The Trophy Child
£12.99 saving £2.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
“How far would a mother go to achieve perfection?” the publisher’s shout line asks. Well how far indeed? Personally I find the line deceptive but I’m not telling you why. Suffice to say that this is an involved family drama with a couple who each have a child from a previous relationship and then one together. Personalities are gradually built and although the shock is a bit predictable, the outcome is not and when the tension rises, the plot turns unexpectedly into new areas. Family drama, psychological thriller and police procedure mix well in a clever, well-written tale with excellent characterisation. This is one for all mystery lovers. ~ Sarah Broadhurst
A 'Piece of Passion' from the Publisher...
'Paula Daly has been called ‘The UK’s answer to Liane Moriarty’ and it’s an apt comparison, although I’d argue that Paula is even better. With her unique blend of wit and intrigue, Paula takes us into everyday situations that are familiar and relatable, and then pushes them to the limit: she makes the ordinary wholly extraordinary. The Trophy Child is an almost impossibly gripping, suspenseful novel, focussing on the effect that a ‘tiger mother’ can have on her family, and the disaster that ensues as one mother's desire for success pushes them all to the brink.' ~ Frankie Gray, Publishing Director, Transworld
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Karen - 'A captivating and intriguing suspenseful read of a family at breaking point and a mother obsessed with pushing her young daughter to the limits.'
- Lisa Wise - 'The story had me gripped and the ending was a great unexpected twist. A great suspense thriller.'
- Nicki Southwell - 'Wow. This is a brilliant read for lovers of murder mysteries and family drama. The family dynamics will keep you reading until you finish.'
- Suzanne Marsh - 'The Trophy Child is my third book that I have read by Paula Daly.'
- Maureen Gourlay - 'This family seem to have it all. But the Blooms are not quite what "Tiger Mother” Karen would have us believe- so when it all falls devastatingly apart, everyone’s secrets are out in the open. Gripping.'
- Susan Coleman - 'Paula Daly writes in a very engaging and approachable way, combining a crime novel with an honest exploration of the complexities of familial relationships.'
- Helen Appleby - 'A gripping psychological thriller with many twists and turns, the Blooms might look like they are leading a normal life but in reality it is anything but.'
- Emma Barton - 'This is a well written tense thriller that will keep you guessing all the way through. Highly recommended.'
- Sarah Harper - 'Set in the stunning scenery of the Lake District this is an intriguing tale with a stunning conclusion. It kept me guessing until the final chapters. Great stuff!'
- Carrie Jones - 'Truly a thriller that kept me guessing until the final pages- I had four potential suspects!'
- Val Rowe - 'A compelling thriller with surprises when you are least expecting them.'
- Linda Boa - 'Another triumph in the crowded domestic noir genre from Paula Daly. Take one very pushy and antagonistic mother, a missing daughter, and a family already under pressure, and watch them implode...'
The Trophy Child by Paula Daly
A doting mother or a pushy parent? Karen Bloom expects perfection. Her son, Ewan, has been something of a disappointment and she won't be making the same mistake again with her beloved, talented child, Bronte. Bronte's every waking hour will be spent at music lessons and dance classes, doing extra schoolwork and whatever it takes to excel. But as Karen pushes Bronte to the brink, the rest of the family crumbles. Karen's husband, Noel, is losing himself in work, and his teenage daughter from his first marriage, Verity, is becoming ever more volatile. The family is dangerously near breaking point. Karen would know when to stop...wouldn't she?
'Another fantastic twisty-turny novel by one of my favourite authors. I am always enthralled by her books and this is her best yet' Jill Mansell
'Sheer perfection. THE TROPHY CHILD is gripping, darkly funny and bound to induce spasms of guilt in even the least pushy parent. I can't remember the last time I was so enthralled. I want to stand on a mountain top and tell everyone to read this brilliant novel' Mark Edwards
About the Author
Publication date26th January 2017
More books by Paula Daly
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherBantam Press an imprint of Transworld Publishers Ltd
CategoriesThriller / suspense
Crime & mystery
Lovereading is a wonderful way to expand my literary horizons, discover inspiring authors & get the chance to read new novels first. #loveitZarina de Ruiter
If you LOVE reading then you will love LOVEREADING! It's a 'novel' idea. Seriously though I could not recommend them enough.Rebecca Whymark
They are bright, breezy and eager to offer a great book, then genuinely listen/respect the review one writes.Maggie Crane
If you love reading, then you'll love Lovereading! Full of tips & info for every discerning reader.Lynne Rapson
Lovereading are lovely people who send me lovely books. What's not to love?Gavin Dimmock
It has opened my eyes to different authors and genres. Just log on and try, you will be surprised and not want for reading material again.Jocelyn Garvey
I love Lovereading because of its ability to connect people that love books & unite them in a friendly, stimulating & interesting community.Megan Olwen William
It has enriched my leisure time by introducing me to a world of books which I would not have previously considered.Val Rowe