£14.99 saving £3.00 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
One of our Books of the Year 2016.
July 2016 Debut of the Month.
A detailed, intriguing and highly enjoyable debut historical thriller. James Greenacre is accused of murdering his bride and his mistress, Sarah Gale, is convicted of aiding him in disposing of her body. Public opinion flares up against Sarah and the Home Secretary gets a young lawyer, Edward Fleetwood, to investigate the police evidence. May there have been something amiss? Certainly the facts are puzzling. Sarah's incarceration in Newgate Jail, we are in 1837, is particularly vicious and vividly described. Our young lawyer has a deadline to deliver his evidence and a conscience to battle with. This builds to a terrific and unexpected conclusion. I was totally hooked in the last unputdownable 160 pages. Good stuff. ~ Sarah Broadhurst
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Suze Lavender - 'The Unseeing is a fascinating, thrilling and captivating novel. Anna Mazzola is a great writer. I love her beautiful writing style and the way she handles suspense, by releasing it in small dosages, is laudable. I highly recommend this nerve-wracking book.'
- Melanie Chadwick - 'An excellent book, with the historical information from newspapers and contemporary sources neatly woven in to create a very credible fiction.'
- Sarah Webb - 'An engrossing page turner – a great debut.'
- Mary Gibson - 'Fact and fiction merge and it makes for a fascinating read. I loved it.'
- Jo-anne Atkinson - 'Satisfying fiction based on fact - a whodunnit with a couple of interesting twists and a commentary on women's lives in the early 19th century.'
- Carolyn Huckfield - 'A long forgotten murder case has been used to create a brilliant story that paints a vivid picture of London on the cusp of the Victorian era.'
- Vicky-Leigh Sayer - 'A grizzly tale of murder in Victorian London that will leave you wanting more...An exciting new voice in historical fiction, Anna Mazzola is definitely an author to watch.'
- Lynda DeFreitas - 'A fantastic read. I couldn't put it down.'
- Phylippa Smithson - 'Very intriguing crime thriller with such granular detail of the brutal lives many lived (notably women) in 19th century London, I am left feeling relieved to be living in today's world.'
- Rachel Aygin - 'A historical mystery reminiscent of Rory Clements, this book also provides a glimpse of what life was like for prisoners inside the notorious Newgate Prison. An enjoyable read.'
- Jane Ashbrook - 'A thoroughly enjoyable crime novel based on a true story, set in Victorian times. Plenty of twists and turns, keeping the reader guessing right until the end.'
- Vikki Patis - 'Mazzola writes with a practiced hand. She knows her way around the Victorian underworld of poverty, desperation, and depravity like a seasoned historian...a gritty, glorious debutand it is not to be missed.
- Angie Rhodes - 'Dark. Gothic Delicious! Based in a real life case, Anna at once draws the reader into the murky, world of London, a time of horse drawn carriages, and pickpockets.'
- Jane Macleod - 'This is a book you just won't be able to put down, with twists and turns to the story until the very end...I really enjoyed this!'
- Siobhan McDowell - 'I was immediately drawn into this murky, atmospheric and dark novel...The plot was tightly controlled and I was truly shocked by the sensational outcome...not at all expected!'
- Kerry Bridges - 'Anna Mazzola has tried to take what was clearly an interesting case and add some life to it.'
- Humaira Kauser - 'Such an intriguing story that had me right from the first words of the book!'
- Suzanne Beney - 'An atmospheric and fast paced historic crime story, which has you gripped from the start.'
- Suze - 'A brilliant, intriguing novel that kept me glued to my seat for many hours.'
- Edel Waugh - 'The story contained a few twists and turns keeping the reader on its toes to the very surprising end.'
Win tickets to Chiddingstone Castle Lit Fest
We have four pairs of tickets to give away to hear Alison Weir at the Chiddingstone Castle Literary Festival Sunday 30 April 4 - 5 pm. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter. Multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once and the prize cannot be exchanged for cash and does not include transport or accommodation. Draw closes on Friday 17 April. The winners will be chosen randomly from all entrants and will be notified by 20 April 2017.
The Unseeing by Anna Mazzola
'With this intricately woven tale of trust, self-trust and deceit, Anna Mazzola brings a gritty realism to Victorian London. Beautifully written and cleverly plotted, this is a stunning debut, ranked amongst the best' MANDA SCOTT After Sarah petitions for mercy, Edmund Fleetwood is appointed to investigate and consider whether justice has been done. Idealistic, but struggling with his own demons, Edmund is determined to seek out the truth. Yet Sarah refuses to help him, neither lying nor adding anything to the evidence gathered in court. Edmund knows she's hiding something, but needs to discover just why she's maintaining her silence. For how can it be that someone would willingly go to their own death?
'With this intricately woven tale of trust, self-trust and deceit, Anna Mazzola brings a gritty realism to Victorian London. Beautifully written and cleverly plotted, this is a stunning debut, ranked amongst the best' -- Manda Scott
The Unseeing is deft, dark and delicious. Anna Mazzola writes brilliantly about Victorian London, a fascinating crime and an intriguing heroine -- Janet Ellis, author of THE BUTCHER'S HOOK
About the Author
Publication date14th July 2016
More books by Anna Mazzola
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherTinder Press an imprint of Headline Publishing Group
The best new books on the market, reviewed honestly, to give your readers the best choices.Julie Cook
My favourite thing about is the 'like for like' page this has really introduced me to some good reads! That and lots of honest reviews.Sam Lewis
Lovereading has given me the opportunity to delve into new and exciting worlds of authors who I would never have tried before.Glynis Elliott
I love the honest opinions, recommendations for every genre and every reader, wish lists and Like for Like.Amrita Dasgupta
Lovereading is like booking a holiday, you don't know what it will be like and it is a whole new experience.Sue Burton
The selections are so varied and the reader reviews are so helpful. A fantastic website for those who love books.Ann Quintilla
If you LOVE reading then you will love LOVEREADING! It's a 'novel' idea. Seriously though I could not recommend them enough.Rebecca Whymark
Lovereading helps me decide what real people read.Kerry Bridges