The Girl Who Came Back
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
‘The Girl Who Came Back’ has a prologue that sends a chill flowing from the pages up into your fingertips, it sends a clear message, this is going to be an unsettling and riveting read. Jules’s life was altered forever by Amelia, Amelia is being released early from prison and rumours suggest she is coming back to the Exmoor town where Jules lives. Jules revisits memories throughout the book, there are no date headings explaining the transitions, they aren't needed, as the time frames change you are immediately placed in the moment. The unmistakable tone of Susan Lewis weaves through this story, she cleverly builds the tension, slowly releasing information, leaving you craving more, yet still completely wrapped up in the storyline. As the ominous events unfold, a feeling of dread floats freely, waiting, restless. This is a captivating family drama, it sets you thinking about justice… can it ever truly be served? ~ Liz Robinson
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review Susan Lewis's earlier title, Too Close to Home. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Sharon Butler - 'As an already huge fan of Susan Lewis, I wasn't surprised to find that I loved this book. The sensitive subject matter is very well tackled and at times brought me to tears. HIGHLY recommended.'
- Judith Waring - 'I read the synopsis on the back before I got stuck in and thought I had the answer worked out already...silly me!! I devoured this book within four days of receiving it.'
- Ann Quintilla - 'A page-turning story about bullying, deceit and fractured relationships.'
- Marie Fitzgerald - 'I defy anyone to read this book slowly or without crying. What a privilege to read such an emotive story.'
- Sarah Harper - 'The story of a perfect family torn apart. Slow at first, it gains momentum towards a shocking conclusion.'
- Ceri Forster - 'Well constructed, realistic and easy to get lost in.Fans of Nora Roberts and Jodi Picoult will not be disappointed.'
- Jane Ashbrook - 'Always readable but a little disappointing.'
- Liz stein - 'A gripping but sad read, with believable characters in real life situations, which was hard to put down.'
- Amanda Gray - 'Relatable, engaging and addictive, Lewis created something special in this novel that not only helped me understand teens as a parent but also understand more about the characters inside.'
- Jacqueline Harper - 'This is no light-weight summer read. Brilliantly written, Susan Lewis highlights the dangers our teenagers can face inside their own rooms & how easy it can be to miss the signs.'
- Phylippa Smithson - 'A family broken largely by the single, significant act of a Father, Husband, Business Partner, Father-in-Law and Friend – superbly engaging relationship plot.'
- Lisa Hall - 'This was an excellent read, and one that tugged at my heartstrings completely.'
- Pam Kennedy - 'I do not normally like this sort of book - one partner leaves home and, after trials and tribulations, the other partner finds someone else or the partner returns. I did however enjoy this book.'
- Cathy Burman - 'A real page turner, a compelling, tear jerking, spellbinding storyline, which will have your emotions jumping all over the place. I loved this book.'
- Rebecca Whymark - 'Storytelling at its best. Well done Susan on another excellent novel. Great for holiday reading! Can't wait for her next one!'
- Beth Winsor - 'Good ideas, poor execution.'
The Girl Who Came Back by Susan Lewis
When Jules Bright hears a knock on the door, the last person she expects to find is a detective bringing her the news she's feared for the last three years. Amelia Quentin is being released from prison. Jules' life is very different now to the one she'd known before Amelia shattered it completely. Knowing the girl is coming back she needs to decide what to do. Friends and family gather round, fearing for Jules' safety. They know that justice was never served; every one of them wants to make the Quentin girl pay. The question is, what will Jules do; and which of them - her or Amelia - has the most to fear?
'Lewis' depiction of inter-familial relationships in her latest novel is so accurate and powerfully emotive that The Girl Who Came Back does more than just tug at your heart strings; her characters almost reach out of the pages and pull you in to their twisted world of sadness and revenge. There's something about the way Lewis so truthfully captures the sensitivity and uniqueness of a mother-daughter bond that makes her novel so gripping; you rather want to unravel the story as if it were happening to your very own family ... It's dark, questioning and beautifully written; if you dare to pick it up, it will utterly absorb you into its twisted tale.' Good to Know
'Compelling and heartbreaking Peterborough Evening Telegraph Relatable, engaging and addictive. Lovereading A gripping story of love, uncertainty and betrayal which leads to a dramatic climax. Susan Lewis at her best.' My Weekly
About the Author
Publication date28th July 2016
More books by Susan Lewis
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherArrow Books Ltd an imprint of Cornerstone
Why I love @lovereadinguk? It's in the name - as dedicated lovers of reading, they are perfect matchmakers for helping me find my next read!Catherine Jenkins
A well laid out site, I love the fact that is separates paranormal fiction from fantasy and horror, which other sites don't.Jen Rainbow
Lovereading always comes up with great suggestions and has introduced me to enjoyable books and new authors to discover.Gaynor Passmore
Lovereading is not only an amazing site, but it's one of my very favourites. It's like visiting a fascinating bookstore, but better.Rebecca Jayne Barrett
Insightful reader reviews and unbiased recommendations. I don't know how I chose books before Lovereading! An essential for all book lovers.Sarah Harper
The best new books on the market, reviewed honestly, to give your readers the best choices.Julie Cook
Discover new authors and enjoy old favourites; oodles of literary gems to uncover at Lovereading with candid reviews from real reviewers.Emily Wright
Lovereading takes the guesswork out of finding your next read with "if you like you'll love" and extracts to help with your decision.Sarah Bruch