Fire DamageA Jessie Flynn Crime Thriller Series
£12.99 saving £2.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
April 2016 Debut of the Month.
Captivating from the outset, this is the first in the ‘Jessie Flynn Investigation’ series, and what a fabulously readable and dramatic story it is too. 29 year old Dr Jessie Flynn works for the Defence Psychology Unit, she teams up with Captain Ben Callan from the Military Police Special Investigation Branch in an investigation that walks a knotty tightrope of emotions. While there is a whisper of romance, it is the case in hand that dominates the story and Kate Medina keeps the tension ramped up high. The subject matter is not only bang up to date, it is also perfectly judged and when you read into Kate Medina’s background, it all makes sense. With characters full of contradictions and vulnerabilities, a seriously puzzling yet poignant mystery and a fascinating backdrop, I’m really looking forward to the next in the series. ~ Liz Robinson
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Edel Waugh - 'This case really pulls at her heart strings and I had a lump in my throat reading it.'
- Barbara Goldie - 'First in an exciting new series. A dark and compelling new story from Kate Medina. An exciting read.'
- Jan Kirkcaldy - 'I read it very quickly so keen was I to find out the ultimate answers to so many questions. It did not disappoint. A really great read and very thoughtful story. I hope more will follow.'
- Sarah Tilley - 'Terrific – absolutely unputddownable! This is so much more than a standard crime novel!'
- Angie Rhodes - 'This is the first of Kate Medina’s books I have read and I was hooked.'
- Elisabeth Thomas - 'A dark, spine tingling psychological thriller which will certainly keep you gripped until the very end of the book. Will be looking forward to the next Jessie Flynn case!'
- Celia Cohen - 'A book full of twists and turns that you just can't put down until you've found out how the various plots all come together.'
- Jennifer Moville - 'This book is the first in a series featuring the 29 year old Flynn and it delves not only into the psychological profession but also into human nature and into the life of Flynn as an independent woman.'
- Taflyn Pearson - 'I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The main character is appealingly flawed, and thus very easy to relate to. The story was well-written and the characters are well-rounded.'
- Humaira Kauser - 'I could not put this brilliant and ingenious work of art down. It gripped me by the synopsis and dragged me away at the very first page.'
- Jacki Moorcroft - 'A brilliant start to a new crime series. Kate Medina gives us compelling characters in Dr Jessie Flynn, and Captain Ben Callan. A totally absorbing, page turning book.'
- Janet Monks - 'A crime novel with army psychologist Jessie Flynn as its protagonist...I really couldn't stop reading this book.'
- Phylippa Smithson - 'Childhood influence in adulthood. Afghanistan War and its associated politics. Relationships and their secrets. Psychologist’s role in unlocking a crime. I could go on but this is a must –read this book.'
- Carolyn Huckfield - 'This is a fast moving story involves distressing and violent events and the psychologist investigating them. I am looking forward to her next case as Fire Damage is an excellent debut.'
- Susan Wallace - 'A well-crafted thriller with some unexpected twists and believable characters.'
Win an exclusive Lovereading Canvas bag worth £9.99
This month we have 3 of our sturdy, exclusive and simply gorgeous Lovereading Canvas book bags. To have a chance of winning this wonderful prize, click the button below.
Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter. Draw closes on 2 May 2017. The winner will be chosen randomly from all entrants and will be notified by 14 May 2017.
Our canvas bags are also available for sale with an RRP of £9.99. However, if you spend more than £25.00 on books, through Lovereading, you can claim one totally FREE OF CHARGE! Or spend over £15.00 on books, through Lovereading, and you can buy one for the special price of just £4.99. Click here to find out more.
Here's what one of our members thinks of her bag
A big thank you for the two Lovereading bags I ordered, which have arrived safely. I love mine and will use it with pride. The bags are lovely quality, sturdy and support a good cause in the Rewrap initiative; I think they make the perfect accessory for any book lover. The second bag was a gift for my sister and she says she will take it to her next book group meeting to help spread the Lovereading word. Once again, many thanks. Emily Wright
Fire Damage by Kate Medina
To find a killer, she must unlock a child's terror...The first in an exciting new crime series featuring psychologist Dr Jessie Flynn - a brilliantly complex character who struggles with a dark past of her own. Perfect for fans of Nicci French and Val McDermid. 'The girl knows,' he whispered...Four-year-old Sami is deeply traumatised, and it's up to psychologist Dr Jessie Flynn to unlock his terrifying memories. She needs to find out who 'the girl' is - but nothing can prepare her for the truth about what haunts him. Meanwhile, Jessie's former patient, Captain Ben Callan, is investigating the suspicious death of an officer in Afghanistan - the problem is the only suspect refuses to talk. When a dead body washes up on a Sussex beach, Jessie and Ben's cases converge. Soon it's clear that the mystery in Afghanistan began with a secret much closer to home. And a desperate killer will do anything to keep it buried...
'Excellent start to a new series'
'Psychologist Jessie Flynn is set to become a major star in the world of crime fiction. She's as fascinating and complex as the cases she solves. Fire Damage will leave you hungry for the next book in this superb series'
'Jessie Flynn is an utterly compelling character, the icing on the cake of what is a refreshingly different and very gripping thriller. I really look forward to the next one'
'From the chilling opening scene where a traumatised child warns of The Shadowman, Fire Damage seizes you by the throat and doesn't let go. Complex, tense and utterly addictive, this is powerful, gutsy storytelling which plunges the reader deep into the darkest recesses of the human psyche'
Tammy Cohen Praise for Kate Medina:
'A huge new talent'
'Unsettling and evocative ... an impressive debut'
'Mightily impressive ... a fine, taut story with many topical issues'
Independent on Sunday
'A stunning debut'
'The unexpected twists and turns throughout the course of the book left me unable to prise myself away ... Tess is the most compelling female protagonist I have come across in a long time'
'A remarkable debut'
About the Author
Publication date24th March 2016
More books by Kate Medina
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherHarperCollins Publishers Ltd an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
CategoriesCrime & mystery
Thriller / suspense
It has enriched my leisure time by introducing me to a world of books which I would not have previously considered.Val Rowe
Lovereading takes the guesswork out of finding your next read with "if you like you'll love" and extracts to help with your decision.Sarah Bruch
Lovereading recommends, honestly reviews and promotes books-what more can I say?!Rachel Bridgeman
I love Lovereading because I get to read great books and then get to tell everybody how good they are.Sally Doel
My horizons have been broadened by some of the books I have been lucky to review and I expect it to be no different in the future.Daran Bellingham
As for why I'd recommend Lovereading, it's simple - it's a great place to get information and reviews about new books!Margaret Freeman
A great place to go to find your next literary escape, and where you don't have to judge a book by its cover!Suzanne Beney
With literary excellence, humour and drama, Lovereading's got value and is a real stress-calmer!Siobhan McDowell