This edition has not yet been published
If available, why not choose another format from the 'Other Formats' box on the right.
Crimson LakeCrimson Lake Series Series
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
As soon as this book is published
we will send you an email.
Please login (or signup) to pre-order this book
You will need to Sign Up or Login to pre-order this book, as we have to know where to send it when it's published.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password\nand let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
Sharp, clever Australian crime thriller constructed around the compelling set-up of Detective Ted Conkaffey being accused - but not convicted - of the abduction, rape and strangulation of a thirteen year-old girl. Now estranged from his family, Ted has moved to Crimson Lake, hoping to escape the constant harassment that comes with being tried for such a crime, but very aware that he could be rearrested at any moment. Ted lives a hermit’s life until he meets straight-talking, effervescent Amanda Pharrell. Being a convicted murderer who’s now working as a private investigator, she also knows a thing or two about being a pariah. She and Ted spark up a joshing, bickering, brilliantly evoked sibling-like relationship as they investigate the disappearance of a local bestselling author, Jake Scully. While forensic evidence confirms that Jake was eaten by a crocodile, how and why this happened is as clear as Crimson Lake’s murky waters.
The intense investigation uncovers a veritable viper's nest of secrets and, along the way, both Ted and Amanda discover some revelatory truths about each other’s cases, and the very final twist is a stroke of gasp-inducing genius. Menacing, absorbing and edgily entertaining, it’s no wonder Candice Fox is being celebrated as a new star of crime fiction. ~ Joanne Owen
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Nicola Kingswell - 'An edge-of-your seat page turner with three mysteries rolled into one...Crimson Lake is a fabulous fast paced read, entwining three mysteries in one great novel.'
- Catherine Hogwood - 'A uniquely intertwined crime novel, expertly written, with characters hiding from themselves as well as others.'
- Cathy Small - 'Meet Ted Conkaffey who was a police officer until he stopped in a bus stop beside 13 year old Claire Bingley...His story unfolds with no one he can trust except convicted killer Amanda. Will the truth ever be told only time will tell.'
- Angela Rhodes - ' Candice Fox is an exciting new voice from Australia.'
- Sabine Little - 'A slow burner with complex relationships - one of the best crime novels I've read in a long time.'
- Sheila Dale - 'Well written and very readable thriller, hope for more from this author.'
- Linde Merrick - 'Crimson Lake is such a masterfully constructed thriller that I found I didn't want to put it down.'
- Tanya Thurling - 'I must admit that before this book I'd never even heard of Candice Fox. Now I've finished it I'm wondering why on earth not! Read it. You won't be disappointed.'
- Julie Bertschin - 'A great page turning mystery which illustrates how difficult it is to overcome being in the public eye for a crime for which you are not responsible. A great read!'
Crimson Lake by Candice Fox
12.46: 13-year-old Claire Bingley stands alone at a bus stop 12.47: Ted Conkaffey parks his car beside her 12.52: The girl is missing...Six minutes - that's all it took to ruin Detective Ted Conkaffey's life. Accused but not convicted of Claire's abduction, he escapes north, to the steamy, croc-infested wetlands of Crimson Lake. Amanda Pharrell knows what it's like to be public enemy no.1. Maybe it's her murderous past that makes her so good as a private investigator, tracking lost souls in the wilderness. Her latest target, missing author Jake Scully, has a life more shrouded in secrets than her own - so she enlists help from the one person in town more hated than she is: Ted Conkaffey. But the residents of Crimson Lake are watching the pair's every move. And for Ted, a man already at breaking point, this town is offering no place to hide...
'One of the best crime thrillers of the year.' -- Lee Child
'A bright new star of crime fiction.' -- James Patterson
'A masterful novel ... Definitely a writer to watch.' -- Harlan Coben
About the Author
Publication date20th April 2017
More books by Candice Fox
Author 'Like for Like'
PublisherArrow Books Ltd an imprint of Cornerstone
CategoriesCrime & mystery
Espionage & spy thriller
It has opened my eyes to different authors and genres. Just log on and try, you will be surprised and not want for reading material again.Jocelyn Garvey
As for why I'd recommend Lovereading, it's simple - it's a great place to get information and reviews about new books!Margaret Freeman
It gives a chance to read about new titles, invites comments from all kinds of readers and is run by such a nice bunch of book lovers.Joy Bosworth
Because of Lovereading I have broadened my reading horizons with some really great books that I probably would never have chosen myself.Susan Walsh
I love Lovereading because of its ability to connect people that love books & unite them in a friendly, stimulating & interesting community.Megan Olwen William
Lovereading are lovely people who send me lovely books. What's not to love?Gavin Dimmock
The selections are so varied and the reader reviews are so helpful. A fantastic website for those who love books.Ann Quintilla
Lovereading - a community of people passionate about reading and sharing their views. An incomparable website for book lovers.Helen Clark