A Dark So Deadly
£16.99 saving £3.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
Author famous for his excellent Logan McRae series presents a new police constable, one DC Callum McGregor. He is a man under internal investigation as he has accepted the blame for a major criminal being acquitted. We discover how and why along with learning a fair bit about the man’s dreadful childhood and his girlfriend problem. So lots of back story. There are chunks of radio conversations too and each chapter has obscure quotations. This bulks the tale out to over six hundred pages and detracts a little from the excellent yarn which shows much of the behind scene politics of a minor section of the police, to whit a unit of drop-outs or outcasts. These are officers who are unwell, have behaved inappropriately or are being investigated, as is our hero. The plot involves a serial killer who mummifies the victims. Initially there is some confusion as to whether the mummy is stolen from a museum. It is gruesome, exciting and unpredictable with a mounting body count. This drop-out unit initially investigating a theft has never handled a murder case before but Callum leads them into the investigation with great aplomb despite being physically assaulted. ~ Sarah Broadhurst
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Linde Merrick - 'What a spellbinding thriller Stuart MacBride has given us with this! It's such a real page-turner, with the tension and excitement building to an unexpected climax, that I had to read it straight through.'
- Chris Parfitt - 'A book that will grip you and make you want to read just one more page...'
- Sabine Little - 'Grumpy, cynical police officers with an axe to grind, pulling together to catch a serial killer - an intriguing plot with lots of twists and turns.'
- Phylippa Smithson - 'The slapstick humour of the team investigating a number of serial killings left me feeling confused and lacking confidence in what I was reading.'
- Rafe McGregor - 'MacBride skilfully avoids the serial killer clichés and although this is a chunky novel, I breezed through it effortlessly – a sure sign of a pacey, page-turner of a murder mystery.'
- Tanya Thurling - 'Surely nothing could ever be as good as Logan and Steel right? Wrong. The Misfit Mob are just as great. So great in fact I'm really hoping he writes more books with these characters.'
- Judith Waring - 'WOW! Stuart McBride does it again! I love, love, love, this guy, he is such a brilliant writer, such an artist, he literally paints the images and atmospheres with his words and he does it all so effortlessly.'
- Angie Rhodes - 'This has to be the best thriller I have read this year, it has a slightly dark humour, that will have the reader giggling and the most likeable characters you could wish to meet…'
- Evelyn Barrett - 'Fans of Stuart MacBride and his Logan McRae series won't be disappointed by this standalone story.'
- Linda Haw - 'Another winner from the pen of Stuart MacBride. Very well written, full of twists to keep you guessing to the end, which will come as a surprise.'
- Judith Sharp - 'Wow, this is a big book 608 pages but the action doesn't let up for a second. It is Tartan Noir with extra Noir and brilliant dark humour on the side.'
Win an exclusive Lovereading Canvas bag worth £9.99
This month we have 3 of our sturdy, exclusive and simply gorgeous Lovereading Canvas book bags. To have a chance of winning this wonderful prize, click the button below.
Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter. Draw closes on 2 May 2017. The winner will be chosen randomly from all entrants and will be notified by 14 May 2017.
Our canvas bags are also available for sale with an RRP of £9.99. However, if you spend more than £25.00 on books, through Lovereading, you can claim one totally FREE OF CHARGE! Or spend over £15.00 on books, through Lovereading, and you can buy one for the special price of just £4.99. Click here to find out more.
Here's what one of our members thinks of her bag
A big thank you for the two Lovereading bags I ordered, which have arrived safely. I love mine and will use it with pride. The bags are lovely quality, sturdy and support a good cause in the Rewrap initiative; I think they make the perfect accessory for any book lover. The second bag was a gift for my sister and she says she will take it to her next book group meeting to help spread the Lovereading word. Once again, many thanks. Emily Wright
A Dark So Deadly by Stuart MacBride
Gripping standalone thriller from the Sunday Times No. 1 bestselling author of the Logan McRae series. Welcome to the Misfit Mob...It's where Police Scotland dumps the officers it can't get rid of, but wants to: the outcasts, the troublemakers, the compromised. Officers like DC Callum MacGregor, lumbered with all the boring go-nowhere cases. So when an ancient mummy turns up at the Oldcastle tip, it's his job to find out which museum it's been stolen from. But then Callum uncovers links between his ancient corpse and three missing young men, and life starts to get a lot more interesting. O Division's Major Investigation Teams already have more cases than they can cope with, so, against everyone's better judgement, the Misfit Mob are just going to have to manage this one on their own. No one expects them to succeed, but right now they're the only thing standing between the killer's victims and a slow, lingering death. The question is, can they prove everyone wrong before he strikes again?
Praise for Stuart MacBride:
'Dark and gripping. A riveting page-turner
Independent on Sunday
'MacBride is a damned fine writer'
'A satisfyingly compelling thriller'
'Skilful storytelling ... strong characterisation ... both intriguing and engrossing'
's thrillers just keep getting better'
'Exciting ... a guaranteed bestseller'
'Unmissable ... Superb storytelling'
'Crime fiction of the highest order'
'A terrific writer ... Logan McRae is a delight'
About the Author
Publication date20th April 2017
More books by Stuart MacBride
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherHarperCollins Publishers Ltd an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
CategoriesCrime & mystery
Thriller / suspense
If you love reading, then you'll love Lovereading! Full of tips & info for every discerning reader.Lynne Rapson
You can trust Lovereading to show unbiased reviews by actual, ordinary readers that help likeminded booklovers choose their next great read.Linda Hill
The books for review are always great reads, brilliantly written, and introduces me to a huge variety of, established and new, authors.Lesley Hart
Hooked on books? Give Lovereading a go - for the chance to discover brilliant books, and to see why our members love it so.Claire Hill
Lovereading is a world of books. It has everything you need from new to old and much loved classic books. It even give you recommendations!Kate Thurston
I love the honest opinions, recommendations for every genre and every reader, wish lists and Like for Like.Amrita Dasgupta
Books of the month/debuts of the month, kids/adults, fiction/non-fiction, free prize draws and free extracts, what's not to love?Emma Smith
A great place to go to find your next literary escape, and where you don't have to judge a book by its cover!Suzanne Beney