LoveReading View on The Life I Left Behind
Written in the first person by the three main characters, one dead, one suffering from memory loss and the other trying to unravel the whole mess, this is a fast read where you will probably guess the villain of the piece quite early on. It harks back initially to 1987, then a murder some six years previous to the present action, then today. A bit predictable, a bit familiar but a nice easy read. It is her second novel, her first was better (Precious Thing) and I look forward to her third. ~ Sarah Broadhurst
The Life I Left Behind Synopsis
She's dead but she's the only one who knows what really happened; What your friends have said. What the police missed. Who attacked you. So if you want the truth who else are you going to turn to?
The Life I Left Behind Reader Reviews
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. Click here to read their full reviews.
- Farah Alam - 'I would recommend this book on the basis that it felt like you know who the killer was but, end up perhaps being wrong. The storyline wasn't as predictable and, I liked this book for it.'
- Gavin Dimmock - 'Two women are brutally attacked. They must find each other in order to learn the truth behind their attacks. A cleverly constructed novel told from two interesting viewpoints with a pulsating ending.'
- Reba Khatun - 'Colette McBeth is a brilliant writer. She kept me hooked from the first page to the very end.'
- Neil Williams - 'I'll certainly be looking out for more from this great new author.'
- Teresa O'Halloran - 'A truly breathtaking read. A gripping psychological thriller that pulls you in and holds you in suspense until the finish. Highly recommended.'
- Jenny Shirley - 'An interesting murder mystery, good but not great. Full of potential and easy to read but a little disappointing.'
- Nicola Kingswell - 'A rollercoaster thriller of a murder mystery...I can’t wait to read more by this author.'
- Alison Greenacre - 'Loved it! This is a great read. It's pacey, great characters and really thrilling story line...one of the best things I've read all year!'
- Caroline Mathews - 'Another page-turning thriller from Colette McBeth that kept me up way later than I should have been!'
- Rebecca Jayne - 'A compelling and enthralling suspense novel that will keep you up all night reading it until the end.'
- Jill Peters - 'Colette McBeth transports the reader into the minds and thoughts of the two main characters...I thoroughly enjoyed the book and would certainly recommend it to others.'
- Gill Wilmott - 'A simply excellent book...I shall now definitely be looking to read this author’s first novel, if it’s as good as this one I have missed a treat.'
- Fiona Rothery - 'A very well written and unpredictable thriller, it keeps you guessing with its constant interweaving. I would definitely recommend it.'
- Richard Hamlin – 'Colette McBeth is a talented writer, delivering a crime thriller with a series of twists and sinister revelations. This novel however stood out for me due to the wry observations that McBeth made throughout .'
- Edel Waugh - 'If you want a book to keep you up until the early hours flicking pages and eager to know how it will end then look no further than this book. Truly great.'
- Sarah Williams - 'I really enjoyed this psychological thriller and was pleasantly surprised by it...I will definitely be keeping an eye out for further titles by this author.'
- Debbie Patrick - 'Excellent book. Well worth reading.'
- Maureen Gourlay - 'No-one is what they seem in this gripping and chilling novel...it was not many pages in until I was gripped by this chilling tale.'
- Alison Bisping - 'This is Collette McBeth's second novel - and what a read. I can't wait for her to publish more.'
- Sheila Dale - 'This is a great psychological thriller, the characters are believable and the twist and turns are great, quit unputdownable.'
- Jenny Heardman - 'Eve is dead, yet she is the one person who can find her killer. A murder mystery with help from beyond the grave.'
- Cat Hogwood - 'How a life can be turned upside down - everyone has their own secrets...I enjoyed this book and once I was immersed in the story I couldn't put it down.'
- Helen Lowry - 'Complex characters, sharp writing and a sharper plot, all designed to draw the reader in and keep you guessing to the end. Highly recommended.'
- Emma Barton - 'This is an original book telling the story of two women who are linked through a vicious attack by the same violent man, but only one of them has survived.'
- Joan Sidwell - 'This book is extremely well written and researched, a real page turner with a gripping plot.'
The Life I Left Behind Press Reviews
'One of the best books of the year' Sun
'The Life I Left Behind is a rare thing; a well-paced, meticulously-researched thriller which is not just gripping but compassionate, too' -- Paula Hawkins, author of THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN
'Absolutely amazing. Grip-Lit of the highest order. Brilliant.' -- Marian Keyes
If you loved this, you might like these...