Apple Tree Yard
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
A gripping psychological thriller. Yvonne Carmichael is a woman who prides herself on her ability to control her life and achieve what she wants. The tale builds alarmingly, beginning with an impulsive affair which sets in train a series of events that spiral beyond her control and look set to destroy everything. A terrifically well-written highly believable read, not at all what I was expecting.
This novel has been adapted for a BBC television series starring Emma Watson and Ben Chaplin. Click below to view the trailer.
Shortlisted for the CWA Ian Fleming Steel Dagger - Thriller of the Year 2014.
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Ruth Richards - 'This is a brilliantly written book which really got me thinking about life and where it can lead us.' Read full review >
- Gill Wilmott - ' What a book! The most enjoyable read I’ve had in years! Effortless to read, compulsive to keep reading , the factual details obviously well researched, I would recommend this book to everyone who enjoys a good story written in flowing terms.' Read full review >
- Carol Peace - 'Apple Tree Yard is a book that everyone can relate to, we have all at one time got ourselves into a situation that we really should not have, although most of us would not do what Yvonne did.' Read full review >
- Lyn Barrett - 'You’ll be torn by this book; you’ll want to read it but the more you read the sooner you will come to the end and you won’t want to do that.' Read full review >
- Nikki Clark - 'Effectively this is a story of three parts: an affair, crimes and a verdict. The author’s research into the way a trial progresses was effective; this is described as a psychological thriller and the scariest part for me was how real it was – how easy it must be for someone to get in over their head, make a mistake and change so many lives.' Read full review >
- Sarah Tilley - 'I loved this book and was gripped after the first page...a thoroughly good read and one that I would highly recommend.' Read full review >
- Michelle Hemmingway - 'Apple Tree Yard is a gripping and exciting read that keeps you guessing until the very last page...I loved the idea of our own personal mythology which Doughty begins to address and would have liked to have seen this explored more but this is a minor complaint of a book that is both entertaining and thought-provoking.' Read full review >
- Sally Doel - 'I can thoroughly recommend this book...I was absolutely gripped from the first page and that didn't change all the way through! I couldn't wait to get to the end - for all the right reasons.' Read full review >
- Ray Orgill - 'This is a book full of suspense and intrigue. From the prologue through to the end the reader is kept guessing.' Read full review >
- Sally Welham - ' It was very well written and made for compulsive reading. You were drawn into the story and you really wanted to know the outcome.' Read full review >
- Suzanne James - 'Louise Doughty has created a character and a situation which is totally believable - it is not impossible that something like this could happen...to anyone, and that is what makes this book so compelling.' Read full review >
- Suzanne Marsh - 'This is one of my favourite books that i have read this year. Apple Tree Yard just swept me away where i couldn't stop reading.' Read full review >
Win an exclusive Lovereading Canvas bag worth £9.99
This month we have 3 of our sturdy, exclusive and simply gorgeous Lovereading Canvas book bags. To have a chance of winning this wonderful prize, click the button below.
Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter. Draw closes on 2 May 2017. The winner will be chosen randomly from all entrants and will be notified by 14 May 2017.
Our canvas bags are also available for sale with an RRP of £9.99. However, if you spend more than £25.00 on books, through Lovereading, you can claim one totally FREE OF CHARGE! Or spend over £15.00 on books, through Lovereading, and you can buy one for the special price of just £4.99. Click here to find out more.
Here's what one of our members thinks of her bag
A big thank you for the two Lovereading bags I ordered, which have arrived safely. I love mine and will use it with pride. The bags are lovely quality, sturdy and support a good cause in the Rewrap initiative; I think they make the perfect accessory for any book lover. The second bag was a gift for my sister and she says she will take it to her next book group meeting to help spread the Lovereading word. Once again, many thanks. Emily Wright
Apple Tree Yard by Louise Doughty
Once you start you can't stop reading. Terrific. (Helen Dunmore). Yvonne Carmichael has worked hard to achieve the life she always wanted: a high-flying career in genetics, a beautiful home, a good relationship with her husband and their two grown-up children.
Then one day she meets a stranger at the Houses of Parliament and, on impulse, begins a passionate affair with him - a decision that will put everything she values at risk. At first she believes she can keep the relationship separate from the rest of her life, but she can't control what happens next. All of her careful plans spiral into greater deceit and, eventually, a life-changing act of violence. Apple Tree Yard is a psychological thriller about one woman's adultery and an insightful examination of the values we live by and the choices we make, from an acclaimed writer at the height of her powers.
About the Author
Publication date5th January 2017
More books by Louise Doughty
Author 'Like for Like'
PublisherFaber & Faber
CategoriesModern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
Crime & mystery
Thriller / suspense
Lovereading is pitched at just the right level for all the various types of people who enjoy reading in its many forms.Pam Woodburn
The best new books on the market, reviewed honestly, to give your readers the best choices.Julie Cook
I love the honest opinions, recommendations for every genre and every reader, wish lists and Like for Like.Amrita Dasgupta
What can I say, the clue is in the title Lovereading - and awesome books.Sarah Davis
Insightful reader reviews and unbiased recommendations. I don't know how I chose books before Lovereading! An essential for all book lovers.Sarah Harper
I love Lovereading because I get to read great books and then get to tell everybody how good they are.Sally Doel
As for why I'd recommend Lovereading, it's simple - it's a great place to get information and reviews about new books!Margaret Freeman
I love that Lovereading handpicks very special debut reads.Magda North