£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
A crazy New York romance, not that the city matters for this is about getting out of a rut and embracing the new, however terrifying. It is very charming, it is also Meg Rosoff’s first adult novel and very suitable for the ‘nearly grown-up’ too. Light, humorous, predictable and short, it’s a great curl-up, warm read. Jonathan’s brother is off to Dubai for six months and leaves his collie and spaniel for Jonathan to look after in his tiny New York apartment. These are well trained, highly intelligent and lovable creatures who seem to know Jonathan better than he knows himself and eventually take his wellbeing into their control. Then Jonathan realises that nothing will happen in his life unless he gets off his arse and does something to make it happen. Consequently the last quarter of the book is pure farce. Great fun. ~ Sarah Broadhurst
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Emily Wright - 'Jonathan Unleashed is a delightfully quirky read, by turns poignant, comic and insightful. Just like Dante and Sissy, our canine protagonists, there is much more to this book than first meets the eye.'
- Angela Rhodes - 'A tender, wonderful book, and one that will have you smiling and telling your friends to read.'
- Phylippa Smithson - 'I giggled my way through this most engaging story of a man struggling to believe he is a grown up and yearning for the simplicity of his childhood.'
- Sandra Rabiasz - 'This is a perfect gem of a book, so engaging and thoroughly enjoyable.'
- Val Rowe - 'I laughed. I cried...An unexpected treasure of a book!'
- Sarah Harper - 'This lovely, gently meandering book will leave you quietly smiling to yourself, not to mention desperately wanting a companion like Sissy or Dante if you don’t already have the equivalent by your side.'
- Kathryn Whitfield - 'Hilarious romantic comedy you will love and won't be able to put down.'
- Vicky-Leigh Sayer - 'Jonathan unleashed is a novel full of some wonderful quirky characters, and is a great quick read. Perfect for this chilly winter nights where you need a little warmth...'
- Nicola Kingswell - 'Laugh out loud in places. Meg Rosoff's prose is a delight to read, and I have to admit to wanting a Dante and Sissy in my life, just to sort things out!'
- Edel Waugh - 'It's a very touching book, I had a lump in my throat reading parts of this...This book had it all, relationships, love, and finding your way in life.'
- Humaira - 'Meg Rosoff never seems to fail a good book. I love her writing and her style- I love everything about her writing.'
Win a fabulous signed copy of A Secret Garden by Katie Fforde!
To celebrate the publication of A Secret Garden by Katie Fforde, we have signed copies of the book to give away to 3 lucky winners. To have a chance of winning one of these wonderful prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter. Draw closes on 28th February 2017. The winners will be chosen randomly from all entrants and will be notified by 14th March 2017.
Jonathan Unleashed by Meg Rosoff
Jonathan Trefoil's boss is unhinged, his relationship baffling and his apartment just the wrong side of legal. His girlfriend wants to marry someone just like him - only richer and more organised with a different sense of humour. At least his two flatmates understand him - but they only speak dog. Poor Jonathan. The world wasn't this confusing back in the good old days before everyone expected him to act like a person. But one thing's for sure: if he can make it in New York City, he can make it anywhere. Will he get out of advertising, meet the girl of his dreams and figure out the meaning of life?
'Rosoff has a lightness of touch and is a clever comic writer: her dialogue is sharp, her characters keenly observed and ruthlessly well realised. She is a talented farceur, too, and there are some superb set pieces.' Patricia Nicol, The Sunday Times
'A screwball treat about two dogs and their owner, set in New York' Sunday Times, Must Read
'Hilarious, thoughtful, touching' Daily Mail
'Surreal, charming and very, very funny' Daily Express
'Like Ephron, Rosoff has a lightness of touch, and is also a clever comic writer: her dialogue is sharp, her characters keenly observed and ruthlessly well realised' Sunday Times
'A loveable novel that has the power to make readers of all ages laugh' The Times
'Fizzes with memorable one-liners .. . I can't think of many recent novels that show the same almost Joseph Heller-like ability to express abiding pessimism with such irresistible comic zest' Daily Telegraph
'Wonderfully romantic as well as brilliantly satirical ... An absolute delight from start to finish' -- Wendy Holden, Daily Mail
'Very smart and extremely funny' Observer
'An absolute delight ... Set in a New York that has all the charm of a Nora Ephron screenplay' -- Sarra Manning, Red
'A brilliant take on finding love in New York Stylist Both involving and moving ... Witty, sardonic, thoroughly enjoyable' -- Philip Womack, Spectator
'Brave and bolshy, impossible to predict or to pigeonhole' Guardian
'Brilliantly witty, refreshingly original and laugh-out-loud hilarious, this book really is a must-read' Heat
'Every sentence is crafted and weighted with beauty but it's the intelligence and shaping sensibility with which the story is told that make it something special' Sunday Times
'Jonathan Unleashed marks a swerve into novels for grown-ups, but her idiosyncratic story-telling chutzpah remains constant ... This shaggy dog story is told with such vibrant and subversive wit ... Also a brilliantly detailed snapshot of - to tweak the title of one of her finest novels - how we live now' -- Benjamin Evans Independent on Sunday
About the Author
Publication date9th February 2017
More books by Meg Rosoff
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
CategoriesModern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
At Lovereading there are fabulous books available in every genre, with great reviews to help you pick the right book for you.Teresa O'Halloran
Their sending me my first book to review 18 months ago re-awakened my fondness for reading, since then I have purchased some real gems.Barry Griffiths
Lovereading is a wonderful way to expand my literary horizons, discover inspiring authors & get the chance to read new novels first. #loveitZarina de Ruiter
Insightful reader reviews and unbiased recommendations. I don't know how I chose books before Lovereading! An essential for all book lovers.Sarah Harper
My horizons have been broadened by some of the books I have been lucky to review and I expect it to be no different in the future.Daran Bellingham
For me, to read is to learn, to reflect, to escape, to think, to contemplate and my time for space and calm.Sally Ellsmore
As for why I'd recommend Lovereading, it's simple - it's a great place to get information and reviews about new books!Margaret Freeman
I love the newsletter with reviews of all the new books coming out. Can't wait to open it when it arrives in my inbox.Rachel Aygin