Behind Closed Doors
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
when in stock
As soon as this book is back in stock we will send you an email.Compare book price We'd love you to buy your books from Lovereading - especially if we helped you to choose them! But as our mantra is guidance, and that includes guidance on price, please do use our 'Compare Book Price' service to discover if the best value deal is from Lovereading or another specialist bookstore.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
February 2016 Debut of the Month.
‘Behind Closed Doors’ is an intriguing, sharply gripping debut thriller, where for a fairly short novel, there’s an awful lot packed into the pages. Jack and Grace appear to be a perfect couple however on meeting them, little disturbing jolts of information flicker across the pages, all is not as it first seems. I initially found myself frustrated with Grace, however as the layers built and the story evolved, my irritation melted away. B.A. Paris heads each chapter as either ‘past’ or ‘present’, and they run in a disconcerting way, keeping you on a serrated edge of understanding, as the two pictures gradually fuse into one. I recommend turning away any small moments of disbelief, just allow yourself to be captivated by the story, because ‘Behind Closed Doors’ transforms into a cracking and fiercely intense read. ~ Liz Robinson
A letter feom the Author...
Before I tell you about Behind Closed Doors, I would like to share something a little more personal with you. I have always loved reading. One of my fondest memories is of the travelling library that used to park at the bottom of our road every Monday evening. I can still remember the smell of the books and the feeling of absolute calm that enveloped me as soon as I stepped over the threshold, a welcome respite from the hustle and bustle of a busy household, where I was sandwiched in the middle of four brothers. When I was older, I spent many happy hours in our local library, or huddled behind the sofa in our sitting room with my nose in a book, escaping to other worlds, other lives. As soon as I settled in France, I became an enthusiastic member of book clubs, where the amount of tea we drank and the quantity of cakes we ate united us almost as much as our love of reading! Now, five daughters later (I like to think of them as a reward for growing up surrounded by boys!) I’m thrilled that my first book is going to be published in February 2016 by Mira/Harlequin.
All I will say about Behind Closed Doors is that it is a psychological drama and that if you think your partner is a control freak, wait until you meet Jack! I didn’t set out to make him as bad as he is but he obviously thought I wasn’t doing a good enough job and, as the story went on, he took over, making the story so gripping that even I felt shivers down my spine! If you are kind enough to choose my book, I hope you’ll enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. And I’d be delighted to come and speak to your reading group, or answer any questions you may have about Behind Closed Doors, in person. I’m also available on Twitter @BAParisAuthor.
With very best wishes,
In addition to our expert opinion, a small number of our Lovereading reader review panel members were lucky enough to be invited to review this title. You can read the full reviews here.
- Sharon McKinlay - 'A deeply unsettling, chilling book.'
- Phylippa Smithson - 'A 286 page alarming roller coaster of a read that portrays a very disturbing and haunting relationship that is wrong, very, very wrong. Quite brilliant.'
- Laura Gardner - 'A chilling read which will stay with you for a long time.'
- Chris Bertenshaw - 'Highly readable story of a trapped wife with a deranged husband. Good for anyone who likes thrillers that look like there is no hope.'
- Sallyann Spittle - 'What a brilliant book - it had me hooked from the first page.'
- Humaira Kauser - 'Behind Closed Doors was impossible to put down. A riveting and addictive page turner for sure!'
- Danielle Holyland - ‘There's only one word for this book - amazing. This has got to be one of my favourite reads of 2015. I would urge anyone that loves a good thriller to read this book!’
- Angie Rhodes - ‘Behind Closed Doors is excellent - as the story unfolds, you the reader become panic stricken, hardly daring to breathe, turning the page ever so slowly so that you don't break the hypnotic spell B.A. Paris has woven, with her first novel. Can't wait for the next one!’
- Sarah Borley - ‘Behind Closed Doors is a book about secrets, lies and what really happens behind closed doors.’
- Suzanne Marsh - ‘B. A. Paris is most certainly going to be an author to keep a watch out for in the future. I couldn't put the book down I just loved every page of Behind Closed Doors.’
- Edel Waugh - ‘Domestic abuse can be a difficult situation to understand, but I think the author did an excellent job of showing how a normal woman can get fooled and pulled into a relationship with a domestic abuser.’
- Vikki Patis - ‘The plot itself is fascinating and intricate. It holds terror and humour, shock and relief, and manages to twist and turn several times throughout the short novel.’
- Anne Cater - ‘B A Paris is a very gifted author, this story is incredibly well written and deals with the darkest and most evil of issues.’
Sharon Wood - ‘Creepy and disturbing, but also addictive! A psychological thriller in the same genre as Gone Girl and the Girl on the Train.’
- Gavin Dimmock - ‘Can the perfect couple in the perfect home really be so perfect? A less than perfect read for this reviewer.’
- Sarah Harper - 'An utterly compelling journey through the darker side of the human psyche. Your blood will run cold but you won’t be able to stop reading, I promise you that.'
Behind Closed Doors by B. A. Paris
The perfect marriage? Or the perfect lie? Everyone knows a couple like Jack and Grace. He has looks and wealth, she has charm and elegance. You might not want to like them, but you do. You'd like to get to know Grace better. But it's difficult, because you realise Jack and Grace are never apart. Some might call this true love. Others might ask why Grace never answers the phone. Or how she can never meet for coffee, even though she doesn't work. How she can cook such elaborate meals but remain so slim. And why there are bars on one of the bedroom windows. Sometimes, the perfect marriage is the perfect lie.
Reviews'If you love The Girl on the Train read Behind Closed Doors.' - Elle 'The tension builds almost unbearably' - Good Housekeeping 'This outstanding debut novel will leave you breathless.' - Bella 'This one is 2016's answer to Gone Girl. 'Nuff said.' - Women's Health UK 'It took me just an afternoon to read this book and by the end, my heart was pounding. If you like fast and frantic stories, you'll love this.' -The Sun 'Brilliant, chilling, scary and unputdownable' -Lesley Pearse, bestselling author of Without a Trace 'Behind Closed Doors'
is an intriguing, sharply gripping debut thriller
' - Lovereading.co.uk 'BEHIND CLOSED DOORS is both unsettling and addictive, as I raced through the pages to find out Grace's fate. A chilling thriller that will keep you reading long into the night.' -Mary Kubica, bestselling author of The Good Girl 'Behind Closed Doors gives us a glimpse into the realities of a 'perfect marriage', with addictive and heart pounding moments guaranteed to have you looking at your friends and neighbours differently.' -Margaret Madden, Bleach House Library 'An utterly compelling journey through the darker side of the human psyche. Your blood will run cold but you won't be able to stop reading, I promise you that.' - Sarah Harper, Lovereading reviewer 'This has been one of my best reads EVER and will be huge in 2016. Congratulations to B A Paris on a remarkable debut book' - Shelley Bennett, THE Book Club member 'This book just has to be huge in 2016. I flew through it in two breathless sittings. Quite simply: astounding.' - SJI Holliday, author of Black Wood'
About the Author
Publication date11th February 2016
AuthorB. A. Paris
More books by B. A. Paris
Author 'Like for Like'
PublisherMira an imprint of Harlequin (UK)
CategoriesThriller / suspense
Thanks to Lovereading I have discovered new writers and read books I would never had looked twice at - and enjoyed them.Angela Rhodes
You'll always find what you never knew you were looking for and you're always spoilt for choice.Helen Jones
Because of Lovereading I have broadened my reading horizons with some really great books that I probably would never have chosen myself.Susan Walsh
They are bright, breezy and eager to offer a great book, then genuinely listen/respect the review one writes.Maggie Crane
It's the first site that I visit when deciding on the next set of books to buy. A particular treat is being able to download an extract.Tessa Olson
The best new books on the market, reviewed honestly, to give your readers the best choices.Julie Cook
Lovereading has given me the opportunity to delve into new and exciting worlds of authors who I would never have tried before.Glynis Elliott
I read new, exciting writers and established authors before publication and there is a great website full of brilliant books and opinions.Lynda