£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
February 2017 Book of the Month.
Right from the start Paris throws you into an intense atmosphere of confusion, suspense and fear. Taking a shortcut home on a stormy, summer night proves to have life-changing consequences for Cass when she spots what appears to be a breakdown along the way. She stops to offer assistance but when there is no apparent response she heads home telling herself that she’ll call the police once she’s home to report the incident. The next day she discovers that the driver of the car has been brutally murdered and is immediately filled with guilt as she realises she forgot to make the call. Slowly her life begins to unravel as she’s convinced the killer saw her stop and is now stalking her. Paris takes us right into heart of the story as we follow Cass on a journey of despair and self-doubt. Her mother’s early death from Dementia adds fuel to the increasing distress she feels as her own memory begins to fail her. There is a real sense of foreboding within this novel. Cass’s voice is one filled with terror, guilt and desperation. This is a woman whose sanity is pushed to the edge and as the novel progresses the intensity of her experience is relayed to the reader offering an exciting read as we try to work out what really happened that night and how much memory affects us. ~ Shelley Fallows
In addition to our expert opinion, a small number of our Lovereading reader review panel members were lucky enough to be invited to review B.A.Paris' debut novel Behind Closed Doors. You can read the full reviews here.
- Sharon McKinlay - 'A deeply unsettling, chilling book.'
- Phylippa Smithson - 'A 286 page alarming roller coaster of a read that portrays a very disturbing and haunting relationship that is wrong, very, very wrong. Quite brilliant.'
- Laura Gardner - 'A chilling read which will stay with you for a long time.'
- Chris Bertenshaw - 'Highly readable story of a trapped wife with a deranged husband. Good for anyone who likes thrillers that look like there is no hope.'
- Sallyann Spittle - 'What a brilliant book - it had me hooked from the first page.'
- Humaira Kauser - 'Behind Closed Doors was impossible to put down. A riveting and addictive page turner for sure!'
- Danielle Holyland - ‘There's only one word for this book - amazing. This has got to be one of my favourite reads of 2015. I would urge anyone that loves a good thriller to read this book!’
- Angie Rhodes - ‘Behind Closed Doors is excellent - as the story unfolds, you the reader become panic stricken, hardly daring to breathe, turning the page ever so slowly so that you don't break the hypnotic spell B.A. Paris has woven, with her first novel. Can't wait for the next one!’
- Sarah Borley - ‘Behind Closed Doors is a book about secrets, lies and what really happens behind closed doors.’
- Suzanne Marsh - ‘B. A. Paris is most certainly going to be an author to keep a watch out for in the future. I couldn't put the book down I just loved every page of Behind Closed Doors.’
- Edel Waugh - ‘Domestic abuse can be a difficult situation to understand, but I think the author did an excellent job of showing how a normal woman can get fooled and pulled into a relationship with a domestic abuser.’
- Vikki Patis - ‘The plot itself is fascinating and intricate. It holds terror and humour, shock and relief, and manages to twist and turn several times throughout the short novel.’
- Anne Cater - ‘B A Paris is a very gifted author, this story is incredibly well written and deals with the darkest and most evil of issues.’
Sharon Wood - ‘Creepy and disturbing, but also addictive! A psychological thriller in the same genre as Gone Girl and the Girl on the Train.’
- Gavin Dimmock - ‘Can the perfect couple in the perfect home really be so perfect? A less than perfect read for this reviewer.’
- Sarah Harper - 'An utterly compelling journey through the darker side of the human psyche. Your blood will run cold but you won’t be able to stop reading, I promise you that.'
The Breakdown by B. A. Paris
If you can't trust yourself, who can you trust? It all started that night in the woods. Cass Anderson didn't stop to help the woman in the car, and now that woman is dead. Ever since, silent calls have been plaguing Cass and she's sure someone is watching her every move. It doesn't help that she's forgetting everything, too. Where she left the car, if she took her pills, the house alarm code - and whether the knife in the kitchen really had blood on it.
Praise for Behind Closed Doors:
'If you loved The Girl on the Train read Behind Closed Doors' - Elle magazine
'Brilliant, chilling, scary and unputdownable.' - Lesley Pearse, bestselling author of Without a Trace
'You'll love this' - The Sun
'Chilling' - Heat
'WOW. The sign of a great book is when you realise you have forgotten to breathe during an entire chapter. Read it ... but make sure you leave the lights on' - Tracy Fenton, founder of THE Book Club on Facebook
About the Author
Publication date9th February 2017
AuthorB. A. Paris
More books by B. A. Paris
Author 'Like for Like'
PublisherHQ an imprint of Harlequin (UK)
CategoriesThriller / suspense
Modern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
My favourite thing about is the 'like for like' page this has really introduced me to some good reads! That and lots of honest reviews.Sam Lewis
Love Reading - it not only does what it says on the tin, it does it with Jam on!!Maz Tucker
Love books. Love reading. Love reading books. And, here's the trick. Here's a website which caters for people like me.Ian Harvey-brown
I love the honest opinions, recommendations for every genre and every reader, wish lists and Like for Like.Amrita Dasgupta
Lovereading recommends, honestly reviews and promotes books-what more can I say?!Rachel Bridgeman
Thanks to Lovereading I have discovered new writers and read books I would never had looked twice at - and enjoyed them.Angela Rhodes
The selections are so varied and the reader reviews are so helpful. A fantastic website for those who love books.Ann Quintilla
At Lovereading there are fabulous books available in every genre, with great reviews to help you pick the right book for you.Teresa O'Halloran