The Loving Husband
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
A darkly mesmerising tale exploring trust, love and deeply hidden secrets. Fran’s life is thrown into turmoil, causing her to question her husband, her love and herself, just what is the truth? The prologue emits chills of disquiet, certain words pricked at my awareness, setting unease loose in my mind. Christobel Kent maintains a distance between the reader and Fran, she encourages feelings to flicker backwards and forwards. The Fens skulk in the background, unnerving and intimidating. Constantly moving around in time, never settling, keeping feelings on the edge of uncertainty, ensures a feeling of foreboding envelops ‘The Loving Husband’ and makes for an intriguing and arresting read. ~ Liz Robinson
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Edel Waugh - 'The book literally takes you to the last pages before it will give you a full picture of what happened there and why. If you like a mystery or thriller then add this to your TBR list. Loved it!'
- Cheryl Kinney - 'A scary, gripping and menacing read. I haven’t read any previous work by Christobel Kent, however will definitely be adding her to my list!'
- Elisabeth Thomas - 'A perfectly enjoyable thriller.'
- Jo-anne Atkinson - 'A twisty and intriguing book with a sideways look at a marriage and a hint of topicality. Set in a cold and bleak fenlands, the story echoes the emptiness of the location...Kent is developing into an intriguing and clever writer.'
- Celia Cohen - 'A compelling psychological thriller with many twists and turns.'
- Victoria Whish - 'This book is a psychological thriller that doesn’t let up and will make you question everything and everyone until it’s dramatic and startling conclusion.'
- Sarah Harper - 'Sinister and compelling however certain events were a bit too far-fetched. I wanted to love this more than I did!'
- Genevieve McAllister - 'A dark brooding novel, asking whether we can ever truly understand a marriage - even from the inside.'
- Victoria Emerson - 'A brilliant psychological thriller – I couldn’t put it down!'
- Joan Sidwell - 'This is a creepy addictive page turner, engrossing from the very beginning.'
- Vicky-Leigh Sayer - 'A twisty, at times unsettling novel that will keep you guessing.'
- Clare Turner - 'Well plotted, skilfully narrated and utterly gripping - a great summer read.'
- Jill Peters - 'After a slow, hesitant start I couldn’t put The Loving Husband down.'
- Kathy Howell - 'This book was well worth waiting for...I couldn't put it down!'
- Pam Woodburn - 'The title of this book is certainly a misnomer. Set in the bleakness of the Fens in wintertime, there is a constant air of menace from the outset.'
- Sharon Wood - 'I was quite looking forward to reading this book from the description – “Can you ever truly know the one you love?” but I was frustratingly disappointed. '
- Emily Curnow - 'This novel has so many twists and turns that you are dizzy until the final pages when all is revealed.'
- Kathryn Whitfield - 'On a whole the story was good and page turner.'
The Loving Husband by Christobel Kent
Can you ever truly know the one you love? Fran Hall and her husband Nathan live in a farmhouse on the edge of the Fens with their two children. One February night, when Fran is woken by her baby, she finds the bed empty beside her and Nathan gone. Searching the house for him she makes a devastating discovery. As Fran finds herself under intense police scrutiny, she and her two small children become more isolated as she starts to doubt whether or not she really knew Nathan. Was he really the loving husband that Fran had trusted him to be? As police suspicion grows the questions for Fran begin to mount. Is there something that she is hiding from them - something that she has kept hidden from everyone, including her husband?
'Kent is an extremely fine writer and makes terrific use in particular of the Fens
waterlogged, empty landscape in which secrets can be easily buried if never quite forgotten... Terrifyingly good.' Metro
Shocking in the extreme. The Loving Husband is a twisted psychological thriller' Sun
'Atmospheric and psychologically acute throughout' Sunday Times
'Christobel Kent is one of our most assured thriller writers. The Loving Husband is a perfectly paced and plotted novel' Good Housekeeping
'Firmly in the currently fashionable domestic noir genre, but this is no catchpenny trend-chasing; Kent effortlessly rises above other entries in the field ... the familiar is confronted and inverted and Kent's ace in the hole is her keen penetration of the characters psychology, particularly that of beleaguered heroine Fran' -- Barry Forshaw Financial Times
'Unsettling domestic thriller ... Spooky and skilfully written, this is one to race through' Sunday Mirror
'Fans of a good old-fashioned page-turner will love this' Closer
'A tautly plotted trail of red herrings, scares and eventual revelations that keep the Gone Girl fever-type buzz alive' -- Jon Wise Weekend Sport
'A finely-crafted series of flashbacks ... excellent thriller ... tense, dense, extremely well-plotted and beautifully written, this is a fine example of the Domestic Noir genre' Sunday Irish Independent
'A clever and claustrophobic tale' Literary Review
About the Author
Publication date1st September 2016
More books by Christobel Kent
Author 'Like for Like'
PublisherSphere an imprint of Little, Brown Book Group
CategoriesCrime & mystery
You'll always find what you never knew you were looking for and you're always spoilt for choice.Helen Jones
The selections are so varied and the reader reviews are so helpful. A fantastic website for those who love books.Ann Quintilla
I love the 'like for like' author recommendations, it's like an old friend whispering in your ear.Emma Caddick
It's a lively, independent website with reviews, recommendations and more - with a huge range of books available to buy in all formats.Alison Layland
What can I say, the clue is in the title Lovereading - and awesome books.Sarah Davis
My horizons have been broadened by some of the books I have been lucky to review and I expect it to be no different in the future.Daran Bellingham
At Lovereading there are fabulous books available in every genre, with great reviews to help you pick the right book for you.Teresa O'Halloran
I 'Lovereading' because it lets me see what new books are around with a detailed synopsis and readers' reviews.Judith Sharp