£12.99 saving £2.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
July 2016 Debut of the Month and eBook of the Month.
With an unusual focus, ‘Baby Doll’ is a menacing, yet beautifully compassionate read. Lily escapes captivity after eight years, she has suffered the unthinkable trauma of being mentally and physically abused, when she returns home, will she find it possible to live ‘happily ever after’? Chapters centre on one of four people, each chapter is short, throbbing with intensity, highlighting thoughts and feelings. Hollie Overton has written in a simple style, which feels necessary as the heartrending after effects of the kidnapping come to the fore. With sinister precision, the offender skulks through the pages, waiting, biding his time. I simply galloped through this dramatic tale, hoping yet apprehensive, would justice prevail? Encouraging thoughts to explore different avenues, ‘Baby Doll’ is a gritty, and captivating read. ~ Liz Robinson
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Celia Cohen - 'A taut well written psychological thriller which will hook you from the first page.'
- Jo Hutchinson - 'A fascinating read...‘Baby Doll’ by Hollie Overton is a deeply moving novel that is also fast paced and a truly riveting story.'
- Francesca Ashurst - 'Hollie Overton’s debut novel is a gripping read...a real page turner with plenty of twists and turns along the way which makes for a compelling read.'
- Michelle McKernan - 'A brilliant page-turner. Believable characters interwoven with a great plot made me want to fill even the odd minute with this book. Unpredictable and pacy – A must read.'
- Lisa Hall - 'A tense, uncomfortable read, I was hooked from the very first page.'
- Joan Hill - 'Held captive for over eight years Lily Riser seizes her chance to escape with her young daughter. This is the engaging story of her fight for justice and to make a new future.'
- Suzanne Bellingham - 'It’s a real page turner of a book as you are drawn into the family’s story, how the relationships try to rebuild after the separations and how new relationships emerge.'
- Laura Gardner - 'A difficult subject to read but well worth every minute - Fantastic'
- Laura Delve - 'An incredibly compelling, edge of your seat story that focuses on what happens after you escape years after being abducted.'
- Edel Waugh - 'Terrifying and impossible to put down...A must read book! Add this to your summer reading list.'
- Sandra - 'A fast paced and thrilling novel which is truly un-put-downable. Lily has been held captive for 8 years since she was only 16. We find out what happens when she escapes.'
- Vikki Patis - 'Baby Doll seemed to have all the right ingredients - kidnap, abuse, escape, revenge - for a hard-hitting, moving story. But, sadly, 'Baby Doll' didn't live up to expectations.'
- Nicki Southwell - 'This thriller manages to encompass all the elements of an exciting story.'
- Phylippa Smithson - 'it’s an easy and reasonably appealing read.'
- Tanera Simons - 'Overton's first novel is an engaging insight into the psychological aftermath of abduction and abuse. It is fast-paced, emotional, and I couldn't put it down!'
- Beth Winsor - 'A good read with interesting family dynamics.'
Baby Doll by Hollie Overton
She kept moving forward. She didn't stop. She didn't look back. Lily has been abducted from outside her high-school gates. For eight long years she's been locked away from the outside world. During that time she's changed from a girl into a woman. She's had a baby. And now she has seized her chance and escaped. Running for her life, with her daughter in her arms, she returns to her family and the life she used to know - to her much-loved twin sister Abby, her mum, her high-school boyfriend - and her freedom. But is it possible to go back? Lily's perfect life as a teenager doesn't exist any more. Since she's been gone, her family's lives have changed too, in ways she never could have imagined. Her return, and the revelation of who took her, will send shockwaves through the whole community.
'With a narrative that can only be described as 'nuclear', the story of newly freed Lily and her daughter Sky moves at breakneck speed as she publicly (and very satisfyingly) brings her kidnapper to justice - only to cause seismic eruptions in the lives of her bewildered family and twin, Abby. It's a really good read.' Stylist
'Compelling psychological thriller' Daily Express
'What a compulsive read! A brilliant first novel that kept me transfixed and entertained until the very last page.' -- Tess Gerritsen
About the Author
Publication date30th June 2016
More books by Hollie Overton
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherCentury an imprint of Cornerstone
CategoriesThriller / suspense
The selections are so varied and the reader reviews are so helpful. A fantastic website for those who love books.Ann Quintilla
It gives a chance to read about new titles, invites comments from all kinds of readers and is run by such a nice bunch of book lovers.Joy Bosworth
Lovereading takes the guesswork out of finding your next read with "if you like you'll love" and extracts to help with your decision.Sarah Bruch
It has opened my eyes to different authors and genres. Just log on and try, you will be surprised and not want for reading material again.Jocelyn Garvey
Because of Lovereading I have broadened my reading horizons with some really great books that I probably would never have chosen myself.Susan Walsh
They are bright, breezy and eager to offer a great book, then genuinely listen/respect the review one writes.Maggie Crane
Lovereading is a world of books. It has everything you need from new to old and much loved classic books. It even give you recommendations!Kate Thurston
Lovereading is an amazing place to be, the website is wonderful and to me if I'm sad I'll go here and it cheers me up!Sophia Upton