The Life I Left Behind
£13.99 saving £2.80 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
Sarah Broadhurst's view...
January 2015 Book of the Month and eBook of the Month.
Written in the first person by the three main characters, one dead, one suffering from memory loss and the other trying to unravel the whole mess, this is a fast read where you will probably guess the villain of the piece quite early on. It harks back initially to 1987, then a murder some six years previous to the present action, then today. A bit predictable, a bit familiar but a nice easy read. It is her second novel, her first was better (Precious Thing) and I look forward to her third.
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Farah Alam - 'I would recommend this book on the basis that it felt like you know who the killer was but, end up perhaps being wrong. The storyline wasn't as predictable and, I liked this book for it.' Read full review >
- Gavin Dimmock - 'Two women are brutally attacked. They must find each other in order to learn the truth behind their attacks. A cleverly constructed novel told from two interesting viewpoints with a pulsating ending.' Read full review >
- Reba Khatun - 'Colette McBeth is a brilliant writer. She kept me hooked from the first page to the very end.' Read full review >
- Neil Williams - 'I'll certainly be looking out for more from this great new author.' Read full review >
- Teresa O'Halloran - 'A truly breathtaking read. A gripping psychological thriller that pulls you in and holds you in suspense until the finish. Highly recommended.' Read full review >
- Jenny Shirley - 'An interesting murder mystery, good but not great. Full of potential and easy to read but a little disappointing.' Read full review >
- Nicola Kingswell - 'A rollercoaster thriller of a murder mystery...I can’t wait to read more by this author.' Read full review >
- Alison Greenacre - 'Loved it! This is a great read. It's pacey, great characters and really thrilling story line...one of the best things I've read all year!' Read full review >
- Caroline Mathews - 'Another page-turning thriller from Colette McBeth that kept me up way later than I should have been!' Read full review >
- Rebecca Jayne - 'A compelling and enthralling suspense novel that will keep you up all night reading it until the end.' Read full review >
- Jill Peters - 'Colette McBeth transports the reader into the minds and thoughts of the two main characters...I thoroughly enjoyed the book and would certainly recommend it to others.' Read full review >
- Gill Wilmott - 'A simply excellent book...I shall now definitely be looking to read this author’s first novel, if it’s as good as this one I have missed a treat.' Read full review >
- Fiona Rothery - 'A very well written and unpredictable thriller, it keeps you guessing with its constant interweaving. I would definitely recommend it.' Read full review >
- Richard Hamlin – 'Colette McBeth is a talented writer, delivering a crime thriller with a series of twists and sinister revelations. This novel however stood out for me due to the wry observations that McBeth made throughout .' Read full review >
- Edel Waugh - 'If you want a book to keep you up until the early hours flicking pages and eager to know how it will end then look no further than this book. Truly great.' Read full review >
- Sarah Williams - 'I really enjoyed this psychological thriller and was pleasantly surprised by it...I will definitely be keeping an eye out for further titles by this author.' Read full review >
- Debbie Patrick - 'Excellent book. Well worth reading.' Read full review >
- Maureen Gourlay - 'No-one is what they seem in this gripping and chilling novel...it was not many pages in until I was gripped by this chilling tale.' Read full review >
- Alison Bisping - 'This is Collette McBeth's second novel - and what a read. I can't wait for her to publish more.' Read full review >
- Sheila Dale - 'This is a great psychological thriller, the characters are believable and the twist and turns are great, quit unputdownable.' Read full review >
- Jenny Heardman - 'Eve is dead, yet she is the one person who can find her killer. A murder mystery with help from beyond the grave.' Read full review >
- Cat Hogwood - 'How a life can be turned upside down - everyone has their own secrets...I enjoyed this book and once I was immersed in the story I couldn't put it down.' Read full review >
- Helen Lowry - 'Complex characters, sharp writing and a sharper plot, all designed to draw the reader in and keep you guessing to the end. Highly recommended.' Read full review >
- Emma Barton - 'This is an original book telling the story of two women who are linked through a vicious attack by the same violent man, but only one of them has survived.' Read full review >
- Joan Sidwell - 'This book is extremely well written and researched, a real page turner with a gripping plot.' Read full review >
The Life I Left Behind by Colette McBeth
She's dead but she's the only one who knows what really happened; What your friends have said. What the police missed. Who attacked you. So if you want the truth who else are you going to turn to?
Praise for Colette McBeth:
'Colette McBeth delivers twists and shocks with superb timing. An impressive debut
'An excellent storyteller... Precious Thing is more than deserving of a place on the modern thriller bookshelf'
'An interesting and original page-turner'
'A cleverly crafted tale... If you're a fan of Gone Girl, you'll love this'
'Precious Thing is one of my top five books of 2013. Truthfully, I would go on for hours about what I loved about this psychologically disturbing, thoroughly readable, cleverly written book'
About the Author
Publication date1st January 2015
More books by Colette McBeth
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherHeadline Review an imprint of Headline Publishing Group
CategoriesThriller / suspense
Its jam packed with fantastic titles, informative descriptions & fantastic reviews and has a vast array of great features & competitions.Linda Rollins
Lovereading has given me the opportunity to delve into new and exciting worlds of authors who I would never have tried before.Glynis Elliott
Discover new authors and enjoy old favourites; oodles of literary gems to uncover at Lovereading with candid reviews from real reviewers.Emily Wright
It's a lively, independent website with reviews, recommendations and more - with a huge range of books available to buy in all formats.Alison Layland
I love reading books I wouldn't normally choose before everyone else gets to read them!Dawn Lynch
You can trust Lovereading to show unbiased reviews by actual, ordinary readers that help likeminded booklovers choose their next great read.Linda Hill
I love the newsletter with reviews of all the new books coming out. Can't wait to open it when it arrives in my inbox.Rachel Aygin
Lovereading - a community of people passionate about reading and sharing their views. An incomparable website for book lovers.Helen Clark