£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
A family drama full of suspense, tension and heartache. Nina’s 15 year old daughter Scarlett is pregnant, and the father is a married man. As the main story moves from before to after the revelation, Scarlett also tells her story, however she won’t say who the father is. Amanda Brooke lights the fuse and then fans the flames, encouraging questions as Nina turns her family inside out in an attempt to find answers and understand what has happened. This is a story deliberately set to challenge, prod and provoke, yet there is an undeniable sense of compassion and empathy touching the pages. As manipulation is revealed and answers haunt the final pages, ‘The Affair’ stands out as an entirely captivating and thought-provoking read. ~ Liz Robinson
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Jennifer Moville - 'A very good read of a story that could happen to any family.'
- Mollie Mayson-Simpson - 'The potential for family-dynamic 'melt-down' is rich, and Brooke exploits it thoroughly - marvellous stuff!'
- Elisabeth Thomas - 'A gripping read...The book kept me hooked right until the very end.'
- Nicola Edwards - 'A gripping story of family relationships, I loved it! I can't wait for the next Amanda Brooke book.'
- Donna Smith - 'Well this book grabbed me and I needed to see it through in just a few sittings.'
- Catherine Dugmore - 'Throughout the book you constantly change your mind as to who could be the father of 15 year old Scarlett's baby. Unexpected emotional twists throughout the whole book. A superb thought provoking read.'
- Ann Peet - 'Unpredictable and compelling story about family relationships and how teenagers' insecurities can be manipulated.'
- Sue Burton - 'Fantastic book about real life issues that occur within a family and also about relationships and how small things and actions can turn to distrust.'
- Nicki Southwell - 'You won't be able to put this down once you start reading. Wow. This is a really good read, in my opinion, and I really enjoyed it.'
- Celia Cohen - 'An enjoyable book although quite harrowing at times... Very well done, as usual by Amanda Brooke, she is an excellent writer.'
- Humaira - 'This book will be hard to forget...Amanda Brooke's writing is one of a kind. It was captivating yet at the same time I felt uncomfortable because of the situation.'
- Rachel Aygin - 'When I got to the end I immediately found myself checking out what else Amanda Brooke has written. Thoroughly enjoyable - top marks.'
- Angie Rhodes - 'At once shocking and heart breaking, it is beautifully written, with each character, having a place to tell their side of the story.'
- Emily Curnow - 'What a great book...It is an uncomfortable read because it makes you face uncomfortable realities, but I couldn't put it down.'
- Edel Waugh - 'Awesome book! You won't want to put it down!'
- Evelyn Love- Gajardo - 'I enjoyed this book although it made me feel glad I don't have teenage children!'
- Jan Kirkcaldy - 'The relevant and modern subject matter with which many could identify ultimately made it worthwhile reading. I enjoyed it but with reservations.'
Win a fabulous signed copy of A Secret Garden by Katie Fforde!
To celebrate the publication of A Secret Garden by Katie Fforde, we have signed copies of the book to give away to 3 lucky winners. To have a chance of winning one of these wonderful prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter. Draw closes on 28th February 2017. The winners will be chosen randomly from all entrants and will be notified by 14th March 2017.
The Affair by Amanda Brooke
A shocking story about a fifteen-year-old girl and the man who took advantage of her You might as well know from the start, I'm not going to tell on him and I don't care how much trouble I get in. It's not like it could get any worse than it already is. I can't. Don't ask me why, I just can't. When Nina finds out that her fifteen-year-old daughter, Scarlett, is pregnant, her world falls apart. Because Scarlet won't tell anyone who the father is. And Nina is scared that the answer will destroy everything. As the suspects mount - from Scarlett's teacher to Nina's new husband of less than a year - Nina searches for the truth: no matter what the cost.
Praise for Amanda Brooke:
'An unashamed weepy, intriguingly plotted and with relatable characters
'An emotional journey and a great read!'
'Full of twists, this is a deeply emotional, poignant tale that will remain with you long after it ends'
'[A] touching sensitive story ... an extraordinary, moving tale'
'Enchanting, moving and hard to put down'
'A haunting and heartbreaking story that stayed with me long after I'd finished'
'Magical and unputdownable'
'An extraordinary debut novel'
About the Author
Publication date12th January 2017
More books by Amanda Brooke
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherHarper an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
CategoriesModern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
Thriller / suspense
Lovereading is a wonderful way to expand my literary horizons, discover inspiring authors & get the chance to read new novels first. #loveitZarina de Ruiter
Lovereading helps me decide what real people read.Kerry Bridges
The selections are so varied and the reader reviews are so helpful. A fantastic website for those who love books.Ann Quintilla
Lovereading is an amazing place to be, the website is wonderful and to me if I'm sad I'll go here and it cheers me up!Sophia Upton
It's a lively, independent website with reviews, recommendations and more - with a huge range of books available to buy in all formats.Alison Layland
Lovereading recommends, honestly reviews and promotes books-what more can I say?!Rachel Bridgeman
Hooked on books? Give Lovereading a go - for the chance to discover brilliant books, and to see why our members love it so.Claire Hill
Love Reading - it not only does what it says on the tin, it does it with Jam on!!Maz Tucker