When She Was Bad
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
A happy relaxed team in a recruitment office have a rude awakening when a new head of department is employed to improved their profitability. She certainly shakes them up, setting one against another, playing ruthless games and manipulating them mercilessly. She is a tyrant of the first order. In alternating chapters we get an American psychiatrist’s involvement with a dreadful case of child abuse and are left wondering how this all ties in and who in the tangled office might be that child grown up. Hypnotic, at times harrowing and frightening this is a compulsive read. Office life is beautifully portrayed and the dysfunctional family’s case drip fed to us in mounting horror. It is very good. ~ Sarah Broadhurst
A 'Piece of Passion' from the Publisher
'This is Tammy Cohen’s fourth novel of psychological suspense and it is absolutely her best. If you think your workplace politics are bad, just step into the toxic atmosphere of previously friendly colleagues who are appointed a new boss, Rachel, who is setting them up to hate each other. It is narrated by the different people in the work place (a recruitment office). Their stories alternate with one voice from the past, Anne - a psychiatrist who is advising on a horrific case of child abuse. Anne is convinced this abused child, now in the hands of carers, may one day kill, but the male psychiatrist working on the case believes the child is safe for rehabilitation into the community. It is his advice that is followed. In the present day workplace, we the reader must guess which of the workmates is the young child, now grown up and in custody for murder of Rachel the nasty boss.
This edge-of-your-seat chiller is filled with people we feel we might know. It’s a recommended read for all those GIRL ON THE TRAIN fans.' ~ Jane Lawson, Editorial Director, Doubleday Transworld Publishers
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Alexandra Harper-Williams - 'Fantastic thriller, incredibly hard to put down before you get to the very last page! Well worth staying up late for, a must-read for thriller fans.'
- Janet Gilliard - 'I wanted to find out what happened but I also didn't want the book to end.'
- Doreen McKeown - 'This is a truly good book, very well written and constructed.... All in all, I loved this book and was enormously impressed by it. Well done Tammy Cohen.'
- Jane Nicol - 'A great psychological thriller which I couldn't put down, highly recommended.'
- Phylippa Smithson - 'Took a while to ‘get there’ but well worth the wait in this most unique suspense thriller.'
- Debbie Patrick - 'Well recommended...It didn’t disappoint. Each chapter is told from a different person’s point of view. It’s so well written & keeps the suspense up until practically the end.'
- Nicola Smith - 'A truly thrilling psychological thriller.'
- Carol Peace - 'A great read and I found myself totally absorbed right until the very end and then some.'
- Edel Waugh - 'This book gives us tiny glimpses about the past but it does not give up its secrets until the heart stopping last page.'
- Amanda Keeling - 'A tense and nail biting story which had me gripped right to the very end...An absolute gem of a book.'
- Karen - 'A twisty, compelling and addictive psychological thriller that will make you look at your work colleagues in a different way!'
- Victoria Goldman - 'When She Was Bad kept me guessing from start to finish. It's a dark and creepy page-turner that will leave you reeling and make your spine tingle.'
- Chris Bertenshaw - 'Excellent psychological thriller about a murder that leaves you guessing who the murderer and victim are until the end.'
- Judith Sharp - 'This book brought back to me why I am so happy now that I have retired...Very cleverly plotted, it keeps you guessing to the bitter end.'
- Hannah Smith - 'A book that demands your attention and demands to be read - I found myself completely unable to put it down. A wonderful and gripping psychological thriller that had me on the edge of my seat!'
- Alison Bisping - 'A brilliant read! It took me a while to get into the book, but when I did, I couldn't put it down.'
- Julie Evans - 'this book takes you on a journey which will have you guessing until the very end! I actually felt the emotions of some of the characters throughout the book. Highly recommended.'
When She Was Bad by Tammy Cohen
You see them every day. You know how your colleagues like their coffee. You know who breaks the copier and doesn't fix it. And who kissed who at the Christmas party. But what can't you see? Who secretly hates you? Who is quietly having a mental breakdown? Who is capable of murder?
Browse inside this book
'A fresh, clever psychological thriller full of toxic characters you'll love to hate.' CLARE MACKINTOSH
'Takes the ordinary and twists it until the sense of danger is utterly overwhelming. Tammy Cohen is rapidly becoming one of my favourite authors' EMMA KAVANAGH
'A compelling tale of office politics and childhood trauma, that slices through the insecurities, jealousies and hidden agendas of the work place. Skilfully written with Cohen's trademark piercing observation and vivid imagination, this book will have you nervously watching your colleagues wondering what lies beneath their masks. With twists and turns and expertly ratcheted tension, it had me gripped from the off.' AMANDA JENNINGS
About the Author
Publication date21st April 2016
More books by Tammy Cohen
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherBlack Swan an imprint of Transworld Publishers Ltd
CategoriesCrime & mystery
Thriller / suspense
Lovereading helps me decide what real people read.Kerry Bridges
Discover new authors and enjoy old favourites; oodles of literary gems to uncover at Lovereading with candid reviews from real reviewers.Emily Wright
I love reading because my cares & woes vanish for an hour or two whilst I read of the joys, adventures, lives of the characters in the book.Jennifer Moville
If you love reading, then you'll love Lovereading! Full of tips & info for every discerning reader.Lynne Rapson
Lovereading is an amazing place to be, the website is wonderful and to me if I'm sad I'll go here and it cheers me up!Sophia Upton
At Lovereading there are fabulous books available in every genre, with great reviews to help you pick the right book for you.Teresa O'Halloran
Lovereading are lovely people who send me lovely books. What's not to love?Gavin Dimmock
A well laid out site, I love the fact that is separates paranormal fiction from fantasy and horror, which other sites don't.Jen Rainbow