This edition has not yet been published
If available, why not choose another format from the 'Other Formats' box on the right.
£12.99 saving £2.60 (20%)
As soon as this book is published
we will send you an email.
Please login (or signup) to pre-order this book
You will need to Sign Up or Login to pre-order this book, as we have to know where to send it when it's published.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password\nand let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
A compelling and stylish psychological thriller from a fine new voice in crime fiction.
Indomitable Virginia Knightly is a TV producer with a self-confessed attraction to the “unknowable”, which is how she comes to investigate the disappearance of thirty-year-old Evelyn Carney, a first year associate at a law firm with “ambition and a powerful appeal to men”. Evelyn vanished after walking out on her husband in a Washington restaurant and, while he seems to believe that she’s simply left him for someone else, this doesn’t add up. Why, for example, is Evelyn's case being handled by the C.I.D.? While dealing with complications in her personal life, Virginia’s hunger for the “unknowable” leads into career (and life) threatening danger when she uncovers a tangle of corruption among the elite of Washington’s politicians, press and police.
The author’s insider knowledge as a former crime and politics broadcast producer runs through the whole novel, infusing it with a deep sense of authenticity, and Kovac clearly has a flair for crafting characters you want to know more about. ~ Joanne Owen
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Jan Kirkcaldy - 'So many twists and turns kept you alert to who you could believe and who you couldn’t. Nothing was predictable from start to finish. I enjoyed it, maybe more than most, because so much rang true.'
- Jennifer Moville - 'I loved this book although sometimes it had me gripped to the arm of the chair as I put myself into the role of the characters in the book - one I will definitely read again.'
- Samantha Lewis - 'This was a fantastic read - I thoroughly enjoyed the story and pace of the book...Would definitely recommend and will be looking out for the authors next books!'
- Angie Rhodes - 'The Cutaway starts off with a missing woman and becomes something else.'
- Phylippa Smithson - 'Good thriller, not the most compelling, but different approach as the investigator is a journalist not police detective.'
- Nicki Southwell - 'This action packed thriller will keep you riveted until the end.'
- Janet Gilliard - 'I really enjoyed this well written page turning debut and look forward to Christina Kovac next novel.'
- Debbie Patrick - 'The Cutaway draws you into the tangled world of corruption and cover-up...perfect for fans of Paula Hawkins and Gillian Flynn.'
- Janet Monks - 'A woman goes missing in the heart of Washington and TV producer Virginia endeavours to find out the truth.'
The Cutaway by Christina Kovac
It begins with someone else's story. The story of a woman who leaves a busy restaurant and disappears completely into the chilly spring night. Evelyn Carney is missing - but where did she go? Who was she meeting? And why did she take a weapon with her when she went? When brilliant TV producer Virginia Knightley finds Evelyn's missing person report on her desk, she becomes obsessed with finding out what happened that night. But her pursuit of the truth draws her deep into the power struggles and lies of Washington DC's elite - to face old demons and new enemies. A slick, gripping thriller that moves at the pace of breaking news, The Cutaway will keep your heart hammering until the final page.
ReviewsThe Newsroom meets Gone Girl Cosmopolitan
About the Author
Publication date6th April 2017
More books by Christina Kovac
Author 'Like for Like'
PublisherSerpent's Tail an imprint of Profile Books Ltd
CategoriesCrime & mystery
The books for review are always great reads, brilliantly written, and introduces me to a huge variety of, established and new, authors.Lesley Hart
It's information about new books so, for a book lover like me, what's not to like!Joan Hill
I love 'try before you buy' extracts. I love the wide range of authors & genres. I love the author info. I love books!Judi Davies
A well laid out site, I love the fact that is separates paranormal fiction from fantasy and horror, which other sites don't.Jen Rainbow
It's a lively, independent website with reviews, recommendations and more - with a huge range of books available to buy in all formats.Alison Layland
My horizons have been broadened by some of the books I have been lucky to review and I expect it to be no different in the future.Daran Bellingham
Lovereading helps me decide what real people read.Kerry Bridges
Why I love @lovereadinguk? It's in the name - as dedicated lovers of reading, they are perfect matchmakers for helping me find my next read!Catherine Jenkins