When We Were Friends
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
May 2015 Book of the Month.
We meet six female friends in the present day and learn a bit about their history together. There is the high achiever, the one with marriage problems, the recently widowed, the happy one, the scatty one, the safe one. We then get some back stories. In the present they meet in Hyde Park for a reunion, a get-together which is actually a bit of an ordeal for everyone and has been for some time, only no-one will admit to it. This year, in the pitch dark, they get completely drunk and lots of unpleasant truths emerge. As they break up it sounds like one has fallen in the Serpentine but the rest ignore it. Three days later her drowned body is discovered. Now things get really interesting. With murder, rape, deception and some weird stuff, this is quite a tale, one where a group of “friends” should seriously question if they knew the meaning of the word! ~ Sarah Broadhurst
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Julie Bickerdyke - 'I loved this book! It was a much grittier story than I was expecting and very well written.'
- Celeste McCreesh - 'I really enjoyed this book from the very first page, the style of writing was perfect as the story flowed really well throughout.'
- Ann Peet - '...a pacey, compulsive read from an excellent story teller. You really want to find out what really happened in the past and what happens next.'
- Sarah Harper -'A memorable and intriguing story of friendship, growing up and the complex way in which past events can shape the people we become.'
- Richard Hamlin - 'The story does jump regularly between time periods and that did keep me on my toes but as a whole Seskis has written another gripping and unpredictable story and one that I would thoroughly recommend.'
- Gavin Dimmock - 'I loved her first book and with this, her second novel, Ms Seskis is firmly cemented as my favourite new British author. Hurry up with the third. I’m eagerly waiting.'
- Glynis Elliott - 'Oh so many mixed feelings. It was a roller coaster up and down. I did find it confusing as to who was who and didn't really get in to it until Part Two.'
- Suzanne Marsh - 'I loved it so much that I want to spread the word that I one hundred percent recommend readers to buy When We Were Friends.'
- Jan Kirkcaldy - 'Well written yes but I did feel a bit battered at the end of it. Did I enjoy it? Yes up to a point but it did try a bit too hard...'
- Edel Waugh - 'If you enjoy a gripping story about female friendship then this will have you glued to the page!'
- Maggie Crane - 'A book which provides a lively and interesting read, a story which you will not want to put down.
- Charlotte Connolly - 'When I chose this book I was under the impression it was a thriller, but despite a few twists that I didn't see coming, I would put it more in the drama category...'
- Rachel Hall - 'A terrific read which I absolutely loved - I was captivated from the start and Tina Seskis has another big fan to add to her growing collective!'
- Jillian McFrederick - 'The gradual unveiling of the full story is a useful tool which pricks the readers curiosity...All in all a quick, light read that would be perfect for the beach.'
When We Were Friends by Tina Seskis
An earlier version of this novel was published under the title A Serpentine Affair. The addictive new novel from Tina Seskis, author of One Step Too Far. It had always been the six of us. Since we met at university twenty-five years ago, we'd faced everything together. Break-ups and marriages, motherhood and death. We were closer than sisters; the edges of our lives bled into each other. But that was before the night of the reunion. The night of exposed secrets and jagged accusations. The night when everything changed. And then we were five.
Praise for Tina Seskis:
'Clever, intriguing, chilling - and utterly impossible to put down' Grazia
'Taut, compelling... a storming read' The Bookseller Books of the Year 2013 on One Step Too Far
'One Step Too Far is a genius tale with a twist' Stylist
'A whip-smart thriller that keeps you guessing right up until the final shocking twist' Mirror on One Step Too Far
About the Author
Publication date23rd April 2015
More books by Tina Seskis
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
CategoriesModern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
Lovereading is a wonderful way to expand my literary horizons, discover inspiring authors & get the chance to read new novels first. #loveitZarina de Ruiter
Love Reading - it not only does what it says on the tin, it does it with Jam on!!Maz Tucker
Because of Lovereading I have broadened my reading horizons with some really great books that I probably would never have chosen myself.Susan Walsh
Insightful reader reviews and unbiased recommendations. I don't know how I chose books before Lovereading! An essential for all book lovers.Sarah Harper
I love 'try before you buy' extracts. I love the wide range of authors & genres. I love the author info. I love books!Judi Davies
Lovereading does a stella job in promoting both new and established authors.Iris Clements
Lovereading is pitched at just the right level for all the various types of people who enjoy reading in its many forms.Pam Woodburn
I love that Lovereading handpicks very special debut reads.Magda North