Dragon GamesThe China Trilogy Series
£8.99 saving £1.80 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
A darkly captivating, tense, and beautifully written tale, that explores fear and the innermost thoughts and feelings of hearts and minds. This is the second in the ‘China’ series, and I really do recommend starting with the wonderful ‘Whispering Shadows’. Paul Leibovitz finds himself on an emotional collision course as he battles for justice in China. His girlfriend Christine, is connected to China in a way that, even with all of his knowledge of the East, Paul can not understand, and their two stories, twist around each other, separated, yet together. The prologue surprised me, it is a tormented and heartbreaking lament, the voice reappears during the novel, absolutely haunting in it’s intensity. I found myself connecting to characters who are just a whisper on the page, feeling their pain and confusion. Jan-Philipp Sendker paints a vividly striking picture of a different world, yet he doesn't pass judgement, instead allowing you to watch, listen and learn. ‘Dragon Games’ hovers on a honed knife edge of tension, it’s a deeply moving story, and slowly seeped into my soul. ~ Liz Robinson
If you like Jan-Philipp Sendker you might also like to read books by Corban Addison.
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review the first title in The China Trilogy, Whispering Shadows. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Sarah Tilley - 'A fascinating read and very well written... I was completely absorbed.'
- Edel Waugh - 'I really enjoyed the setting of the book and the author writes so beautifully even if he is describing Paul's friend Zhang preparing a meal or the hustle and bustle of travelling in the area , you really feel like you are there and I loved that!'
- Jan Kirkcaldy - 'An unusually sad yet ultimately compelling start to this book almost put me off reading on but it ultimately turned into one of the best I’ve read in recent years.'
- Emma Barton - 'This is an interesting book giving a real insight into how industry and commerce work in modern day China and how the past still haunts many people.'
- Judith Smith - 'This is a compelling, page turning story, not to be missed.'
- Joan Sidwell - 'Whispering Shadows is a brilliant book, beautifully written with a gripping narrative...A mystery, a thriller, a travelogue, but also, and very importantly, a book about love, friendship, trust, hope and redemption, this book encompasses everything you could want.'
- Phylippa Smithson - 'If you like intriguing plots, engaging characters, real-life issues, and the emotional turmoil of losing a loved one, all wrapped up into a (small ‘p’) political drama, this one is very definitely for you.'
- Suzanne Marsh - 'The story has equal parts crime thriller, romance and view of China's Cultural Revolution, this novel is at heart, a story about the burden of survival. It packs a punch.'
- Jo-anne Atkinson - 'Masterful fusion of emotional turmoil and exciting thriller.... Sendker is a truly talented writer and this book is haunting in so many ways.'
- Catherine Bryce - 'A gripping novel covering various writing genres which keeps your attention to the very last page.'
- Linda Hill - 'A novel of intrigue and trust set in a post revolutionary China.'
- Sue Broom - 'A fascinating setting, vividly described, with intriguing insights into China’s rapid change over recent decades... I thoroughly enjoyed my fleeting immersion into a very foreign culture.'
- Tracey Poulter - 'This beautifully written novel is not simply a murder mystery story as it delves into the meaning of love and friendship, forgiveness and redemption, secrets and lies.'
Win an exclusive Lovereading Canvas bag worth £9.99
This month we have 3 of our sturdy, exclusive and simply gorgeous Lovereading Canvas book bags. To have a chance of winning this wonderful prize, click the button below.
Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter. Draw closes on 2 May 2017. The winner will be chosen randomly from all entrants and will be notified by 14 May 2017.
Our canvas bags are also available for sale with an RRP of £9.99. However, if you spend more than £25.00 on books, through Lovereading, you can claim one totally FREE OF CHARGE! Or spend over £15.00 on books, through Lovereading, and you can buy one for the special price of just £4.99. Click here to find out more.
Here's what one of our members thinks of her bag
A big thank you for the two Lovereading bags I ordered, which have arrived safely. I love mine and will use it with pride. The bags are lovely quality, sturdy and support a good cause in the Rewrap initiative; I think they make the perfect accessory for any book lover. The second bag was a gift for my sister and she says she will take it to her next book group meeting to help spread the Lovereading word. Once again, many thanks. Emily Wright
Dragon Games by Jan-Philipp Sendker
Paul Leibovitz is 53, living in Hong Kong, deeply in love with the city, its culture, and most of all, Christine. When a fortune teller predicts the death of someone she loves, however, the pair are once again thrust into the murky criminal world of Hong Kong and forced to fight for their lives. We learn the details of Christine's dark family history which is mired in the horrors and iniquities of Mao's cultural revolution and now her brother and his family who are living in rural China are victims of a very modern ecological scandal that is every bit as terrifying as past atrocities.
About the Author
Publication date29th September 2016
More books by Jan-Philipp Sendker
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherPolygon An Imprint of Birlinn Limited an imprint of Birlinn General
CategoriesModern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
I love Lovereading because I get to read great books and then get to tell everybody how good they are.Sally Doel
With literary excellence, humour and drama, Lovereading's got value and is a real stress-calmer!Siobhan McDowell
My favourite thing about is the 'like for like' page this has really introduced me to some good reads! That and lots of honest reviews.Sam Lewis
Lovereading has given me the opportunity to delve into new and exciting worlds of authors who I would never have tried before.Glynis Elliott
I love Lovereading for the wonderful like for like author recommendations and for highlighting new books, it's a great resource for readers!Lindsay
Lovereading recommends, honestly reviews and promotes books-what more can I say?!Rachel Bridgeman
A well laid out site, I love the fact that is separates paranormal fiction from fantasy and horror, which other sites don't.Jen Rainbow
Thanks to Lovereading I have discovered new writers and read books I would never had looked twice at - and enjoyed them.Angela Rhodes