The State of Grace
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
In a Nutshell: Living with Asperger’s * Dealing with change * New beginnings “Being human is a complicated game”, and that’s certainly the case for fifteen-year-old Grace, the sparkling protagonist of this gorgeously heartfelt and often hilarious novel.
Grace is bright and witty, but has Asperger’s and often feels as if she speaks “human as a second language”, though when she’s riding her horse “everything melts away”, and Anna, her adorable best friend, totally has her back, and then there’s the magic of getting together with the “mysterious Gabe”. But an undercurrent of tension between her parents offsets the good times. Her dad’s a wildlife cameraman and works away a lot and, when her mum’s old uni friend turns up, life at home is further disrupted. Change is hard to deal with at the best of times, but it’s intensified tenfold when you’re Grace and “living with all your senses turned up to full volume”.
From the honestly portrayed real-life predicaments of living with Asperger’s and growing up, to the glorious giddiness of Grace’s first romance, this perfectly compact treasure trove of a novel comes highly recommended for fans of character-driven contemporary drama. ~ Joanne Owen
Teens/YA's love to read and so in addition to the review by one of the Lovereading4kids editorial experts some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel members were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Celeste Phelan, age 15 - 'A unique and honest novel taken from the perspective of a girl with Asperger’s - like nothing I’ve read before.'
- Megan Chambers, age 15 - 'This book was absolutely wonderful, I couldn’t put it down...The characters were really well written, and were easy to relate to, making the story very enjoyable.'
- Talia Jacobs, age 15 - 'A lovely, heart-warming easy read...Beautiful plot, loveable characters, and truly a book that shows you exactly what teenage life is like.'
- Sidney Greenslade, age 13 - 'The State of Grace is a moving story about how a girl, who struggles to deal with change, copes when life keeps throwing new and often amusing situations at her.'
- Grace Spear, age 14 - 'This book was beautifully told and gave you an insight into how an autistic person thinks. I felt everything that the characters felt giving a strong connection to the book.'
- Rebekah Marsh, age 14 - 'Truly magnificent. The book portrays the amazing relationship between family and friends and that even if things seem rocky and unfixable, your family will always be by your side to support you.'
- Neha, age 13 - 'The State of Grace is a very relatable novel for teens. The situations presented make you laugh, cry, cringe, and dance along with the main character. I recommend this book to any teenage girl!'
- Emily Price, age 14 - 'A very unique novel with a touch of romance. I highly recommend this book and really enjoyed it!'
- Humaira, age 18 - 'sweet and heart-warming, sad but empowering. There needs to be more books like this. I highly recommend this book.'
- Edel Waugh - 'This was an awesome story with a delightful and inspirational main character. I would recommend this book to everyone.'
- Jodi Coffman, age 15 - 'The State of Grace was a really funny and honest book and I couldn’t put it down.'
The State of Grace by Rachael Lucas
Sometimes I feel like everyone else was handed a copy of the rules for life and mine got lost.
Grace has Asperger's and her own way of looking at the world. She's got her best friend Anna and a horse who understand her, and that's pretty much all she needs. But when Grace kisses Gabe and things start to go wrong at home, the world doesn't make much sense to her any more. Suddenly everything threatens to fall apart, and it's up to Grace to fix it on her own. Whip-smart, hilarious and unapologetically honest, The State of Grace by Rachael Lucasis a heart-warming story of one girl and her totally normal teenage life.
This brilliant coming of age novel for young adults is set to become a classic. AGA Magazine
This is truly an important read for anyone who has Asperger's, knows someone who has Asperger's or simply wants to see what it's like. https://myfurrybookshelf.wordpress.com/2017/03/04/review-the-state-of-grace-rachael-lucas/
About the Author
Publication date6th April 2017
More books by Rachael Lucas
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherMacmillan Children's Books an imprint of Pan Macmillan
Interest Age: From 12
CategoriesFamily & home stories (Children's / Teenage)
If you LOVE reading then you will love LOVEREADING! It's a 'novel' idea. Seriously though I could not recommend them enough.Rebecca Whymark
They are bright, breezy and eager to offer a great book, then genuinely listen/respect the review one writes.Maggie Crane
With literary excellence, humour and drama, Lovereading's got value and is a real stress-calmer!Siobhan McDowell
My horizons have been broadened by some of the books I have been lucky to review and I expect it to be no different in the future.Daran Bellingham
I love Lovereading because I get to read great books and then get to tell everybody how good they are.Sally Doel
Lovereading is a wonderful way to expand my literary horizons, discover inspiring authors & get the chance to read new novels first. #loveitZarina de Ruiter
Lovereading - a community of people passionate about reading and sharing their views. An incomparable website for book lovers.Helen Clark
Why I love @lovereadinguk? It's in the name - as dedicated lovers of reading, they are perfect matchmakers for helping me find my next read!Catherine Jenkins