£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
A family drama full of suspense, tension and heartache. Nina’s 15 year old daughter Scarlett is pregnant, and the father is a married man. As the main story moves from before to after the revelation, Scarlett also tells her story, however she won’t say who the father is. Amanda Brooke lights the fuse and then fans the flames, encouraging questions as Nina turns her family inside out in an attempt to find answers and understand what has happened. This is a story deliberately set to challenge, prod and provoke, yet there is an undeniable sense of compassion and empathy touching the pages. As manipulation is revealed and answers haunt the final pages, ‘The Affair’ stands out as an entirely captivating and thought-provoking read. ~ Liz Robinson
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Jennifer Moville - 'A very good read of a story that could happen to any family.'
- Mollie Mayson-Simpson - 'The potential for family-dynamic 'melt-down' is rich, and Brooke exploits it thoroughly - marvellous stuff!'
- Elisabeth Thomas - 'A gripping read...The book kept me hooked right until the very end.'
- Nicola Edwards - 'A gripping story of family relationships, I loved it! I can't wait for the next Amanda Brooke book.'
- Donna Smith - 'Well this book grabbed me and I needed to see it through in just a few sittings.'
- Catherine Dugmore - 'Throughout the book you constantly change your mind as to who could be the father of 15 year old Scarlett's baby. Unexpected emotional twists throughout the whole book. A superb thought provoking read.'
- Ann Peet - 'Unpredictable and compelling story about family relationships and how teenagers' insecurities can be manipulated.'
- Sue Burton - 'Fantastic book about real life issues that occur within a family and also about relationships and how small things and actions can turn to distrust.'
- Nicki Southwell - 'You won't be able to put this down once you start reading. Wow. This is a really good read, in my opinion, and I really enjoyed it.'
- Celia Cohen - 'An enjoyable book although quite harrowing at times... Very well done, as usual by Amanda Brooke, she is an excellent writer.'
- Humaira - 'This book will be hard to forget...Amanda Brooke's writing is one of a kind. It was captivating yet at the same time I felt uncomfortable because of the situation.'
- Rachel Aygin - 'When I got to the end I immediately found myself checking out what else Amanda Brooke has written. Thoroughly enjoyable - top marks.'
- Angie Rhodes - 'At once shocking and heart breaking, it is beautifully written, with each character, having a place to tell their side of the story.'
- Emily Curnow - 'What a great book...It is an uncomfortable read because it makes you face uncomfortable realities, but I couldn't put it down.'
- Edel Waugh - 'Awesome book! You won't want to put it down!'
- Evelyn Love- Gajardo - 'I enjoyed this book although it made me feel glad I don't have teenage children!'
- Jan Kirkcaldy - 'The relevant and modern subject matter with which many could identify ultimately made it worthwhile reading. I enjoyed it but with reservations.'
The Affair by Amanda Brooke
A shocking story about a fifteen-year-old girl and the man who took advantage of her You might as well know from the start, I'm not going to tell on him and I don't care how much trouble I get in. It's not like it could get any worse than it already is. I can't. Don't ask me why, I just can't. When Nina finds out that her fifteen-year-old daughter, Scarlett, is pregnant, her world falls apart. Because Scarlet won't tell anyone who the father is. And Nina is scared that the answer will destroy everything. As the suspects mount - from Scarlett's teacher to Nina's new husband of less than a year - Nina searches for the truth: no matter what the cost.
Praise for Amanda Brooke:
'An unashamed weepy, intriguingly plotted and with relatable characters
'An emotional journey and a great read!'
'Full of twists, this is a deeply emotional, poignant tale that will remain with you long after it ends'
'[A] touching sensitive story ... an extraordinary, moving tale'
'Enchanting, moving and hard to put down'
'A haunting and heartbreaking story that stayed with me long after I'd finished'
'Magical and unputdownable'
'An extraordinary debut novel'
About the Author
Publication date12th January 2017
More books by Amanda Brooke
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherHarper an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
CategoriesModern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
Thriller / suspense
I recommend Lovereading because you get honest reviews on a whole range of genres-there's something for everyone. It's the only site I need.Sian Spinney
Lovereading is pitched at just the right level for all the various types of people who enjoy reading in its many forms.Pam Woodburn
It's the first site that I visit when deciding on the next set of books to buy. A particular treat is being able to download an extract.Tessa Olson
It has enriched my leisure time by introducing me to a world of books which I would not have previously considered.Val Rowe
Lovereading takes the guesswork out of finding your next read with "if you like you'll love" and extracts to help with your decision.Sarah Bruch
At Lovereading there are fabulous books available in every genre, with great reviews to help you pick the right book for you.Teresa O'Halloran
Ever purchased a book, read a few pages & thought I'm not going to enjoy this? Honest book reviews mean you'll never have that problem againJill Peters
Lovereading helps me decide what real people read.Kerry Bridges