This edition has not yet been published
If available, why not choose another format from the 'Other Formats' box on the right.
What Alice Knew
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
As soon as this book is published
we will send you an email.
Please login (or signup) to pre-order this book
You will need to Sign Up or Login to pre-order this book, as we have to know where to send it when it's published.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password\nand let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
What Alice Knew is enough to devastate anyone. Admittedly I would not always have acted as she did but OMG she had some tough choices to make after a dreadful set of circumstances befell her. Poor woman. Much soul-searching and agony ensues. She, Alice, is a portrait painter and we are given an astute insight into the mind of such an artist and her interpretation of the modern art world. He, Ed her husband, is a highly respected obstetrician with a protégé who has a party after his exams and that is where our problem arises. I loved this book, really found it impossible to draw away from, once finished it haunted me for days. Compulsive, informative and very thought-provoking. I admire Mr Cotterell’s ability to portray a woman until the very end when I think he went a tad too far but it makes for a great ending. ~ Sarah Broadhurst
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Lucy Copes - 'Fantastic book! A rollercoaster of emotion as if you were really with Alice the whole way, going through her crazy life. A definite page-turner which will keep you hooked even once you've read it.'
- Ruth Carson-Byrne - 'A real page-turner, this book is difficult to put down and gets right into the heart of a couple's relationship and dissects it with precision.'
- Anne-Marie Mendieta - 'A complete page-turner, I was engrossed and gripped from the very first page!'
- Natasha Potter - 'Think this book is going to be stuck in my head for a while. Definitely one I can't wait for my friends to read so I can talk about it. 5 stars.'
- Diane Hinchley - 'With twists and turns throughout you'll be captivated until the last page. Highly recommended.'
- Carneika Washbrook - 'Is this a thriller? A mystery? Who cares! I couldn't put this book down until it was finished, and by the end - wow!'
- Phylippa Smithson - 'At times a plodding murder cover up, but to get to the end will serve to justify the remarkably slow build up as it leads to one amazing crescendo at almost the final page.'
- Alison Burns - 'I rattled through it and enjoyed the author's writing style, all the while imagining what the final twists and turns the plot would take...I will look out for this author in future.'
- Victoria Whish - 'What would you do if you knew what Alice knew? A clever, psychological thriller about a night out that has far reaching implications for a marriage and family.'
- Edel Waugh - 'All in all it is a terrific story with an ending open to interpretation that will have you thinking of the story again and again.'
- Helen Treadwell - 'Alice has it all until one night her husband Ed doesn’t come home. The repercussions of that night tear their lives apart and it’s fascinating to see how this changes their relationship...I found this novel gripping and a real page-turner.'
- Judi Davies - 'Thrilling read. Interesting plot. Kept me guessing until the end.'
- Clare Wilkins - 'A good well-paced thriller, clearly and concisely written and with a shocking twist at the end.'
- Jane Brown - 'The title says it all, someone who appears to have it all but one phone call and a disappearance- this is a book you cannot put down...What a debut novel and a great author- cannot wait for her next novel.'
Win an exclusive Lovereading Canvas bag worth £9.99
This month we have 3 of our sturdy, exclusive and simply gorgeous Lovereading Canvas book bags. To have a chance of winning this wonderful prize, click the button below.
Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter. Draw closes on 2 May 2017. The winner will be chosen randomly from all entrants and will be notified by 14 May 2017.
Our canvas bags are also available for sale with an RRP of £9.99. However, if you spend more than £25.00 on books, through Lovereading, you can claim one totally FREE OF CHARGE! Or spend over £15.00 on books, through Lovereading, and you can buy one for the special price of just £4.99. Click here to find out more.
Here's what one of our members thinks of her bag
A big thank you for the two Lovereading bags I ordered, which have arrived safely. I love mine and will use it with pride. The bags are lovely quality, sturdy and support a good cause in the Rewrap initiative; I think they make the perfect accessory for any book lover. The second bag was a gift for my sister and she says she will take it to her next book group meeting to help spread the Lovereading word. Once again, many thanks. Emily Wright
What Alice Knew by TA Cotterell
Intriguing and layered ...an impressive debut. (Shari Lapena, author of The Couple Next Door). It made me look at marriage in a different light. (Jane Corry, author of My Husband's Wife). How far would you go to keep a secret? Alice has a perfect life - a great job, happy kids, a wonderful husband. Until he goes missing one night; she receives a suspicious phone call; things don't quite add up. Alice needs to know what's going on. But when she uncovers the truth she faces a brutal choice. And how can she be sure it is the truth? Sometimes it's better not to know.
'An intriguing and layered psychological thriller, What Alice Knew will hold you fast till its startling conclusion-and then you'll want to talk about it to anyone who will listen. An impressive debut.' Shari Lapena, author of The Couple Next Door
'Intriguing and compelling - it made me look at marriage in a different light ...' Jane Corry, Author of 'My Husband's Wife
'The suspense [is] beautifully sustained ... the writing is finely crafted. Joanne Harris An utterly gripping brilliant plot and beautiful prose' Gillian McAllister, author of 'Everything but the Truth
'If you love crime thrillers that look at relationships (see The Widow by Fiona Barton or My Husband's Son by Deborah O'Connor), this is definitely one for you. The novel subverts the usual 'whodunnit' angle of mystery novels and instead looks at what happens after you know who 'did it', and what you would do. Would you reveal their secret, or protect them at any cost?' Hello!
About the Author
Publication date4th May 2017
More books by TA Cotterell
Author 'Like for Like'
PublisherBlack Swan an imprint of Transworld Publishers Ltd
CategoriesCrime & mystery
Modern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
I love reading because my cares & woes vanish for an hour or two whilst I read of the joys, adventures, lives of the characters in the book.Jennifer Moville
Thanks to Lovereading I have discovered new writers and read books I would never had looked twice at - and enjoyed them.Angela Rhodes
At Lovereading there are fabulous books available in every genre, with great reviews to help you pick the right book for you.Teresa O'Halloran
Lovereading takes the guesswork out of finding your next read with "if you like you'll love" and extracts to help with your decision.Sarah Bruch
It has opened my eyes to different authors and genres. Just log on and try, you will be surprised and not want for reading material again.Jocelyn Garvey
I love reading books I wouldn't normally choose before everyone else gets to read them!Dawn Lynch
Lovereading recommends, honestly reviews and promotes books-what more can I say?!Rachel Bridgeman
Lovereading - a community of people passionate about reading and sharing their views. An incomparable website for book lovers.Helen Clark