Wish You Were Here
£14.99 saving £3.00 (20%)
when in stock
As soon as this book is back in stock we will send you an email.Compare book price We'd love you to buy your books from Lovereading - especially if we helped you to choose them! But as our mantra is guidance, and that includes guidance on price, please do use our 'Compare Book Price' service to discover if the best value deal is from Lovereading or another specialist bookstore.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
Sarah Broadhurst's view...
March 2015 Book of the Month.
James, a foot surgeon, saves a child from a peanut allergy and the girl’s grateful mother, a famous opera singer, lends him her chateau in France for a month. Out go James, his wife Flora, their two teenage daughters and boyfriends, James’ elderly father, two of his sisters, Flora’s zany mother and a French boyfriend and Flora’s ex-fiancé, now with one of her sister-in-laws. Chaos. Flora does not cope well but family secrets come out and wounds are healed. This is terrific. The sparks between mother and teenage daughter, the feelings of seeing an old flame and the general family dynamics are incredibly well drawn. Great stuff.
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Maz Tucker - 'Great new book by Catherine Alliott, this book will make you laugh in some places and cry in others.' Read full review >
- Jayne Burton - 'A book to lose yourself in. Wonderful!' Read full review >
- Emily Wright - 'An escapist read capturing the tensions and joie de vivre of an eventful holiday; Catherine Alliott depicts a melting pot of family and friends with light-hearted humour, warts and all.' Read full review >
- Suzanne Marsh - 'France is a holiday of life time. What could be nicer? And what could possibly go wrong?' Read full review >
- Christine Waddington - 'Catherine Alliott held my interest right to the last page with many twists, turns and unpredictable events. I loved this fast-paced novel, and could not wait to pick it up again.' Read full review >
- Helen Treadwell - 'Packed full of well-written characters, all with their own secrets, it is a very entertaining book with a satisfying ending.' Read full review >
- Cathy Small - 'A really enjoyable read with the expected twists that happen when you holiday with your family and your in-laws.' Read full review >
- Isobel - 'Take yourself away to the south side of France. Bliss? Two's company 10 is a crowd...' Read full review >
- Sharon Matthews - 'A summer holiday where secrets will be revealed.' Read full review >
- Joan Sidwell - 'I think it could have been a book with a heart and a story but sadly, for me, there was very little real warmth coming through the pages.' Read full review >
- Jan Kirkcaldy - 'It wasn’t trying to make a statement, there was nothing gratuitous about its content, it was simply a good read about normal people for anyone from teenagers to grannies.' Read full review >
- Candy Hart - 'I must admit that I was a little disappointed with this book, it took me quite a while to get into it, however I did find it quite amusing in places.' Read full review >
- Kath Martin - 'for a few days I was transported to the south of France, with clear blue skies, the buzz of insects...Catherine has produced the perfect escapist novel, just what is needed on a grey winter's day.' Read full review >
- Samantha Lewis - 'I liked the fact that there were a few twists that made it unpredictable. Funny and heart warming, highly recommended.' Read full review >
Wish You Were Here by Catherine Alliott
This is the the new novel from number one bestselling author of thirteen novels, Catherine Alliott. When Flora, James and their two teenage daughters are offered the holiday of a lifetime in a chateau in the South of France in return for one simple good deed, they jump at the chance to escape the confines of Clapham, the weight of the mortgage and anxieties over their future for a blissful break. But Flora didn't anticipate a mysterious guest and a whole heap of family baggage coming along too. And with James developing a schoolboy crush on a famous singer and Flora distracted by ghosts from her past, their dream holiday suddenly takes some very unexpected turns...
'Compulsively readable The Times Hilarious and full of surprises' Daily Telegraph
'The writing is both intelligent and sparkling. Marian Keyes A huge treat. Hilarious yet poignant.' Sophie Kinsella
About the Author
Publication date26th February 2015
More books by Catherine Alliott
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherMichael Joseph Ltd an imprint of Penguin Books Ltd
CategoriesModern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
If you LOVE reading then you will love LOVEREADING! It's a 'novel' idea. Seriously though I could not recommend them enough.Rebecca Whymark
Ever purchased a book, read a few pages & thought I'm not going to enjoy this? Honest book reviews mean you'll never have that problem againJill Peters
Lovereading is like booking a holiday, you don't know what it will be like and it is a whole new experience.Sue Burton
My horizons have been broadened by some of the books I have been lucky to review and I expect it to be no different in the future.Daran Bellingham
I love reading because my cares & woes vanish for an hour or two whilst I read of the joys, adventures, lives of the characters in the book.Jennifer Moville
Lovereading helps me decide what real people read.Kerry Bridges
Love Reading - it not only does what it says on the tin, it does it with Jam on!!Maz Tucker
It's the first site that I visit when deciding on the next set of books to buy. A particular treat is being able to download an extract.Tessa Olson