The Nowhere ManAn Orphan X Thriller Series
£12.99 saving £2.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
A Maxim Jakubowski selected title.
In the initial, bestselling book of the series, ORPHAN X, Hurwitz introduced Evan Smoak, a cross between Jason Bourne and Jack Reacher, a lethally-trained operative who's now gone rogue and instead of acting for shadowy government agencies or the highest bidder now offers his services free of charge to those who are in desperate straits, using his singular talents, tech-savvy zen warrior skills, and enhanced technological arsenal. His second adventure begins with Evan kidnapped and locked in a room with no idea where he is and highly trained guards on surveillance duty outside. Then a call for help comes in and his escape becomes a deadline for both himself and others who rely on him. Will his really particular skills prove sufficient this time? This is a thriller in sheer overdrive, perfectly-paced, fast and violent, heavy on the weaponry and electronic paraphernalia and a genuine page-turner. You can almost visualise the inevitable movie as you speed along the pages. But who indeed might play Evan Smoak? ~ Maxim Jakubowski
February 2017 Book of the Month.
The Lovereading view...
Oh yes! Another adrenaline shot filled book of pure and wonderful escapism. I have to admit to being slightly worried, could the second ‘Evan Smoak thriller’ live up to my expectations? The first few sentences certainly spiked my interest, a few more and I realised what this meant, but I had no idea were it would lead. If this is your first foray, do start with 'Orphan X', the first book in the series is a must read and perfect introduction to Evan. Gregg Hurwitz has slipped a vulnerable edge into his main character, it ensures Evan remains within touching distance, even while killing the bad guys (which he does, rather a lot). The Nowhere Man kicks, punches and shoots his way through this book, he also thinks on his feet, and when off his feet, takes a trip or two down memory lane. I escaped into ‘The Nowhere Man’ in one sitting, and will be keeping watch in the book isle, waiting to see where Evan heads off to next. ~ Liz Robinson
- Phylippa Smithson - 'Jack Reacher eat your heart out, competition has arrived in the form of Evan Smoak. And wow this is one fantastic cat and mouse thriller.'
- Sue Pledger - 'Wow! Fast and furious, really loved it.'
- Angie Rhodes - 'A page turner? Hell yes, is he everything a woman wants like Jack Reacher? Yes! And like Jack he is so much better than James Bond.'
- Chris Parfitt - 'A gripping thriller that will keep you turning the pages.'
- Judy Connolly - 'A really well plotted and fast paced book. I hope use shall see more of Agent X in future.'
- Edel Waugh - 'I really liked Evan, his past, and his whole hero persona is admirable and you can't help but want him to do well. I was rooting for him throughout the entire book. I loved this!'
- Michelle Hodson - 'Evan is my kind of hero. I read this book in super-fast time as I found it difficult to put down. The story raced along with engaging characters and an interesting plot. Brilliant read!!!'
- Ian Tyreman - 'Excellent page turner a must for anyone looking for a quick thriller novel. Hooked from the first page, and raced through to cliff hanger end leaving me wanting more.'
- Sara McLaughlin - 'Wow! When is the next instalment coming out? This is a great read – fast paced, thrilling and the main character even has a heart.'
- Annette Woolfson - 'This new series will surely appeal to all Jack Reacher and Jason Bourne fans...I thought this was a passable read...but overall I felt the inordinate attention to detail...was just too much.'
- Nikki Chandler - 'This book is a must-read thriller that left me unable to stop thinking about it if I tried to put it down! Fast-paced and brilliantly written to keep you wanting more!'
The Nowhere Man by Gregg Hurwitz
IF YOU'VE READ ORPHAN X YOU'LL BE DYING TO READ THIS He was once called Orphan X. As a boy, Evan Smoak was taken from a children's home, raised and trained as part of a secret government initiative buried so deep that virtually no one knows it exists. But he broke with the programme, choosing instead to vanish off grid and use his formidable skill set to help those unable to protect themselves. One day, though, Evan's luck ran out ...Ambushed, drugged, and spirited away, Evan wakes up in a locked room with no idea where he is or who has captured him. As he tries to piece together what's happened, testing his gilded prison and its highly trained guards for weaknesses, he receives a desperate call for help. With time running out, he will need to out-think, out-manoeuvre, and out-fight an opponent the likes of whom he's never encountered to have any chance of escape. He's got to save himself to protect those whose lives depend on him. Or die trying ...The Nowhere Man delivers another masterclass in hi-octane thriller writing. It doesn't get better than this.
'Orphan X blows the doors off most thrillers I've read and catapults the readers on a cat-and-mouse that feels like a missile launch. Read this book. You will thank me later -- David Baldacci Orphan X is the most gripping, high-octane thriller I've read in a long, long time!' -- Tess Gerritsen
'Memorable as hell' -- James Patterson
'Orphan X is his best yet - a real celebration of all the strengths Gregg Hurwitz brings to a thriller' -- Lee Child
'Orphan X is the most exciting thriller I've read since The Bourne Identity ... A new thriller superstar is born!' -- Robert Crais
'Orphan X is most exciting new series character since Jack Reacher. A page-turning masterpiece of suspense' -- Jonathan Kellerman
'A new series character to rival Reacher ... anyone reading Orphan X won't be surprised that a cadre of peers, from Tess Gerritsen to Lee Child, have lined up to praise it' Independent
'The page-turner of the season is Orphan X ... Wonderful' The Times
'A masterpiece of suspense and thrills ... Turn off the real world and dive into this amazing start to a new series' Daily Mail
About the Author
Publication date26th January 2017
More books by Gregg Hurwitz
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherMichael Joseph Ltd an imprint of Penguin Books Ltd
CategoriesThriller / suspense
Lovereading has all the new books and also suggestions for 'similar' authors whilst waiting for your favourites new books.Carol Peace
I love the honest opinions, recommendations for every genre and every reader, wish lists and Like for Like.Amrita Dasgupta
Their sending me my first book to review 18 months ago re-awakened my fondness for reading, since then I have purchased some real gems.Barry Griffiths
It has enriched my leisure time by introducing me to a world of books which I would not have previously considered.Val Rowe
Lovereading has given me the opportunity to delve into new and exciting worlds of authors who I would never have tried before.Glynis Elliott
It's a lively, independent website with reviews, recommendations and more - with a huge range of books available to buy in all formats.Alison Layland
I read new, exciting writers and established authors before publication and there is a great website full of brilliant books and opinions.Lynda
If you LOVE reading then you will love LOVEREADING! It's a 'novel' idea. Seriously though I could not recommend them enough.Rebecca Whymark