The Last One
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
One of our Books of the Year 2016.
The Post-Apocalyptic setting is so popular today that it is becoming annoying, so it is great to get a book like this one; not only well written but offering a new angle on the old story. Lone survivors must cope with harsh conditions, that’s always a given, but the protagonist of this story is already lost and surviving alone as part of a reality-TV wilderness show. Her first-person narrative alternates with scenes from the show’s early days of filming, when it was just a game. What results is not just a journey through the wilds but a personal struggle with inner darkness and the nature of reality. No zombies, thank goodness, just an honest and plausible thriller obviously written by someone with a brain as hints, threads and twists weave together in a compelling and disturbing tale. Excellent stuff. ~ Sarah Broadhurst
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Celia Cohen - 'A clever, superbly written psychological thriller which will haunt you long after you have finished reading it.'
- Helen Claire - 'The Hunger Games meets Running Man!! This had me reading at the bus stop, on the bus, at lunchtime and way past my bedtime. All I wanted to do was read – Could not put it down.'
- Alfred Nobile - 'A harrowing and intense read that grips and keeps you turning the pages.'
- Cathy Small - 'Imagine The Hunger Games vs The Predator and you will get a feel for this book but you will find yourself drawn to Zoo to see how strong she is and can she carry on.'
- Sheila Johnson - 'the book was a pleasure to read and would make a good escapist holiday read.'
- Les Wood - 'An Interesting Concept...I enjoyed the writing but am not convinced by the story as a whole. I would have liked more about the individuals involved'
- Val Rowe - 'I have never read anything quite like this before, but I am so glad that I did as it has made quite an impact on me.'
- Melanie Rose - 'Survival - real or staged? Anyone into reality shows would enjoy this but it just wasn't my cup of tea.'
- Sharon McKinlay - 'Very intense book.'
- Sally Doel - 'this is a brilliant dark and psychological story that will appeal to everyone.'
- Jocelyn Garvey - 'Once you are into this book it grips as the show is meant to but we know more than they do!'
- Dawn Lynch - 'I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, it kept me gripped from beginning to end.'
- Teresa O'Halloran - 'A very clever debut from an author to watch.'
The Last One by Alexandra Oliva
******* A dazzling and unsettling novel of psychological suspense. Survival is the name of the game as one woman's mind and body are pushed to the limit. TWELVE CONTESTANTS When Zoo agrees to take part in a new reality TV show, In the Dark, she knows that she will be tested to the limits of her endurance. Beating eleven competitors in a series of survival tasks deep in the forest, living on camera at the extremes of her comfort zone, will be the ultimate challenge before she returns home to start a family. A GAME WITH NO END As the contestants are overcome by hunger, injury and psychological breakdown, the mind games, tricks and hazards to which Zoo is subjected grow dark beyond belief. This isn't what she signed up for: the deserted towns and gruesome props, the empty loneliness. Is this a game with no end? And what is happening away from the cameras' gaze? Discovering the truth will be just the beginning...AN ALTERED REALITY Translated into over twenty languages, The Last One is a gripping, provocative tale of survival - of the fittest, of the best loved, of the relationships that sustain us. It's a searingly modern thriller and a timeless story of a woman's journey home.
'Clever in its concept and gripping in its delivery. This propulsive book is for everyone who ever thought reality television signalled the end of the world. Haunting, moving, and remarkable' -- Karen Joy Fowler, Booker-shortlisted author of We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
'The Last One seamlessly melds two of our contemporary obsessions -- the threat of global catastrophe; the staged drama of reality TV -- into a fiercely imagined tale of the human psyche under stress. An uncompromising, thought-provoking debut' -- Justin Cronin, author of international bestseller The Passage
About the Author
Publication date29th December 2016
More books by Alexandra Oliva
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherMichael Joseph Ltd an imprint of Penguin Books Ltd
CategoriesThriller / suspense
Lovereading recommends, honestly reviews and promotes books-what more can I say?!Rachel Bridgeman
For me, to read is to learn, to reflect, to escape, to think, to contemplate and my time for space and calm.Sally Ellsmore
It has enriched my leisure time by introducing me to a world of books which I would not have previously considered.Val Rowe
Lovereading is like booking a holiday, you don't know what it will be like and it is a whole new experience.Sue Burton
I love 'try before you buy' extracts. I love the wide range of authors & genres. I love the author info. I love books!Judi Davies
Why I love @lovereadinguk? It's in the name - as dedicated lovers of reading, they are perfect matchmakers for helping me find my next read!Catherine Jenkins
Lovereading takes the guesswork out of finding your next read with "if you like you'll love" and extracts to help with your decision.Sarah Bruch
The books for review are always great reads, brilliantly written, and introduces me to a huge variety of, established and new, authors.Lesley Hart