In Love and War
£14.99 saving £3.00 (20%)
when in stock
As soon as this book is back in stock we will send you an email.Compare book price We'd love you to buy your books from Lovereading - especially if we helped you to choose them! But as our mantra is guidance, and that includes guidance on price, please do use our 'Compare Book Price' service to discover if the best value deal is from Lovereading or another specialist bookstore.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
August 2014 eBook of the Month.
A remarkably captivating book that starts as a slow-burner then sparks into an absolute firecracker of a read. The introduction to Fascism in Florence just before World War Two, when we know life is on the brink of upheaval and collapse, is artfully portrayed by the author. Lazy summer days full of vibrant idealists and English eccentricity is peppered by prejudice, corruption and brutality, deliberately keeping you on edge and apprehensive. As war breaks out, we observe as Esmond the title character is influenced by others, we bear witness as he alters, changes, transforms. The author brings this time, this city, these people, their ideals vividly to life. At times this is an extremely uncomfortable read, however every word, every thought, every emotion feels completely essential. Prepare to sit on the edge of the precipice, prepare for the heartrending plummet of shock and upset, prepare for the impact that a powerful and compelling novel leaves behind. ~ Liz Robinson
The Good Book Guide Review. In 1937, disgraced by a scandalous love affair and sent down from Cambridge, Esmond Lowndes is despatched to Florence to redeem himself; his father, a senior member of the British Union of Fascists, charges him with establishing a B.U.F. wireless station and forging links with Mussolini’s government. But with the coming of war, Esmond questions his allegiance and joins the Resistance, falling in love with a fellow freedom fighter, and always keeping in his sights the despicable head of the Fascist secret police. A stylish compelling story of passion and conflict.
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Jane Brown - 'A fascinating debut book by Alex Preston set in 1930s Florence a this was a great account of fascism, love and war.' Read full review >
- Evelyn Love-Gajardo - 'and by the end I wanted to jump on a plane and go back to Florence, so well does the author describe this beautiful city.' Read full review >
- Michelle Hodson - 'The characters were wonderfully drawn and I was totally immersed in the life of Esmond and Eva.' Read full review >
- Cathy Petersen - 'The young son of a right wing English politician struggles to find his own path in Florence in the early years of the Second World War.' Read full review >
- Stephanie Blakey - 'This is an amazing book and unlike anything I've ever read before...I was moved to tears and both the story and characters stayed with me once the book was finished. ' Read full review >
- Glenda Worth - 'The author puts forward a strong character in Esmond who falls for a fellow antifascist during their fight for justice.' Read full review >
- Helen Lowry - 'A story of love, passion, and history set in Florence before and during the second world war...A good read that I thoroughly recommend.' Read full review >
- Neil Williams - 'A strangely unbalanced novel although the concluding chapters were very enjoyable.' Read full review >
Win tickets to Chiddingstone Castle Lit Fest
We have four pairs of tickets to give away to hear Alison Weir at the Chiddingstone Castle Literary Festival Sunday 30 April 4 - 5 pm. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter. Multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once and the prize cannot be exchanged for cash and does not include transport or accommodation. Draw closes on Friday 17 April. The winners will be chosen randomly from all entrants and will be notified by 20 April 2017.
In Love and War by Alex Preston
Desperate to prove himself to his politician father, Esmond Lowndes is sent to Italy to forge ties between the British Union of Fascists and Mussolini's government. He is also escaping the disgrace of a scandalous love affair. In Florence, he discovers art and passion amongst eccentric expatriates and glamorous locals. But with the coming of war, he leaves his past behind and joins the Florentine resistance. He falls in love with a fellow freedom fighter and together they take on the malevolent Mario Carita, head of the Fascist secret police. Esmond is at the centre of assassination plots, shoot-outs and car chases, culminating in a final mission of extraordinary daring.
About the Author
Publication date3rd July 2014
More books by Alex Preston
Author 'Like for Like'
PublisherFaber & Faber Fiction an imprint of Faber & Faber
CategoriesModern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
Ever purchased a book, read a few pages & thought I'm not going to enjoy this? Honest book reviews mean you'll never have that problem againJill Peters
I love reading because my cares & woes vanish for an hour or two whilst I read of the joys, adventures, lives of the characters in the book.Jennifer Moville
The selections are so varied and the reader reviews are so helpful. A fantastic website for those who love books.Ann Quintilla
Lovereading are lovely people who send me lovely books. What's not to love?Gavin Dimmock
Lovereading is pitched at just the right level for all the various types of people who enjoy reading in its many forms.Pam Woodburn
Because of Lovereading I have broadened my reading horizons with some really great books that I probably would never have chosen myself.Susan Walsh
I read new, exciting writers and established authors before publication and there is a great website full of brilliant books and opinions.Lynda
Books of the month/debuts of the month, kids/adults, fiction/non-fiction, free prize draws and free extracts, what's not to love?Emma Smith