For the Most Beautiful
£12.99 saving £2.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
February 2016 Debut of the Month.
The story of the Trojan War told by two of its most important, yet often overlooked, characters: Briseis, the slave girl Agamemnon and Achilles fought over, and Krisayis (Shakespeare’s Cressida) promised to the Gods but lover of a prince. Also very present are the Gods themselves, playing with lives, betting on battles and arguing amongst themselves. It is a well-known tale, moving, frightening, bloody. This re-telling shows a feminine side, away from the battles but still dependent on their outcome. It is an engrossing world, easy to fall into. As spies, lovers, slaves and prophets these women of Troy show themselves the equal of the more famous men. Even if you know the story well this is still an entrancing read. ~ Sarah Broadhurst
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Catherine Bryce - 'This is a sheer delight to read - Greek mythology and Greek Gods. I read it in two sittings and wow!!'
- Karen Swanscott - 'A beautifully written and enchanting reimagining of Homer's The Iliad. Emily Hauser opens up this story to a whole new generation from a fresh and unique perspective.'
- Tracey Thomas - 'I started with some trepidation and ended staying up half the night to finish.'
- Alison Layland - 'An inventive, well-researched retelling of the events of The Iliad.'
- Jo-anne Atkinson - 'A lovely re-imagination of the world of the Iliad told from the perspective of the hidden voices, the women...This is a really enjoyable read and the debut of an interesting new voice.'
- Cathy Small - 'Emily brings this story to life as we see the viewpoint from the gods and the mortals. It is a story full of love, deception and war.'
- Jennifer Moville - 'I enjoyed knowing some of the Greek history and mythology but this book rather left me confused.'
- Glenda Worth - 'I was pleasantly surprised as this is not usually the genre that I read, and I will be looking out for other books by this author.'
- Sharon Lowe - 'Interesting, enjoyable, factual. The first of a trilogy from Emily Hauser that brings to life the ancient gods. Looking forward to the others in the series.'
- Sarah Hamid - 'A captivating, original retelling of the story of the Trojan war - with a beautiful dustcover!'
- Edel Waugh - ' A story about Gods and mortals is always going to make an interesting story and this one did not disappoint.'
- Lisa Redmond - 'a wonderful story of love, loyalty and war. I really enjoyed revisiting this classic work and seeing the fresh perspective that the author presents.'
- Isobel Finbow - 'A classic legend for the modern day that is very easily digestible.'
Win tickets to Chiddingstone Castle Lit Fest
We have four pairs of tickets to give away to hear Alison Weir at the Chiddingstone Castle Literary Festival Sunday 30 April 4 - 5 pm. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter. Multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once and the prize cannot be exchanged for cash and does not include transport or accommodation. Draw closes on Friday 17 April. The winners will be chosen randomly from all entrants and will be notified by 20 April 2017.
For the Most Beautiful by Emily Hauser
Three thousand years ago a war took place that gave birth to legends - to Achilles, the greatest of the Greeks, and Hector, prince of Troy. It was a war that made - and destroyed - both men, a war that shook the very foundations of the world. But what if there was more to this epic conflict? What if there was another, hidden tale of the Trojan War that had yet to be told? Now is that time - time for the women of Troy to tell their story. Thrillingly imagined and startlingly original, For the Most Beautiful reveals the true story of true for the first time. The story of Krisayis, daughter of the Trojans' High Priest, and of Briseis, princess of Pedasus, who fight to determine the fate of a city and its people in this ancient time of mischievous gods and mythic heroes. In a novel full of passion and revenge, loyalty and betrayal, bravery and sacrifice, Emily Hauser breathes exhilarating new life into one of the greatest legends of all - in a story that has waited millennia to be told.
'Once in a while something comes along that's so utterly right, so necessary for now, that you wonder why nobody thought of it before. Emily Hauser's stunning debut novel For the Most Beautiful fits this space: a novel that re-imagines the oldest of territories in the freshest of ways - we all grow up learning the story of Helen, whose beauty launched a thousand ships, but why has nobody thought to tell the story of the fall of Troy from the viewpoints of the women central to the action ... Anyway, it's here now, and it's beautiful: rich, fluid prose combined with a sense of time and place that brings ancient Troy wildly, raucously, passionately alive and tells at last the stories of those who really mattered.' -- MANDA SCOTT, bestselling author of Boudica and Into the Fire
'In this her sparkling debut novel classicist Emily Hauser offers a fresh take on the old but living legend spun so artfully in Homer's Iliad. By exploring and exposing their feelings, motivations and thoughts she puts us into the shoes of two key female characters that the original epic poem left tantalisingly undeveloped. Through the rich inner lives of Briseis and Krysayis Ms Hauser not only tells a ripping good story but also causes us to reflect anew on the meanings of war, especially as that affects and afflicts women' -- PAUL CARTLEDGE, Professor of Ancient History at Cambridge
About the Author
Publication date28th January 2016
More books by Emily Hauser
Author 'Like for Like'
PublisherDoubleday an imprint of Transworld Publishers Ltd
Myth & legend told as fiction
What can I say, the clue is in the title Lovereading - and awesome books.Sarah Davis
Thanks to Lovereading I have discovered new writers and read books I would never had looked twice at - and enjoyed them.Angela Rhodes
The best new books on the market, reviewed honestly, to give your readers the best choices.Julie Cook
It has enriched my leisure time by introducing me to a world of books which I would not have previously considered.Val Rowe
I love 'try before you buy' extracts. I love the wide range of authors & genres. I love the author info. I love books!Judi Davies
Books of the month/debuts of the month, kids/adults, fiction/non-fiction, free prize draws and free extracts, what's not to love?Emma Smith
I read new, exciting writers and established authors before publication and there is a great website full of brilliant books and opinions.Lynda
Because of Lovereading I have broadened my reading horizons with some really great books that I probably would never have chosen myself.Susan Walsh