£12.99 saving £2.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
September 2015 Book of the Month.
Ahh, what a lovely charming book this is, all the more so due to the sharp, genuine tones of realism that lie at the heart of The Dress. New York of the 1950’s more than holds its own when compared to vintage loving Lily’s blogging in 2014 London. Kate Kerrigan balances the different time frames and connections between the two beautifully. There is a simplicity to the writing style, yet it draws you in and has a captivating attraction. While men set the paths for this story, it’s the women’s journeys and their highs and their lows that are particularly compelling. The characters at the heart of this novel feel sincerely real, although those from the 1950’s have an extra special allure. The author doesn't neatly trim all the loose threads, some are left fluttering, just out of reach, ensuring a wonderfully compassionate and moving read. ~ Liz Robinson
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Mary Gibson - 'A beautiful tale of love, lost dreams, the power of redemption, and how the clothes we wear tell our stories.'
- Celeste McCreesh - 'This story had it all from love, fashion, to a more sensitive and hard-hitting issue. I found I had a little tear in my eye at the end along with shedding a few on the way, so grab this book, curl up on the couch and prepare to have a few lump-in-your-throat moments too.
- Edel Waugh - 'A beautiful story full of glamour and real heartache that is perfect for those of you who like a book that will make you want to read it all in one sitting!'
- Katie Hoare - 'This book is about friendship, family and the importance of knowing where you are from. Both strains of the story are intertwined with each other and come together at the end of the book.'
- Lynette McCann - 'One of the most enjoyable books I have read. I couldn't wait to see what happened.'
- Julie Wragg - 'A gorgeous cover, a wonderful story.'
- Vanessa Wild - 'An easy, delightful and engaging read revolving around a bedazzling dress, a dress which fairy tales and dreams are made of!'
- Linda Hill - 'A glittering exploration of the world of fashion, both past and present.'
- Joan Sidwell - 'This is a beautiful and fascinating book with an intriguing opening, a story to keep the pages turning and a satisfying conclusion, I loved it.'
- Anne Cater - 'Kate Kerrigan is a talented author who has created characters who are vivid and authentic...a dream of a story, so beautifully written that the reader is transported off to the world of high fashion and wealth and glamour.'
- Jane Pepler - 'A highly recommended book that will immerse you in the world of 1950's New York couture...beautifully written, it's pace and flow is just right to capture the interest of the reader.'
- Cathy Small - 'A fascinating story that takes you into the world of fashion mixed with love, marriage and romance.'
- Sarah Borley - 'A book that made me think about things differently. I loved every page and it left me wanting to read more, The Dress is so much more than a story about the dress.'
- Tasha - 'Amazing!! This book flowed from past to present so easily...I loved it so much and it flowed so easily that I finished it 24hrs! And have been highly recomending it to everybody.'
- Anne Mackle - 'I'm still wiping the tears from my eyes after reading this book that had me hooked from the prologue and even before that with the stunning front cover.'
- Joy Bosworth - 'It's easy to get swept into the glamorous, fashionable world of 1950s New York - and then begin to care about the people... I found this book enthralling.'
- Emily Wright - 'Woven with melancholy, redemption, friendship and love, Kate Kerrigan has written a novel that is a testament to the radiance of a person that can make any clothes truly beautiful.'
- Janet Gilliard - 'Both the past and present stories are gripping and I really wanted to see how the story turned out. I highly recommend this book.'
- Nicola Smith - 'A lovely story...I really enjoyed reading this book and found that once I got into the book I didn't want to put it down.'
- Sarah Harper - 'I adored this book and can’t praise it highly enough. A thoroughly enjoyable read.'
- Sarah Warbey - 'A wonderful read, recommended for anyone who enjoys historical fiction, attention to detail and definitely if you are interested in vintage fashion - I’m not, but I loved it anyway!'
- Carol Attridge - 'A great read to get lost in! It takes your mind off the humdrum!'
- Evelyn Love- Gajardo - 'I really enjoyed the book and would recommend it to anyone looking for something easy to read, but with a story that keeps your attention.'
- Julie Bickerdyke - 'A brilliant plot and story but let down with weak, irritating characters...'
- Denise Dodd - 'I loved this book and it kept me intrigued from the first page to the last. Its a real page turner full of strong characters and emotions intertwining two eras sixty years apart.'
The Dress by Kate Kerrigan
Lily Fitzpatrick loves vintage clothes - made all the more precious because they were once owned and loved by another woman. Thousands follow her vintage fashion blog and her daily Instagram feed. But this passion for the beautiful clothes of the past is about to have unforeseen consequences, when Lily stumbles upon the story of a 1950s New York beauty, who was not only everything Lily longs to be, but also shares Lily's surname. Joy Fitzpatrick was a legend. But what was the famous dress which she once commissioned - said to be so original that nothing in couture would ever match it again? What happened to it - and why did Joy suddenly disappear from New York high society? Kate Kerrigan's enthralling novel interweaves the dramatic story of Joy, the beautiful but tortured socialite and that of Lily - determined to uncover the truth and, if possible, bring back to life the legendary dress itself.
'Mesmerising. Just beautiful'
'Glamorous, gripping and moving. I just loved it'
'Women's fiction at its finest. The writing is flawless, flows nicely and has a perfect pace ... For anyone who has gazed longingly at the pages of Vogue, drooled over the costumes in period dramas or wondered what rich socialites in Manhattan really did all day, this is for you. A fusion of fashion and feeling'
About the Author
Publication date27th August 2015
More books by Kate Kerrigan
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherHead of Zeus
CategoriesModern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
It's information about new books so, for a book lover like me, what's not to like!Joan Hill
It gives a chance to read about new titles, invites comments from all kinds of readers and is run by such a nice bunch of book lovers.Joy Bosworth
I 'Lovereading' because it lets me see what new books are around with a detailed synopsis and readers' reviews.Judith Sharp
I recommend Lovereading because you get honest reviews on a whole range of genres-there's something for everyone. It's the only site I need.Sian Spinney
My horizons have been broadened by some of the books I have been lucky to review and I expect it to be no different in the future.Daran Bellingham
With literary excellence, humour and drama, Lovereading's got value and is a real stress-calmer!Siobhan McDowell
I love 'try before you buy' extracts. I love the wide range of authors & genres. I love the author info. I love books!Judi Davies
I love the 'like for like' author recommendations, it's like an old friend whispering in your ear.Emma Caddick