Kill the Next One
£10.99 saving £2.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
February 2017 Debut of the Month.
Written by a leading Argentinian crime author but set in the USA, around Boston, this psychological thriller is like a serpent eating its tail, weaving a web of questions, thrills, contradicting itself, reinventing itself and doesn't read at all like a translation at all, more like a Harlan Coben or Linwood Barclay novel with an added touch of madness. A man with a terminal tumour is about to kill himself when he is recruited by a mysterious organisation to kill both an evil person and then another poor soul in a similar sitruation as a way of making their deaths less painful to their relatives, and then next be on the list himself. But he soon discovers he is being manipulated and no one is who they pretend to be. A dizzying maelstrom of false identities, deception on every level, psychiatric complications worthy of Hitchcock ensue by the bucket load and will leave the reader dizzy, guessing over and over until the end. A stomach-churning achievement. ~ Maxim Jakubowski
Maxim Jakubowski February 2017 Highly Recommended.
The Lovereading view...
A vivid and striking tale, this cunning book sticks a foot out when you're not expecting it, and as it trips you up, then swaggers off in the opposite direction. Ted McKay is stopped from committing suicide by a stranger, a man who then offers him a ridiculously practical solution to his problems. The first sentence didn't just capture my attention, it battered it. The more I read, the more questions I had, and the more I wanted to know, to understand. Even though it is full of drama, there is a subtle game at play here, Federico Axat sets jarring notes and fractures in the storyline which made me stop, think, doubt. I relished every second and I recommend accepting the premise and immersing yourself completely. Striking a different and unusual pose, ‘Kill The Next One’ is a memorable, riveting, and thrilling read. ~ Liz Robinson
A 'Piece of Passion' from the Publisher...
Federico Axat has been touted by more than one critic as a disciple of Stephen King, and an early review described KILL THE NEXT ONE as ‘the perfect thriller’, but when I first read it I immediately thought of the films of Pedro Almodóvar. Reading KILL THE NEXT ONE is like disappearing into a maze—an expedition into male paranoia, into that uncomfortable place halfway between delusion and reality—but it’s also highly entertaining and full of action, with surreal plot twists, and a hook at the end of almost every chapter. Axat manipulates the reader from the first brilliant sentence and keeps you turning pages, never sure what’s about to happen, or if you’re being played. ~ Elizabeth Cowell, Senior Editor, Text Publishing.
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Tanya Thurling - ' the postman delivered this book at about 1.pm and by 10pm that night I had finished it. I literally could not put it down! I think that speaks for itself!'
- Clare Topping - 'a compelling novel that, despite not being what I expected, had me turning the pages and not wanting to put it down. I read it in a couple of sittings.'
- Kate - 'Loved it! It’s different and clever.'
- Chris Bertenshaw - 'Excellent thriller that keeps you guessing until the end. Expect it to end up being a different story to one you expect though...I've been after a good thriller and this certainly fit the bill!'
- Susan Wallace - 'I think this is a great psychological thriller in which you often have no idea what is coming next. It’s very readable and enjoyable. I would recommend it.'
- Neil Beattie - 'A perfectly paced thriller. Just when you think you are working it out the roller coaster takes off in another nightmarish direction.'
- Laura Gardner - 'Not your typical thriller...A well written, perfectly put together thriller. Not what I expected but better than I anticipated which is always the best possible result.'
- Humaira - 'This is going to be one of those books that you just have to read. Move over Gone Girl and Girl On The Train'
- Phylippa Smithson - 'Having determined to get to the bitter end, not sure it was time well spent. Disappointed that the potential was not at all realised in the delivery. Great shame.'
Kill the Next One by Federico Axat
Ted has it all: a beautiful wife, two daughters, a high-paying job. But after he is diagnosed with a terminal brain tumour he finds himself with a gun to his temple, ready to pull the trigger. That’s when the doorbell rings.
A stranger makes him a proposition: kill two deserving men before dying. The first is a criminal, and the second is, like Ted, terminally ill, and wants to die. If Ted kills these men he will then become a target himself in a kind of suicidal daisy chain—and won’t it be easier for his family if he’s a murder victim?
Kill the Next One is an audacious, immersive psychological thriller in which nothing is what it seems.
Praise for Federico Axat andKill the Next One:
‘Nightmare imagery, mind-bending plot twists, and a kaleidoscopic storytelling style lend Axat’s tale a vertiginous air, but at the core of this literary fever dream lies an elegantly crafted and emotionally resonant mystery that astonishes, devastates, and satisfies in equal measure.’ Publishers Weekly
‘An absorbing psychological thriller, perfectly measured and balanced. The nerve-racked reader cannot help but keep turning pages, lost in Axat’s labyrinthine twists.’ ABC (Spain)
‘A psychological thriller where nothing is what it seems…and where pieces are moved as in a game of chess.’ El Mundo
About the Author
Publication date26th January 2017
More books by Federico Axat
Author 'Like for Like'
CategoriesThriller / suspense
I love Lovereading because I get to read great books and then get to tell everybody how good they are.Sally Doel
For me, to read is to learn, to reflect, to escape, to think, to contemplate and my time for space and calm.Sally Ellsmore
The selections are so varied and the reader reviews are so helpful. A fantastic website for those who love books.Ann Quintilla
I love the 'like for like' author recommendations, it's like an old friend whispering in your ear.Emma Caddick
It has opened my eyes to different authors and genres. Just log on and try, you will be surprised and not want for reading material again.Jocelyn Garvey
Lovereading does a stella job in promoting both new and established authors.Iris Clements
Lovereading are lovely people who send me lovely books. What's not to love?Gavin Dimmock
Its jam packed with fantastic titles, informative descriptions & fantastic reviews and has a vast array of great features & competitions.Linda Rollins