Rather Be the Devil
£12.99 saving £2.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
A truly fabulous blast of crime fiction. John Rebus continues to ignore retirement, and an unsolved case haunts his thoughts as he shoulders his way into the middle of a current investigation. Ok, hands up, I confess… this is my first meeting with John Rebus! I will admit to being slightly wary of jumping into the deep end of such a successful and prevalent series, yet immediately felt at home and now can't wait to work my way through the others. John Rebus may wobble on the scales of law and order, but his core sense of integrity, tenacity, and grit, ensure he is someone you would most definitely want on your side. I found myself well and truly caught in the snare of Ian Rankin’s writing; this was so easy to read, yet the story coiled, twisted, and thrashed its way through feuds, murder, and some seriously crooked minds. ‘Rather Be the Devil’ is a compelling, gutsy, proper crime fix, and I wholeheartedly recommend it. ~ Liz Robinson
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Sarah Musk - 'Rebus is back - retired, but unchanged in his ferocious pursuit of criminals who disturb the peace in his beloved home city of Edinburgh...Fans of Inspector Rebus will not be disappointed by this book.'
- Phylippa Smithson - 'With Rankin, the Crime Lords of Edinburgh and an intriguing thriller coming together you know it’s going to be good. Add Rebus and perfection is reached...Thank you Saint Rankin for continuing to bring is the grizzly, exasperating and impeccable Rebus.'
- Edel Waugh - 'A must read for all Rebus fans.'
- Mary Chapman - 'No reader will be disappointed in this Rebus book, I loved it.'
- Marjorie Lacy - 'I was reading quicker and turning the pages quicker!! It dawned on me then, why everybody was reading and talking about Inspector Rebus...No hesitation in recommending this book to everyone I meet.'
- Angie Rhodes - 'John Rebus is back!'
- Kerry Bridges - 'Another exciting chase around Edinburgh's streets, as Rebus and Big Ger Cafferty play their usual cat and mouse games. Rebus is like an old friend and it's always great to see him back.'
- Alison Burns - 'This is another thoroughly enjoyable tale of the dark side of Edinburgh, my home city. The pace is good, the characters as well developed as ever and I rattled through it in no time.'
- Lynda DeFreitas - 'This story follows Rebus and his former colleagues Siobhan Clarke and Malcolm Fox through many twists and turns, and yields another great book from Ian Rankin.'
Rather Be the Devil by Ian Rankin
Hosted by Ian Rankin and the Orion Publishing Group REBUSFEST is a weekend of literature, art, film, music and more to celebrate 30 years of the iconic detective. Taking place in Rankin and Rebus’ hometown of Edinburgh, this is your chance to step in the world of your favourite detective for an unmissable weekend.
Click here to see the line up and to find out how you can buy your tickets.
Ian Rankin says: “I had no idea when I published Knots & Crosses in 1987 that Rebus would still be sharing his adventures – and misadventures – with me thirty years later. It’s a thrill to be spending 2017 celebrating the man, his legacy, and his taste in music. Central to this is RebusFest – a weekend festival in Edinburgh of all things Rebus. I just hope he enjoys all the hoopla – I need him to still be speaking to me afterwards…”
The 21st Inspector Rebus novel from Ian Rankin.
Some cases never leave you. For John Rebus, forty years may have passed, but the death of beautiful, promiscuous Maria Turquand still preys on his mind. Murdered in her hotel room on the night a famous rock star and his entourage were staying there, Maria's killer has never been found. Meanwhile, the dark heart of Edinburgh remains up for grabs. A young pretender, Darryl Christie, may have staked his claim, but a vicious attack leaves him weakened and vulnerable, and an inquiry into a major money laundering scheme threatens his position. Has old-time crime boss Big Ger Cafferty really given up the ghost, or is he biding his time until Edinburgh is once more ripe for the picking? In a tale of twisted power, deep-rooted corruption and bitter rivalries, Rather be the Devil showcases Rankin and Rebus at their unstoppable best.
'Superbly told, impossible to put down, and laced with Rankin's unmistakeable laconic wit it precisely underlines the treasure that Rebus has become.' Daily Mail
'Though it moves at pace, what makes this tale so satisfying is that its protagonists have had time to develop. Rebus's input serves to highlight the benefits of age, experience and keeping a sense of community.' Guardian
'This elegantly crafted and witty thriller proves this old devil still has all the best tunes.' Sunday Mirror
'Rankin is expert at what theorists of realism call the authenticating detail.' Scotland on Sunday
'Essential crime-reading.' SAGA
'This is an interesting and enjoyable novel.' Literary Review
'Rather Be The Devil is an intricate, evocative Edinburgh mystery that builds to a bloody finale. Retirement may not suit Rebus but it's resulted in yet another brilliant book in Rankin's revived crime series.' Crime Scene
'This may be Rebus's 21st outing, but this is a cleverly crafted tale and Ian Rankin's storytelling is as fresh as ever.' Irish News
'The 21st Rebus novel boasts effortless plotting and a cracking narrative that keeps the reader gripped throughout.' Daily Express
'Clever and compelling.' Independent i
'Rather Be the Devil showcases Rankin and Rebus at their unstoppable best.' Challenger
About the Author
Publication date16th March 2017
More books by Ian Rankin
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherOrion (an Imprint of The Orion Publishing Group Ltd ) an imprint of Orion Publishing Co
The selections are so varied and the reader reviews are so helpful. A fantastic website for those who love books.Ann Quintilla
They are bright, breezy and eager to offer a great book, then genuinely listen/respect the review one writes.Maggie Crane
A well laid out site, I love the fact that is separates paranormal fiction from fantasy and horror, which other sites don't.Jen Rainbow
Lovereading are lovely people who send me lovely books. What's not to love?Gavin Dimmock
You can trust Lovereading to show unbiased reviews by actual, ordinary readers that help likeminded booklovers choose their next great read.Linda Hill
Love Reading - it not only does what it says on the tin, it does it with Jam on!!Maz Tucker
It gives a chance to read about new titles, invites comments from all kinds of readers and is run by such a nice bunch of book lovers.Joy Bosworth
I love 'try before you buy' extracts. I love the wide range of authors & genres. I love the author info. I love books!Judi Davies