£16.99 saving £3.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
March 2016 Book of the Month.
An intriguing, easy reading family drama with secrets buried deeply at its heart. After 25 years of marriage, Sarah finds herself travelling to Iowa with her husband Jack after his aunt Julia is hospitalised. But soon after they arrive Sarah begins to realise how little she knows about her husband’s family. As investigations begin into Julia’s accident an incident from the past rises up to haunt the family and Sarah finds herself on the edge of a frightening reality. Heather Gudenkauf sews discord in ‘Missing Pieces’, as she sets in motion events and relationships that jar and bicker with each other and yet these fuel the story. There are occasional moments where you may need to set your disbelief aside, in order to enjoy this fast moving story that contains a mystery waiting to be solved.
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Megan Abbott - 'One of the best Mysteries I have read in a long time.... I would definitely recommend this book to anyone that loves a thrilling and gripping mystery.'
- Edel Waugh - 'This was a simmering pot from the very beginning, there is a real sense of unease while reading this book and the plot and characters are superb...Truly great!'
- Angie Rhodes - 'A great book, one to curl up with on any evening.'
- Judith Waring - 'This is a very easy book to read and one that I got into immediately.'
- Liz Bloomer - 'A page turner of a book! A story of complicated family history which erupts 20 years later when another tragedy occurs. Gripping!'
- Victoria Whish - 'Small town thriller provides plenty of twists and turns. Sarah and husband Jack return to his hometown following a family emergency and find their marriage under threat as secrets resurface.'
- Vanessa Wild - 'An enjoyable psychological mystery which kept me turning the pages until the end.'
- Suzanne Marsh - 'I am a great fan of Heather Gudenkauf...What I liked about this story is that quite a lot goes on in Penny Falls, Lowa with quite a few family secrets.'
- Jane Brown - 'Missing Pieces, will not disappoint – multifaceted mystery you cannot put down and one which the reader tries so many times to work out just whodunit. It is a puzzle with intrigue.'
- Nicola Kingswell - 'Secrets buried in the past refuse to stay buried forever...an atmospheric novel, with a cast of interesting characters. I thought the twists and turns were good and it kept me guessing right to the end.'
- Charlotte Donovan - 'So gripping it will have you on the edge of your seat! Amazingly good and also incredibly touching. A story about a woman just wanting to get to know the man she calls her husband more. 10/10 from me!'
- Michelle McKernan - 'I really enjoyed this. It’s pacy with believable characters and I hadn’t got a clue about who had done it, which I love.'
- Phylippa Smithson - "Investigative journalist seeking to establish the facts when she discovers her husband is not who she thought he was. Could have been good but ‘a,b,c’ style of writing spoilt it for me."
Missing Pieces by Heather Gudenkauf
New York Times bestselling author Heather Gudenkauf returns with a chilling page-turner about a woman chasing clues into a decades-old mystery that could have shattering repercussions. Everyone has secrets...Sarah Quinlan's husband, Jack, has been haunted for decades by the untimely death of his mother when he was just a teenager, her body found in the cellar of their family farm, the circumstances a mystery. The case rocked the town where Jack was raised, and for years Jack avoided returning home. But when his beloved aunt Julia is in an accident, hospitalised in a coma, Jack and Sarah are forced to confront the past that they have long evaded. Sarah and Jack are welcomed by the family Jack left behind all those years ago-barely a trace of the wounds that had once devastated them all. But as facts about Julia's accident begin to surface, Sarah realises that nothing about the Quinlans is what it seems. Caught in a flurry of unanswered questions, Sarah dives deep into the rabbit hole of Jack's past, but the farther she climbs, the harder it is for her to get out. And soon she is faced with a hard reality she may not be prepared for.
Praise for Heather Gudenkauf:
'This will have you gripped until the last page' - Closer
'Deeply moving and lyrical' - Company
'A memorable read' - Sunday Express
'totally gripping' - Marie Claire
'Set to become a bookclub staple' - The Guardian
About the Author
Publication date10th March 2016
More books by Heather Gudenkauf
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherMira an imprint of Harlequin (UK)
CategoriesThriller / suspense
I love 'try before you buy' extracts. I love the wide range of authors & genres. I love the author info. I love books!Judi Davies
If you love reading, then you'll love Lovereading! Full of tips & info for every discerning reader.Lynne Rapson
Lovereading is a wonderful way to expand my literary horizons, discover inspiring authors & get the chance to read new novels first. #loveitZarina de Ruiter
With literary excellence, humour and drama, Lovereading's got value and is a real stress-calmer!Siobhan McDowell
Insightful reader reviews and unbiased recommendations. I don't know how I chose books before Lovereading! An essential for all book lovers.Sarah Harper
I love reading books I wouldn't normally choose before everyone else gets to read them!Dawn Lynch
Discover new authors and enjoy old favourites; oodles of literary gems to uncover at Lovereading with candid reviews from real reviewers.Emily Wright
Books of the month/debuts of the month, kids/adults, fiction/non-fiction, free prize draws and free extracts, what's not to love?Emma Smith