I Found You
£12.99 saving £2.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
One of our Books of the Year 2016.
August 2016 Book of the Month.
A tale of lost memories and hidden secrets but will the truth destroy or heal? Lisa Jewell returns with yet another page-turner as she delves into the darker corners of the mind where the memories of our true self exist. The memories that we'll do anything to keep hidden.
Alice Lake is drawn to a man she spots sitting on the beach. He simply stares out to sea oblivious of the rain, a man who remembers nothing of who he is or where he came from. Alice offers him shelter and the opportunity to attempt to rediscover what or who he is running away from. But something sinister is lurking in his memory and as the past begins to come back to him he wonders if he is running away from a monster or if indeed the monster is actually him.
This gripping read is not only a thrilling mystery but is also about accepting the past and learning to find a way to move on. Jewell keeps you guessing what the connections between threads and subtexts are until they all come gloriously together. A wonderful novel to escape in to. ~ Shelley Fallows
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Linda Hill - 'An exciting novel that grips from the opening line. For those who like a feeling of humanity with their thrillers, I think Lisa Jewell's I Found You is a perfect read.'
- Celia Cohen - 'A page-turner of a book combining elements of mystery, romance and horror. I loved this book, couldn't put it down.'
- Glenda Worth - 'As the book draws you in various possibilities come to mind and I found I just wanted to know the outcome and had to keep on reading til the end!'
- Phylippa Smithson -'It is also to the author’s credit that it flows to such an extent that I finished it in 24 hours. Perfect for a holiday read.'
- Sue Burton - 'Great story line and a thoroughly page turning read. This book and the characters had me hooked from page one.'
- Jo-anne Atkinson - 'Lisa Jewell knows her market and will not disappoint them.'
- Nicola Kingswell - 'I really enjoyed this novel. A real page turner, quite dark and gritty at times, but ultimately uplifting.'
- Joy Finlayson - 'I was only disappointed that I needed to break up my reading with a night’s sleep! Combining backstory, present day action and multiple perspectives, she has created a story that will immediately draw you in.'
- Cheryl Kinney - 'Interesting & gripping read. I have read a number of Lisa Jewell's books and have really enjoyed them, especially her more recent books that have a darker more thriller aspect to them.'
- Joy Bosworth - 'I’d not read Lisa Jewel before – but I certainly will again. I loved every bit of it and strongly objected to real life making me leave off reading!'
- Humaira - 'I literally couldn't put this book down for the life of me, even when I had so much to do; I Found You basically put my life on hold.'
- Shriya Khambhaita - I really liked the plot for Alice and Lily because they both seemed like realistic characters. My first novel by Lisa Jewell. I will be reading more of her work.
- Genevieve McAllister - 'All families are dysfunctional to some degree: Lisa Jewell writes about them with consideration and understanding.'
- Victoria Emerson - 'I absolutely loved this book.'
- Emily Curnow - 'I loved this book and sped through it like a steam train on a mission.'
- Tanya Thurling- 'The book flits back and forth between past and present, building up a story that will have you guessing and second guessing.'
- Angie Rhodes - 'Just when you think Lisa Jewell's last book was the best she has written she comes along merrily to blow that assumption clear out of the water. Once again, Lisa has come along with a book to keep you awake at night!'
- Evelyn Love-Gajardo - 'This was a real page turner - I couldn't put it down.'
- Emily Wright - 'Lisa Jewell’s evocative storytelling interweaves romance and intrigue with long buried secrets, creating a glorious treat of a read which pulled me along in its slipstream.'
- Edel Waugh - 'This was a great story and mystery - I read it all in one sitting.'
- Becca Jayne - ‘definitely one of Lisa’s best novels and I can’t recommend it highly enough to anyone who’s looking for a unique mystery with family and betrayal elements.'
I Found You by Lisa Jewell
'How long have you been sitting out here?' 'I got here yesterday.' 'Where did you come from?' 'I have no idea.' East Yorkshire: Single mum Alice Lake finds a man on the beach outside her house. He has no name, no jacket, no idea what he is doing there. Against her better judgement she invites him in to her home. Surrey: Twenty-one-year-old Lily Monrose has only been married for three weeks. When her new husband fails to come home from work one night she is left stranded in a new country where she knows no one. Then the police tell her that her husband never existed. Two women, twenty years of secrets and a man who can't remember lie at the heart of Lisa Jewell's brilliant new novel.
ReviewsLisa Jewell just keeps getting better. I thought nothing could top The Girls, then along came I Found You. Three separate strands, three very different characters with one dark mystery at its core. With another writer, I would be trying to solve the mystery by chapter two, but Lisa's books are so deliciously immersive, like a warm scented bath, you don't want to jump ahead to find out what happened, preferring to lie back and let the story wash over you. The plot of I Found You is gripping and compelling but, as always with Lisa. it's the characters that drive the book. With the possible exception of Anne Tyler, I can't think of another writer who so gets to the heart of what it is to be human, in all humanity's flawed decency. I Found You is a wise, compassionate, gripping tale by a storyteller who totally gets people - acting well and acting badly, but mostly muddling through trying our best. -- Tamar Cohen I Found You is exciting, entertaining and a crackingly good read ... Lisa Jewell knows exactly how to drip feed information that compels the reader to want to read more and more and I found myself unable to put the book down ... A perfect read. This is the first time I've read one of [Lisa's] books but it certainly won't be the last. Linda's Book Bag Lisa Jewell is one of Britain's best-selling writers - and reading her novel, it's not hard to see why ... packed with more twists, and genuine sadness, than anybody could possibly expect. Reader's Digest Magnetic characters, a fast-paced plot and a 30-year-old mystery make I Found You, the gripping new book by Lisa Jewell, a must-read. Good Housekeeping Lisa Jewell's storytelling is so emotionally truthful, it's impossible not to become involved in the loves of her characters ...Part whodunit, part thriller and part romance, this novel will keep you enthralled. Psychologies
About the Author
Publication date14th July 2016
More books by Lisa Jewell
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherCentury an imprint of Cornerstone
CategoriesModern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
Because of Lovereading I have broadened my reading horizons with some really great books that I probably would never have chosen myself.Susan Walsh
I love Lovereading because of its ability to connect people that love books & unite them in a friendly, stimulating & interesting community.Megan Olwen William
Discover new authors and enjoy old favourites; oodles of literary gems to uncover at Lovereading with candid reviews from real reviewers.Emily Wright
Lovereading takes the guesswork out of finding your next read with "if you like you'll love" and extracts to help with your decision.Sarah Bruch
Insightful reader reviews and unbiased recommendations. I don't know how I chose books before Lovereading! An essential for all book lovers.Sarah Harper
I love reading books I wouldn't normally choose before everyone else gets to read them!Dawn Lynch
Lovereading does a stella job in promoting both new and established authors.Iris Clements
Books of the month/debuts of the month, kids/adults, fiction/non-fiction, free prize draws and free extracts, what's not to love?Emma Smith