How to Get Ahead in Television
£3.99 saving £0.80 (20%)
when in stock
As soon as this book is back in stock we will send you an email.Compare book price We'd love you to buy your books from Lovereading - especially if we helped you to choose them! But as our mantra is guidance, and that includes guidance on price, please do use our 'Compare Book Price' service to discover if the best value deal is from Lovereading or another specialist bookstore.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
September 2015 Debut of the Month and eBook of the Month.
An amusing, wicked taste of the television world sits gleefully alongside a teasing romantic story in ‘How to Get Ahead in Television’. With the often calamitous events that befall Poppy, there is just a whisper of the ‘Bridget Jones’ effect at work. Sophie Cousens is a Television Producer and winner of the Love at First Write competition, her inside knowledge makes it feel as though you are eavesdropping on some delightfully naughty insider gossip. Poppy is an engaging lead character, it’s easy to giggle alongside her, encourage her to believe in herself and occasionally raise an eyebrow in disbelief as she muddles through her life. This is a refreshing, entertaining read, full of lighthearted fun with a rather dishy side of romance. ~ Liz Robinson
‘A fast-paced, laugh-out-loud, romp through an embarrassingly accurate tale of telly folk’ Graham Norton.
Click here to read a blog from Sophie on how she feels to have won the Love at First Write competition.
Click here to read some tips on how to write romantic fiction from Corvus.
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Kathy Martin - 'Absolutely brilliant! Found myself going to bed early just so I could read more! Sorry when it was finished!'
- Karen McIntosh - 'Hilarious insight into the world of television reality shows!...The main character, Poppy is very likeable and the other characters she comes across in her work and family life are brilliant.'
- Annie Day - 'A witty take on the fickle world of TV production. This comical tale of Poppy's attempts to make her mark as a runner at RealiTV is hilarious.'
- Shriya Khambhaita - 'A face paced romantic comedy that will keep you hooked from start to finish.'
- Janet Gilliard - 'This is chick lit but well written with likeable characters and a strong seam of humour. It doesn't read like a debut novel but like a novel from a well-established author.'
- Humaira Kauser - 'Where do I begin with this book? It makes you laugh, cringe and smile like a goof. It’s absolutely amazing.'
- Catherine Bryce - 'An upbeat brilliant book that will lift your spirits and make you laugh.'
- Edel Waugh - 'I really enjoyed this book and I would recommend this to fans of Sophie Kinsella as it has so many laugh out loud moments!'
- Jane Macleod - 'Witty, engaging, modern, fun - How to Get Ahead in Television was a delight to read. I'm hoping there's another book- once you've met Poppy you will never forget her!'
How to Get Ahead in Television by Sophie Cousens
Poppy Penfold desperately wants a job in television. After months of dead-end applications she finally gets her big break landing a six month contract as a runner with RealiTV. As she begins her new role Poppy learns that a permanent job is available at the end of the contract, but she is going to be competing with fellow runner Rhydian: arrogant, highly competitive - and ridiculously good looking.Poppy goes all out to impress and eventually gets the attention of top producer JR with her game show idea. But in this crazy world of highly strung presenters, smug executives and people who will stab you in the back as soon as they get the chance Poppy soon realises that getting ahead in television isn't about playing by the rules...
About the Author
Publication date3rd September 2015
More books by Sophie Cousens
Author 'Like for Like'
PublisherCorvus an imprint of Atlantic Books
FormatElectronic book text
CategoriesModern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
My horizons have been broadened by some of the books I have been lucky to review and I expect it to be no different in the future.Daran Bellingham
I love reading books I wouldn't normally choose before everyone else gets to read them!Dawn Lynch
Lovereading is not only an amazing site, but it's one of my very favourites. It's like visiting a fascinating bookstore, but better.Rebecca Jayne Barrett
If you LOVE reading then you will love LOVEREADING! It's a 'novel' idea. Seriously though I could not recommend them enough.Rebecca Whymark
I 'Lovereading' because it lets me see what new books are around with a detailed synopsis and readers' reviews.Judith Sharp
Love Reading - it not only does what it says on the tin, it does it with Jam on!!Maz Tucker
Lovereading takes the guesswork out of finding your next read with "if you like you'll love" and extracts to help with your decision.Sarah Bruch
It gives a chance to read about new titles, invites comments from all kinds of readers and is run by such a nice bunch of book lovers.Joy Bosworth