The Hanging ClubDC Max Wolfe Series
£12.99 saving £2.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
One of our Books of the Year 2016.
June 2016 Book of the Month.
The third in the London based detective series featuring a man I really like, one Max Wolf, second in command in the Saville Row Crime Squad. His very human female boss here has some sad personal tragedy to cope with leaving Max in charge for a bit. The case they are chasing is vigilante stuff, where hangings are streamed live on the web. Those hanged seem unconnected but all have committed horrible crimes and got off lightly. An organised gang of four masked executioners take the law into their own hands. This is fast suspenseful stuff with lots of human touches as one would expect from the author of Man and Boy and Starting Over. We learn more of Max himself who is a single parent with a five year old daughter just starting school and a very interesting old schoolfriend, ex-Afghan veteran, who makes a dramatic appearance. This is a clever, highly recommended thriller, with some interesting historical facts about London. I loved it. ~ Sarah Broadhurst
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Lesley Mumbray-Williams - 'a brilliant and compelling read, frightening and thoroughly enjoyable. Highly recommended!'
- Janet Gilliard - 'grabbed me from the opening sentence and didn't let go until the last page...By far the best Max Wolfe novel.'
- Anne Rhodes - 'What is justice? What is revenge? What is retribution? These questions will pop in and out of your thoughts as you read – you may change your mind along the way – but you will be spell-bound from the first page to the last!'
- Alan Brown - 'A thriller with a conscience. An excellent beginning and a good story. Emotional and cerebral.'
- Lisa Hall - 'Another brilliant instalment in the DC Max Wolfe series - fast paced, twisty and very, very addictive...this is far and away the best so far.'
- Kerry Bridges - 'Another thrilling read; I highly recommend the whole series!'
- Carol Peace - 'A great read and one that held my attention from the very first page through to the very last. A reading roller coaster. 5*'
- Mary Chapman - 'D C Wolfe was a well written and believable character. I was gripped from page one.'
- Katherine Stewart - 'A gripping story.'
- Glenda Worth - 'The Hanging Club is one of those books that draws you in and keeps you hooked until the very end. People taking the law into their own hands and hanging evil men. DI Wolfe is on the case.'
- Judith Sharp - 'Fantastic crime series. A must read together with the first two in the series. DC Max Wolfe should get a promotion to DS after this latest exploit.'
- Ray Orgill - 'This is not a book for the over-squeamish but it has quite a twist at the end.'
- Phylippa Smithson - 'A British author of thrillers to compete in the Premier League of crime writing.'
- Clare Turner - 'A gripping story, atmospheric, thought-provoking and exciting. Strongly recommended, especially for Max Wolfe fans!'
- Linda Birt - 'I enjoyed reading about DC Wolfe family as the investigations left me breathless.'
- Kate Moloney - 'The Hanging Club is a brilliant, tautly written thriller. Graphic, dark and suspenseful, it is an excellent installment in the DC Max Wolfe series.'
- Melanie Rose - 'The next DC Wolfe instalment ... just gets better.'
- Daran Bellingham - 'If you like novels that make you question things in your head then this is for you, vigilantism and capital punishment are the main themes of the story. '
- Lynda DeFreitas - 'I was hooked from the very first sentence in the prologue...I have not read the first two books featuring DC Max Wolfe but I will be doing now.'
- Jan Kirkcaldy - 'With a number of twists and turns it is a fascinating tale where you feel there is a great deal of truth in it – worryingly though it may be. I would thoroughly recommend it.'
The Hanging Club by Tony Parsons
A band of vigilante executioners roam London's hot summer nights, abducting evil men and hanging them by the neck until dead. SENTENCED TO DEATH: The gang member who's abused vulnerable girls; and, the wealthy drunk driver who's mowed down a child; the hate preacher calling for the murder of British soldiers. As the bodies pile up and riots explode across the sweltering city, DC Max Wolfe hunts a gang of killers who many believe to be heroes. And discovers that the lust for revenge starts very close to home...
Browse inside this book
About the Author
Publication date19th May 2016
More books by Tony Parsons
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherCentury an imprint of Cornerstone
CategoriesCrime & mystery
It's the first site that I visit when deciding on the next set of books to buy. A particular treat is being able to download an extract.Tessa Olson
Lovereading - a community of people passionate about reading and sharing their views. An incomparable website for book lovers.Helen Clark
I read new, exciting writers and established authors before publication and there is a great website full of brilliant books and opinions.Lynda
Lovereading is a world of books. It has everything you need from new to old and much loved classic books. It even give you recommendations!Kate Thurston
My favourite thing about is the 'like for like' page this has really introduced me to some good reads! That and lots of honest reviews.Sam Lewis
Its jam packed with fantastic titles, informative descriptions & fantastic reviews and has a vast array of great features & competitions.Linda Rollins
I love Lovereading because I get to read great books and then get to tell everybody how good they are.Sally Doel
It's information about new books so, for a book lover like me, what's not to like!Joan Hill