viper's nest of secrets and, along the way, both Ted and Amanda discover some revelatory truths about each other’s cases, and the very final twist is a stroke of gasp-inducing genius. Menacing, absorbing and edgily entertaining, it’s no wonder Candice Fox is being celebrated as a new star of crime fiction. ~ Joanne Owen
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Nicola Kingswell - 'An edge-of-your seat page turner with three mysteries rolled into one...Crimson Lake is a fabulous fast paced read, entwining three mysteries in one great novel.'
- Catherine Hogwood - 'A uniquely intertwined crime novel, expertly written, with characters hiding from themselves as well as others.'
- Cathy Small - 'Meet Ted Conkaffey who was a police officer until he stopped in a bus stop beside 13 year old Claire Bingley...His story unfolds with no one he can trust except convicted killer Amanda. Will the truth ever be told only time will tell.'
- Angela Rhodes - ' Candice Fox is an exciting new voice from Australia.'
- Sabine Little - 'A slow burner with complex relationships - one of the best crime novels I've read in a long time.'
- Sheila Dale - 'Well written and very readable thriller, hope for more from this author.'
- Linde Merrick - 'Crimson Lake is such a masterfully constructed thriller that I found I didn't want to put it down.'
- Tanya Thurling - 'I must admit that before this book I'd never even heard of Candice Fox. Now I've finished it I'm wondering why on earth not! Read it. You won't be disappointed.'
- Julie Bertschin - 'A great page turning mystery which illustrates how difficult it is to overcome being in the public eye for a crime for which you are not responsible. A great read!'
- Dana Captainino - 'Undeterred the two outcasts pursue Jake's story relentlessly scratching and chiselling beneath the surface until the shocking truth emerges...'
- Edel Waugh - 'a really great mystery surrounding a missing author whose disappearance becomes unsettling. If you enjoyed Stephen King's Misery then check this out!'
Win an exclusive Lovereading Canvas bag worth £9.99
This month we have 3 of our sturdy, exclusive and simply gorgeous Lovereading Canvas book bags. To have a chance of winning this wonderful prize, click the button below.
Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter. Draw closes on 2 May 2017. The winner will be chosen randomly from all entrants and will be notified by 14 May 2017.
Our canvas bags are also available for sale with an RRP of £9.99. However, if you spend more than £25.00 on books, through Lovereading, you can claim one totally FREE OF CHARGE! Or spend over £15.00 on books, through Lovereading, and you can buy one for the special price of just £4.99. Click here to find out more.
Here's what one of our members thinks of her bag
A big thank you for the two Lovereading bags I ordered, which have arrived safely. I love mine and will use it with pride. The bags are lovely quality, sturdy and support a good cause in the Rewrap initiative; I think they make the perfect accessory for any book lover. The second bag was a gift for my sister and she says she will take it to her next book group meeting to help spread the Lovereading word. Once again, many thanks. Emily Wright
Crimson Lake by Candice Fox
12.46: 13-year-old Claire Bingley stands alone at a bus stop 12.47: Ted Conkaffey parks his car beside her 12.52: The girl is missing...Six minutes - that's all it took to ruin Detective Ted Conkaffey's life. Accused but not convicted of Claire's abduction, he escapes north, to the steamy, croc-infested wetlands of Crimson Lake. Amanda Pharrell knows what it's like to be public enemy no.1. Maybe it's her murderous past that makes her so good as a private investigator, tracking lost souls in the wilderness. Her latest target, missing author Jake Scully, has a life more shrouded in secrets than her own - so she enlists help from the one person in town more hated than she is: Ted Conkaffey. But the residents of Crimson Lake are watching the pair's every move. And for Ted, a man already at breaking point, this town is offering no place to hide...
'One of the best crime thrillers of the year.' -- Lee Child
'A bright new star of crime fiction.' -- James Patterson
'A masterful novel ... Definitely a writer to watch.' -- Harlan Coben
About the Author
Publication date4th May 2017
More books by Candice Fox
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherArrow Books Ltd an imprint of Cornerstone
CategoriesCrime & mystery
Espionage & spy thriller
Why I love @lovereadinguk? It's in the name - as dedicated lovers of reading, they are perfect matchmakers for helping me find my next read!Catherine Jenkins
I 'Lovereading' because it lets me see what new books are around with a detailed synopsis and readers' reviews.Judith Sharp
I love 'try before you buy' extracts. I love the wide range of authors & genres. I love the author info. I love books!Judi Davies
Hooked on books? Give Lovereading a go - for the chance to discover brilliant books, and to see why our members love it so.Claire Hill
I love the newsletter with reviews of all the new books coming out. Can't wait to open it when it arrives in my inbox.Rachel Aygin
I read new, exciting writers and established authors before publication and there is a great website full of brilliant books and opinions.Lynda
You can trust Lovereading to show unbiased reviews by actual, ordinary readers that help likeminded booklovers choose their next great read.Linda Hill
If you LOVE reading then you will love LOVEREADING! It's a 'novel' idea. Seriously though I could not recommend them enough.Rebecca Whymark