The Wolf Road
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
April 2017 Debut of the Month.
Uniquely voiced, elementally powerful literary thriller that crackles with page-turning tension.
Aged seven, gutsy Elka ran away from her nana and wound up getting lost in a forest. She was found by Trapper, a lone hunter whose “voice had a breath of kindness to it”. But when Elka learns that the man she’s come to call Daddy is a “murdering, kid-killing bastard”, she flees him in search of her “true momma and daddy”, who left her in pursuit of gold rush riches. But the wild land Elka traverses is populated by wolves, bears and the kind of humans a person could do without encountering…
The framing theme of hunting and searching - especially Elka’s sense of being tracked, and her raw instinct for survival - makes for a serious edge-of-your-seat experience. ~ Joanne Owen
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Catherine Price - 'A compelling read, with a strong yet innocent female lead character, whose journey through a post-apocalyptic wilderness to find her parents is as exciting and strange as anything I have read...this is a unique voice: strong, dark and witty, and full of truth.'
- Glenda Worth - 'Wolf Road - realistic characters and an unusual setting. Although post-apocalyptic it could be set way back. Murder, survival and hope of peace all covered, Elka's journey leaves you breathless.'
- Sheila Johnson - 'Dystopian novel but bleak.'
- Sue Burton - 'This was a book that was hard to put down....For a fast and adventurous read, with unusual characters, this will be a good summer read for you.'
- Jan Kirkcaldy - 'Definitely different is what springs to mind and not a genre (whatever it might be) with which I am familiar, which at first made it interesting.'
- Catherine Bryce - 'A thrilling and superb read - a must for your Reading List!..The reader's emotions are on a roller coaster with the action that is packed within the story.'
- Victoria Emerson - 'I was excited to read The Wolf Road by Beth Lewis but sadly I just didn't like it.'
- Victoria Goldman - 'The Wolf Road is intelligent and unique and filled with raw emotion. It's very dark, with beautiful vivid writing. Simply stunning! The Wolf Road totally 'wowed' me, and not many books do that.'
Win an exclusive Lovereading Canvas bag worth £9.99
This month we have 3 of our sturdy, exclusive and simply gorgeous Lovereading Canvas book bags. To have a chance of winning this wonderful prize, click the button below.
Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter. Draw closes on 2 May 2017. The winner will be chosen randomly from all entrants and will be notified by 14 May 2017.
Our canvas bags are also available for sale with an RRP of £9.99. However, if you spend more than £25.00 on books, through Lovereading, you can claim one totally FREE OF CHARGE! Or spend over £15.00 on books, through Lovereading, and you can buy one for the special price of just £4.99. Click here to find out more.
Here's what one of our members thinks of her bag
A big thank you for the two Lovereading bags I ordered, which have arrived safely. I love mine and will use it with pride. The bags are lovely quality, sturdy and support a good cause in the Rewrap initiative; I think they make the perfect accessory for any book lover. The second bag was a gift for my sister and she says she will take it to her next book group meeting to help spread the Lovereading word. Once again, many thanks. Emily Wright
The Wolf Road by Beth Lewis
A debut literary thriller from an incredible new voice. What do you do when the man who gave you everything turns out to be a killer? Perfect for fans of STATION ELEVEN by Emily St. John Mandel. Trapper was my family even though I didn't know a sure thing about him...Trapper was the kind a' family you choose for yourself, the kind that gets closer'n blood. He was what I chose and I chose wrong. Lost in the harsh forest as a child, Elka was taken in and raised by the man she calls Trapper, the solitary hunter who taught her all she knows. So when Elka sees the Wanted poster in town, her simple existence is shattered. Her Trapper - Kreagar Hallet - is wanted for murder. Even worse, Magistrate Lyon is hot on his trail, and she wants to talk to Elka. As winter sets in, Elka flees into the vast wilderness, determined to find her real parents. But Lyon is never far behind, and she's not the only one following Elka's every move. Soon Elka must confront the darkest memories of her past- and end Trapper's killing spree for good.
'An intriguing tale of post apocalyptic survival ... One of those books one picks up instead of turning on the television ... Read this book for the characters and the tale of how they develop against a stark backdrop of survival in a crumbled world'
'What a voice Elka has, marvellously sustained'
Rob Ewing, author of The Last of Us
'Arresting ... Lewis takes the reader on an odyssey that highlights the striking wilderness landscape and Elka's grit'
'The Wolf Road is an extraordinary novel - dark and funny and full of wild energy. Elka is a brilliant creation - fierce and vulnerable at the same time. Her story and her voice pull you in from the first page and never let you go. Gripping and unforgettable'
Antonia Hodgson, author of The Devil in the Marshalsea
About the Author
Publication date23rd March 2017
More books by Beth Lewis
Author 'Like for Like'
PublisherThe Borough Press an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
CategoriesThriller / suspense
Lovereading does a stella job in promoting both new and established authors.Iris Clements
It has enriched my leisure time by introducing me to a world of books which I would not have previously considered.Val Rowe
If you LOVE reading then you will love LOVEREADING! It's a 'novel' idea. Seriously though I could not recommend them enough.Rebecca Whymark
What can I say, the clue is in the title Lovereading - and awesome books.Sarah Davis
The best new books on the market, reviewed honestly, to give your readers the best choices.Julie Cook
I love Lovereading because I get to read great books and then get to tell everybody how good they are.Sally Doel
If you love reading, then you'll love Lovereading! Full of tips & info for every discerning reader.Lynne Rapson
Lovereading is an amazing place to be, the website is wonderful and to me if I'm sad I'll go here and it cheers me up!Sophia Upton