This edition has not yet been published
If available, why not choose another format from the 'Other Formats' box on the right.
What Alice Knew
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
As soon as this book is published
we will send you an email.
Please login (or signup) to pre-order this book
You will need to Sign Up or Login to pre-order this book, as we have to know where to send it when it's published.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password\nand let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
What Alice Knew is enough to devastate anyone. Admittedly I would not always have acted as she did but OMG she had some tough choices to make after a dreadful set of circumstances befell her. Poor woman. Much soul-searching and agony ensues. She, Alice, is a portrait painter and we are given an astute insight into the mind of such an artist and her interpretation of the modern art world. He, Ed her husband, is a highly respected obstetrician with a protégé who has a party after his exams and that is where our problem arises. I loved this book, really found it impossible to draw away from, once finished it haunted me for days. Compulsive, informative and very thought-provoking. I admire Mr Cotterell’s ability to portray a woman until the very end when I think he went a tad too far but it makes for a great ending. ~ Sarah Broadhurst
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Lucy Copes - 'Fantastic book! A rollercoaster of emotion as if you were really with Alice the whole way, going through her crazy life. A definite page-turner which will keep you hooked even once you've read it.'
- Ruth Carson-Byrne - 'A real page-turner, this book is difficult to put down and gets right into the heart of a couple's relationship and dissects it with precision.'
- Anne-Marie Mendieta - 'A complete page-turner, I was engrossed and gripped from the very first page!'
- Natasha Potter - 'Think this book is going to be stuck in my head for a while. Definitely one I can't wait for my friends to read so I can talk about it. 5 stars.'
- Diane Hinchley - 'With twists and turns throughout you'll be captivated until the last page. Highly recommended.'
- Carneika Washbrook - 'Is this a thriller? A mystery? Who cares! I couldn't put this book down until it was finished, and by the end - wow!'
- Phylippa Smithson - 'At times a plodding murder cover up, but to get to the end will serve to justify the remarkably slow build up as it leads to one amazing crescendo at almost the final page.'
- Alison Burns - 'I rattled through it and enjoyed the author's writing style, all the while imagining what the final twists and turns the plot would take...I will look out for this author in future.'
- Victoria Whish - 'What would you do if you knew what Alice knew? A clever, psychological thriller about a night out that has far reaching implications for a marriage and family.'
- Edel Waugh - 'All in all it is a terrific story with an ending open to interpretation that will have you thinking of the story again and again.'
- Helen Treadwell - 'Alice has it all until one night her husband Ed doesn’t come home. The repercussions of that night tear their lives apart and it’s fascinating to see how this changes their relationship...I found this novel gripping and a real page-turner.'
- Judi Davies - 'Thrilling read. Interesting plot. Kept me guessing until the end.'
- Clare Wilkins - 'A good well-paced thriller, clearly and concisely written and with a shocking twist at the end.'
- Jane Brown - 'The title says it all, someone who appears to have it all but one phone call and a disappearance- this is a book you cannot put down...What a debut novel and a great author- cannot wait for her next novel.'
What Alice Knew by TA Cotterell
Intriguing and layered ...an impressive debut. (Shari Lapena, author of The Couple Next Door). It made me look at marriage in a different light. (Jane Corry, author of My Husband's Wife). How far would you go to keep a secret? Alice has a perfect life - a great job, happy kids, a wonderful husband. Until he goes missing one night; she receives a suspicious phone call; things don't quite add up. Alice needs to know what's going on. But when she uncovers the truth she faces a brutal choice. And how can she be sure it is the truth? Sometimes it's better not to know.
'An intriguing and layered psychological thriller, What Alice Knew will hold you fast till its startling conclusion-and then you'll want to talk about it to anyone who will listen. An impressive debut.' Shari Lapena, author of The Couple Next Door
'Intriguing and compelling - it made me look at marriage in a different light ...' Jane Corry, Author of 'My Husband's Wife
'The suspense [is] beautifully sustained ... the writing is finely crafted. Joanne Harris An utterly gripping brilliant plot and beautiful prose' Gillian McAllister, author of 'Everything but the Truth
'If you love crime thrillers that look at relationships (see The Widow by Fiona Barton or My Husband's Son by Deborah O'Connor), this is definitely one for you. The novel subverts the usual 'whodunnit' angle of mystery novels and instead looks at what happens after you know who 'did it', and what you would do. Would you reveal their secret, or protect them at any cost?' Hello!
About the Author
Publication date4th May 2017
More books by TA Cotterell
Author 'Like for Like'
PublisherBlack Swan an imprint of Transworld Publishers Ltd
CategoriesCrime & mystery
Modern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
Lovereading helps me decide what real people read.Kerry Bridges
It is a website dedicated to those who adore reading It really is a one stop shop for book lovers. Love it!Edel Waugh
You can trust Lovereading to show unbiased reviews by actual, ordinary readers that help likeminded booklovers choose their next great read.Linda Hill
I read new, exciting writers and established authors before publication and there is a great website full of brilliant books and opinions.Lynda
I love the 'like for like' author recommendations, it's like an old friend whispering in your ear.Emma Caddick
You'll always find what you never knew you were looking for and you're always spoilt for choice.Helen Jones
Why I love @lovereadinguk? It's in the name - as dedicated lovers of reading, they are perfect matchmakers for helping me find my next read!Catherine Jenkins
Lovereading is a world of books. It has everything you need from new to old and much loved classic books. It even give you recommendations!Kate Thurston