The Sea DetectiveThe Sea Detective Series
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
This is a compelling and just fabulous start to ‘The Sea Detective’ series. Cal McGill, something of a loner, determined, yet caring, runs Flotsam and Jetsam Investigations in Scotland. As an oceanographer and environmentalist, he finds himself hounded by the police, attempts to solve a mystery, and becomes embroiled in a world of violent exploitation. The prologue plunges you into fear, into innocence about to be ravaged, the nativity and simplicity of the voiced feelings and thoughts ensure the horror is all the more vivid and shocking. I absolutely raced through this read, the research and detail of the ocean currents is fascinating, and the plot line tight and bursting with tense energy. Mark Douglas-Home writes with compassion, yet a stark, almost no nonsense approach to the exploitation makes it hit home with hammer hard precision. ‘The Sea Detective’ is a convincing read and feels original, this promises to be a thoroughly enjoyable and striking series. ~ Liz Robinson
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. Click here to read the full reviews.
- Elisabeth Thomas - 'This book was a breath of fresh air in the genre of crime fiction. Original and gripping I am sure that Cal McGill is set to become the next Inspector Rebus.'
- Angie Rhodes - 'This is a unique mystery, not the usual murder mystery, and the hero is just perfect.'
- Joan Sidwell - 'Different from the usual books of the detective genre, there is no doubt that Mark Douglas-Home knows his subject and can describe it very well.'
- Margaret Freeman - 'A great book that held me captivated throughout. It’s a gripping and emotional story. I loved it.'
- Edel Waugh - 'I love stories about the sea and so the plot interested me, the maritime history and mysteries was fascinating.'
- Nicola Underwood - 'Interesting read with a different style of detective.'
- Jan Kirkcaldy - 'There was so much happening throughout and I found myself so absorbed I didn’t want to put it down... escapism at its best.'
- Humaira Kauser - 'Riveting and kept me on edge.'
- Helen Lowry - 'There is enough going on, with the background history of the island families, the characters and the Scottish scenery to keep your interest and I do recommend this book.'
- Nicola Kingswell - 'Intelligent Scottish detective thriller.'
- Susan Burton - 'Well written and graphical book.'
- Lynne Morgan - 'I really enjoyed reading this book, it is so well written, full of suspense and mystery – I would recommend it to everyone!'
- Jennifer Moville - 'The author manages to make this book a contemporary mystery but also parts historical and even with a little humour thrown in.'
- Phylippa Smithson - 'Just when you thought the book shelves had all possible types of detectives, up pops Cal McGill, a private investigator with a bias to applying his expertise in oceanography to help solve crime.'
- Jacki Moorcroft - 'With a brilliantly woven story line, Mark Douglas-Home is definitely a writer to follow...a thoughtful and compelling story leaving you wanting more, highly recommended.'
- Kathryn Whitfield - 'Exciting mystery with a unique storyline... I have never read anything like it before, will definitely be reading the next book.'
- Dana Captainino - 'This is the best book I have read in ages. It is different, exciting and keeps you on tenterhooks right until the end. '
- Glenda Worth - 'The Sea Detective was a great read with an unusual investigator whose knowledge is based around oceanography, currents, winds and shipping records. The story investigates corruption and violence.'
- Ed Robson - 'The Sea Detective is a decent novel that brings a fresh and interesting angle to crime detection...Overall, I’m glad I read it – but I’m not tempted to seek out the next.'
- Maz Tucker - 'Great book, never read any of this author before, but I really enjoyed this and will go and look for some of his other books.'
The Sea Detective by Mark Douglas-Home
The first mystery in a truly unique crime series. There comes a time when a novel raises the bar for a particular genre, and The Sea Detective does just that for Scottish crime fiction. (Scotsman). Cal McGill is an Edinburgh-based oceanographer, environmentalist and one-of-a-kind investigator. Using his knowledge of the waves - ocean currents, prevailing winds, shipping records - McGill can track where objects have come from, or where they've gone. It's a unique skill that can help solve all sorts of mysteries. Such as when two severed feet wash up miles apart on two different islands off the coast of Scotland. Most strangely, forensic tests reveal that the feet belong to the same body. As Cal McGill investigates, he unravels a web of corruption, exploitation and violence, which threatens many lives across the globe - very soon including his own...Praise for The Sea Detective: Raises the bar for Scottish crime fiction...elegantly written and compelling. (The Scotsman). Excellent. (The Literary Review - top five crime books of the year). Promises to be a fine series of detective novels. (Sunday Times Crime Book of the Month). An unusual, interesting and enthralling read. (Shotsmag). A compelling protagonist. (The Times Literary Supplement).
'Raises the bar ... elegantly written and compelling. A crime writer to watch' The Scotsman
'Excellent' The Literary Review (Top Five Crime Novels of the Year)
'Promises to be a fine series of detective novels' Sunday Times Crime Book of the Month
'An unusual, interesting and enthralling read' Shotsmag
'A compelling protagonist' The Times Literary Supplement
About the Author
Publication date5th November 2015
More books by Mark Douglas-Home
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
CategoriesCrime & mystery
Thriller / suspense
Why I love @lovereadinguk? It's in the name - as dedicated lovers of reading, they are perfect matchmakers for helping me find my next read!Catherine Jenkins
Discover new authors and enjoy old favourites; oodles of literary gems to uncover at Lovereading with candid reviews from real reviewers.Emily Wright
It has enriched my leisure time by introducing me to a world of books which I would not have previously considered.Val Rowe
For me, to read is to learn, to reflect, to escape, to think, to contemplate and my time for space and calm.Sally Ellsmore
Lovereading tells me about new books before they hit the shelves, lets me find other authors I may like and has great prize draws!Sheila Dale
I love the 'like for like' author recommendations, it's like an old friend whispering in your ear.Emma Caddick
I love reading books I wouldn't normally choose before everyone else gets to read them!Dawn Lynch
I love the honest opinions, recommendations for every genre and every reader, wish lists and Like for Like.Amrita Dasgupta