This edition has not yet been published
If available, why not choose another format from the 'Other Formats' box on the right.
£12.99 saving £2.60 (20%)
As soon as this book is published
we will send you an email.
Please login (or signup) to pre-order this book
You will need to Sign Up or Login to pre-order this book, as we have to know where to send it when it's published.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password\nand let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
Provocative and compelling, this mind and heart-breaking tale really shouldn't be missed. After a school shooting, 18 year old Maja is finally in court, will she be found innocent or guilty, is she willing offender or naive victim, just what is the truth? Translated from Swedish, this was a huge bestseller in its native country. The words hit with hammer hard intensity from the outset. Maja tells her own tale, from day one in the courtroom, through to events leading up to the shooting, her thoughts and emotions veered from her head, straight into mine. Malin Persson Giolito occasionally allows light and hope to flicker in from beyond the dark, aching intensity. This really is very clever writing indeed, I felt as though my thoughts and feelings were trapped behind a caged door, constantly testing and searching for a way out. ‘Quicksand’ is a challenging, stirring, absolutely cracking read. ~ Liz Robinson
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Victoria Emerson - 'I was thoroughly involved in the story from the first chapter and couldn’t put it down.'
- Phyl Smithson - 'Powerful stuff from a writer who surely ranks high along with the ever growing list of excellent Scandinavian authors.'
- Jo-anne Atkinson - 'What should be a book of clichés turns out to be a gripping tale of disaffected youth and the different facets of being a teenager in Sweden...An exciting and satisfying novel that never lets up.'
- Heather Byrne - 'An excellent, if unnerving read, this novel is fast paced and addictive.'
- Emma Barton - 'This is a gripping story that will keep you guessing until the end, and thinking about it for a long time afterwards.'
- Kerry Bridges - 'A compelling court room drama with a twist, great reading!'
- Alison Bisping - 'A gripping story, very readable and enjoyable.'
- Angie Rhodes - 'it had me gripped from the first page, and didn't let go until the last page was turned.'
- Annie Day - 'The unfolding of the court case keeps you guessing to the end.'
Quicksand by Malin Persson Giolito
There could be two sides to Maja Norberg that shift silently like quicksand: the question is, which one do you believe? Is Maja a normal 18-year-old, the poster girl next door, popular and excelling at her schoolwork, caught in the middle of a terrible tragedy? Or, is she the most reviled teenager in the country? Either way, everyone knows her name. She has spent nine excruciating months in jail, awaiting trial for a mass murder that killed her boyfriend and her best friend, and now the time has come for her to enter the courtroom. What did she do? Or is it what she didn't do that brought her here? Is Maja a cold-blooded murderer or is she just a girl who has lost her way and, as a consequence, now lost the ones she loved?
'Subliminal story, masterfully told.'
Hakan Nesser on Quicksand
'It's awesome! The only credible Swedish courtroom drama I've ever read.'
Jens Lapidus on Quicksand
About the Author
Publication date6th April 2017
AuthorMalin Persson Giolito
More books by Malin Persson Giolito
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherSimon & Schuster Ltd
CategoriesThriller / suspense
It's a lively, independent website with reviews, recommendations and more - with a huge range of books available to buy in all formats.Alison Layland
I 'Lovereading' because it lets me see what new books are around with a detailed synopsis and readers' reviews.Judith Sharp
I love reading books I wouldn't normally choose before everyone else gets to read them!Dawn Lynch
Discover new authors and enjoy old favourites; oodles of literary gems to uncover at Lovereading with candid reviews from real reviewers.Emily Wright
It's information about new books so, for a book lover like me, what's not to like!Joan Hill
I recommend Lovereading because you get honest reviews on a whole range of genres-there's something for everyone. It's the only site I need.Sian Spinney
I read new, exciting writers and established authors before publication and there is a great website full of brilliant books and opinions.Lynda
Lovereading takes the guesswork out of finding your next read with "if you like you'll love" and extracts to help with your decision.Sarah Bruch