My Italian Bulldozer
£14.99 saving £3.00 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
One of our Books of the Year 2016.
June 2016 Book of the Month.
A fabulously quirky, ‘standalone’ romance-cum-farce from this feel-good author. Abandoned by his long-time girlfriend, travel writer Paul goes to Tuscany to research his next book. Arrangements are made but upon arrival no car is available. Enter one bulldozer, a wacky scenario which results in some charming pieces. Paul enters village life and that atmosphere is vividly and warmly described. Attempting to rescue an American ‘damsel in distress’ he falls instantly in love. Then long-time girlfriend turns up and life gets complicated. Full of joy and wellbeing, of sunshine and wine this affectionate, gently tale, a love triangle, or possibly a love square as more women seem to enter Paul’s life, is a sheer delight from start to finish. Highly recommended. ~ Sarah Broadhurst
A 'Piece of Passion' from the publisher...
'Alexander McCall Smith is fantastic at writing about Italy: its food & wine, its music, the history, the landscape and la bella figura. Onto this beautiful canvas he’s introduced una macchina colossale– a bulldozer.
Only McCall Smith has the literary dexterity to pull this off. Funny, elegant and moving – occasionally earth-moving – this book is a joy; you’ll be swept away, literally.' ~ Neville Moir, Publishing Director, Polygon
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Rachel Aygin - 'Alexander McCall Smith’s effortless writing style is a pleasure to read. His books are full of wonderful, quirky and believable characters and this one is no exception.'
- Angie Rhodes - 'With the fantastic descriptions of Tuscany, the sights, sounds and people, Alexander McCall Smith manages to whisk you away on this amazing journey along with Paul from the comfort of your own armchair. Just perfect!!'
- Suzanne Marsh - 'The balance of this book with Contemporary/crime and laugh out loud moments has everything a reader can possible want. I highly recommend buying and reading book.'
- Ann Alderton - 'Written with gentle charm and wit, the story of Paul Stuart, a food writer who escapes to the Tuscan hills to finish his latest book, is a feel-good read which is both compelling and engaging.'
- Beverley Davenport - 'Some wonderful insights into the food, wine, landscape and culture of Tuscany add to this deliciously fun read.'
- Rachael Anderson - 'An easy, amusing standalone novel.'
- Jacqueline Passfield - 'An amusing and entertaining romp around the Italian countryside - a delightful holiday read.'
- Wendy Stubbs - 'A writer, a bulldozer and the Italian countryside, all add up to make an immensely enjoyable light hearted read. A slow but eventful journey through Italy, makes a fab read.'
- Edel Waugh - 'This was a delightful story about the ups and downs of love, the power of a fresh start and the delightful people and scenery of the Italian countryside told with plenty of humour.'
- Alison Bisping - 'I loved it from the moment I started until the moment it ended...Enjoy it and be prepared to fall in love with Italy - if you don't already.'
- Manisha - 'I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is well written and has some funny bits which make it an easy and relaxing read.'
- Sarah Tilley - 'A delightful read - perfect for this year's summer holiday especially if you are having your own Italian adventure.'
- Mary Chapman - 'I am a lover of Alexander McCall Smith and have read so many of his books and loved them all but know this book is not going to join the list.'
- Julie Collins - 'An interesting read, sometimes funny, sometimes sad. The characters are a strange mix but each brings something different to the story. Surprising subject matter but it works.'
- Phylippa Smithson - 'Read this and am confused. Is it a cookery-wine review book, Tuscan tourist guide, reflection on Italians and their culture, or a love story? Still don’t know the answer.'
My Italian Bulldozer by Alexander McCall Smith
When writer Paul Stewart heads to the idyllic Italian town of Montalcino to finish his already late book, it seems like the perfect escape from stressful city life. Upon landing, however, things quickly take a turn for the worse when he discovers his hired car is nowhere to be found. With no record of any reservation and no other cars available it looks like Paul is stuck at the airport. That is, until an enterprising stranger offers him an unexpected alternative. While there may be no cars available there is something else on offer: a bulldozer.
With little choice in the matter, Paul accepts and so begins a series of laugh out loud adventures through the Italian countryside, following in the wake of Paul and his Italian Bulldozer. A story of unexpected circumstance and lesson in making the best of what you have, My Italian Bulldozer is a warm holiday read guaranteed to put a smile on your face.
Reviews'Full of joy and wellbeing, of sunshine and wine this affectionate, gently tale, a love triangle, or possibly a love square as more women seem to enter Paul's life, is a sheer delight from start to finish. Highly recommended' - Lovereading; 'With a title like My Italian Bulldozer, you just know that people will pick it up to see what the heck it's all about. [One thing is] the idea of human warmth which is always at the heart of Sandy's writing' - Janice Forsyth, BBC Radio Scotland; 'This was a delightful story about the ups and downs of love, the power of a fresh start and the delightful people and scenery of the Italian countryside told with plenty of humour' - 5 stars, Edel, goodreads.com; 'Charming and funny, this novel follows the adventures of food writer Paul Stuart as he escapes to Tuscany to get over a failed relationship and writer's block. Most of the comedy comes from Paul's naivety and suggestibility that get him into slightly surreal situations - a modern day Don Quixote. The story's other characters also charm and beguile, leaving the reader seeking more tales from McCall Smith's Tuscan idyll' - Tredaran, goodreads.com; 'Once again Alexander McCall Smith has managed to enchant, and whisk away the reader' - 5 stars, Angie Rhodes,goodreads.com; 'Quirkily standalone, with the usual lovely written cadence we want from McCall Smith' - 5 stars, Margaret Bryant, www.goodreads.com; 'There are all the things I love about AMS's stories in this book, with extreme silliness described in the most gentle, believable way. ...His characters are diverse, thought-provoking and entertaining, and his descriptions of the small village of Montalcino and the surrounding countryside left me wanting to plan a holiday to Italy. ... another delight to sink into an armchair with' - Ruth Ng, www.thebookbag.co.uk'
About the Author
Publication date19th May 2016
AuthorAlexander McCall Smith
More books by Alexander McCall Smith
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherPolygon An Imprint of Birlinn Limited an imprint of Birlinn General
CategoriesCrime & mystery
I love that Lovereading handpicks very special debut reads.Magda North
If you LOVE reading then you will love LOVEREADING! It's a 'novel' idea. Seriously though I could not recommend them enough.Rebecca Whymark
Lovereading is an amazing place to be, the website is wonderful and to me if I'm sad I'll go here and it cheers me up!Sophia Upton
Lovereading is not only an amazing site, but it's one of my very favourites. It's like visiting a fascinating bookstore, but better.Rebecca Jayne Barrett
What can I say, the clue is in the title Lovereading - and awesome books.Sarah Davis
With literary excellence, humour and drama, Lovereading's got value and is a real stress-calmer!Siobhan McDowell
Why I love @lovereadinguk? It's in the name - as dedicated lovers of reading, they are perfect matchmakers for helping me find my next read!Catherine Jenkins
It is a website dedicated to those who adore reading It really is a one stop shop for book lovers. Love it!Edel Waugh