£12.99 saving £2.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
One of our Books of the Year 2016.
December 2016 MEGA Book of the Month.
A short, emotional and entirely captivating novel based on the real events that surrounded, enclosed and smothered the notorious Mata Hari. Mata Hari is a name that still evokes and conjures vivid images, this is a story that releases fact and weaves in fiction, until you're left with a concentrated, intense tragedy. The prologue introduces the end, a chillingly evocative photo followed by a news report, this may be a novel, but it doesn't feel like one, instead it feels as though reality is spilling from the pages. Several photos add an intensity to the already striking and memorable tale. By writing in letter form, Paulo Coelho allowed me to touch, to feel, to question, he made me look at Mata Hari as a woman rather than an exotic creature. ‘The Spy’ strips glamour, discards enchantment, yet there still remains an air of mystery about the fascinating Mata Hari, and I’m left with her still in my mind, I’m left wanting to know more. ~ Liz Robinson
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Jennifer Stoddart - 'This is the first Coelho book I have read and it will not be my last. The Spy is a moving read, designed to illuminate the life of Mata Hari...compelling and insightful.'
- Marjorie Lacy - 'This is a clever and well written book, the hardback edition is a pleasure to look at and to hold. I can recommend it to you.'
- Phylippa Smithson - 'Boy, if you want to know how far society has come in recognising the right to equality of the sexes, this is the one for you...Powerful writing to inspire a belief that the world really is a fairer place.'
- Lynda DeFreitas - 'Paulo Coelho has used his considerable skills as an author to dispel the myths and show Mata Hari in all her daring, naiveté and courage. This novel is well worth reading.'
- Sarah Musk - 'A brilliant book about a shallow, delusional woman which begs the question - did she deserve to be executed or was she a victim of the paranoia of the times.'
- Cathy Small - 'An enjoyable short story that many could relate to.'
- Sue Burton - 'Enjoyable read and describes how different life was many years ago and how life has changed today.'
- Humaira - 'this book was just phenomenal. I loved everything about it...Mata Hari is a character I will never forget.'
- Edel Waugh - 'Told with compassion and honesty, this would make a great read for those nonfiction book readers out there and for anyone interested in great women of the past.'
- Sheila Dale - 'I have not read Paulo Coelho and wanted to review this as it is completely outside my normal reading. Have to say I did not enjoy it at all.'
Win tickets to Chiddingstone Castle Lit Fest
We have four pairs of tickets to give away to hear Alison Weir at the Chiddingstone Castle Literary Festival Sunday 30 April 4 - 5 pm. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter. Multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once and the prize cannot be exchanged for cash and does not include transport or accommodation. Draw closes on Friday 17 April. The winners will be chosen randomly from all entrants and will be notified by 20 April 2017.
The Spy by Paulo Coelho
When Mata Hari arrived in Paris she was penniless. Soon she was feted as the most elegant woman in the city. A dancer who shocked and delighted audiences; a confidant and courtesan who bewitched the era's richest and most powerful men. But as paranoia consumed a country at war, Mata Hari's lifestyle brought her under suspicion. Until, in 1917 she was arrested in her hotel room on the Champs Elysees and accused of espionage. Told through Mata's final letter, THE SPY tells the unforgettable story of a woman who dared to break the conventions of her time, and paid the price.
ReviewsThe fascinating story of her life is ... beautifully written and gripping. Sunday Mirror
About the Author
Publication date22nd November 2016
More books by Paulo Coelho
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherHutchinson an imprint of Cornerstone
CategoriesModern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
Lovereading has all the new books and also suggestions for 'similar' authors whilst waiting for your favourites new books.Carol Peace
A great place to go to find your next literary escape, and where you don't have to judge a book by its cover!Suzanne Beney
My favourite thing about is the 'like for like' page this has really introduced me to some good reads! That and lots of honest reviews.Sam Lewis
Lovereading tells me about new books before they hit the shelves, lets me find other authors I may like and has great prize draws!Sheila Dale
Books of the month/debuts of the month, kids/adults, fiction/non-fiction, free prize draws and free extracts, what's not to love?Emma Smith
Lovereading is not only an amazing site, but it's one of my very favourites. It's like visiting a fascinating bookstore, but better.Rebecca Jayne Barrett
It has enriched my leisure time by introducing me to a world of books which I would not have previously considered.Val Rowe
Ever purchased a book, read a few pages & thought I'm not going to enjoy this? Honest book reviews mean you'll never have that problem againJill Peters