Quieter Than KillingD.I. Marnie Rome Series
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
March 2017 eBook of the Month.
Another fabulous addition to the mind-blowingly good ‘D.I. Marnie Rome’ series. Marnie and Noah find themselves slap in the middle of the deeds of a deviously twisted mind. Pain and suffering slyly join hands as the past haunts the present. Sarah Hilary’s crime series is one of my favourites, I have stalked and hunted down the publication dates since I read her award winning debut novel, ‘Someone Else’s Skin’. So my expectations were high, and I can say with absolute conviction that ‘Quieter Than Killing’ more than delivers. I forgot I was meant to be reviewing, and just read. The words wormed their way inside my mind, creating uncomfortable spaces. At times there were parts that almost physically hurt, yet I couldn’t stop reading. This is cracking, tension-filled, compelling writing, and my mind is still chitter chattering to itself as I think back over the story. So, do I recommend ‘Quieter Than Killing’, yes, yes, yes, of course I do! ~ Liz Robinson
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read the full reviews.
- Phylippa Smithson - 'This is a ‘full on’ thriller with twists and turns before everything comes together making Sarah Hilary one of the most compulsive story teller around.'
- Sue Burton - 'Brilliant book, cannot wait for the next instalment of Marnie and Noah.'
- Krissy Rix-Clancy - 'Fantastic fast paced read - well written with lots going on.'
- Joan Hill - 'Secrets, lies and damage from the past are avenged and vulnerability preyed upon by a criminal mastermind in an odious game of cat and mouse in this crime-filled novel.'
- Rachel Aygin - 'Sarah Hilary's fourth novel featuring DI Marnie Rome is just as gripping as the previous books. I was kept guessing right to the end.'
- Lynda DeFreitas - 'Sarah Hilary's stories are pacey and well thought out...I thoroughly recommend all of Sarah Hilary's books and this one in particular is not to be missed.'
- Megan Abbott - 'Breathtakingly addictive! I could not put it down.'
- Tanya Thurling - 'It truly kept me guessing. Definitely fast paced and edgy which is a plus for me with crime thrillers. All in all a read I would recommend.'
- Caroline Harvey - 'this author is moving from strength to strength and getting better with every outing.'
- Jillian McFrederick - 'This is the first of Sarah Hilary’s books that I have read and I am inspired to go back to the earlier ones to find out more of the main characters.'
- Ann Alderton - 'This is an accomplished police procedural with a compelling storyline which eloquently portrays the brutality of inner city estate life.'
- Katherine Stewart - 'Intriguing plot, but not quite up there with the previous Marnie Rome books.'
- Les Wood - 'A really good read that keeps you guessing as to how characters are inextricably linked and which you should believe and trust.'
- Beth Kemp - 'Sharp and pacy crime writing, featuring a strongly contemporary UK context and a high level of emotional engagement. The characterisation is a key strength, making this a compelling series.'
Quieter Than Killing by Sarah Hilary
Sarah Hilary, winner of the Theakstons Crime Novel of the Year, returns with a new DI Marnie Rome novel, QUIETER THAN KILLING. For fans of Val McDermid, Alex Marwood and Claire Mackintosh 'Hilary is my drop-everything writer; always original, always bang-on psychologically, always gripping. I am a huge fan' Alex Marwood 'Tremendous' Ian Rankin It's winter, the nights are dark and freezing, and a series of seemingly random assaults is pulling DI Marnie Rome and DS Noah Jake out onto streets of London. When Marnie's family home is ransacked, there are signs that the burglary can have only been committed by someone who knows her. Then a child goes missing, yet no-one has reported it. Suddenly, events seem connected, and it's personal. Someone out there is playing games. It is time for both Marnie and Noah to face the truth about the creeping, chilling reaches of a troubled upbringing. Keeping quiet can be a means of survival, but the effects can be as terrible as killing.
'Hilary is my drop-everything writer; always original, always bang-on psychologically, always gripping. I am a huge fan' -- Alex Marwood
'Descriptively chilling, completely addictive and with a set of characters and storylines that just dig deep into your subconscious and stay there. Sarah Hilary, with the Marnie Rome series, is without doubt one of the top UK crime writers working today' Lizlovesbooks
'It's dark, it's brilliant, and it tightens like a noose. Sarah Hilary is downright dangerous.' -- Mick Herron
'Another tense and chilling book by one of my favourite authors. I was up way past my bedtime devouring each page' -- Tracy Fenton, Founder of THE Book Club and www.compulsivereaders.com
'A compelling read, emotionally intense and intelligent. I love her fierce, flawed characters' -- Cath Staincliffe
'As tense, twisty, tremendous as ever, Sarah Hilary's QUIETER THAN KILLING nails it' -- Angela Clarke
'Hilary's writing is as precise and deadly as a fine blade. Quieter Than Killing is by turns terrifying and tender, with a twisty, gripping plot where no good deed goes unpunished. This is a fine addition to a superb series' -- Jane Casey
'Sarah Hilary writes beautifully and unflinchingly; a dark, disturbing and thought-provoking chiller of a thriller' -- Peter James
About the Author
Mac OS X
|Windows, Mac, device compatible. Bookmarks, single or double page view. Zoom in on pages.|
Mac OS X
|EPub is an open-source e-book format readable by amost all devices.|
|Can be used on any PC or mobile device. Includes bookmarks, table of contents, and more.|
|ClearType Display Technology, book-like reading environment, bookmarks and annotations.|
Mac OS X
|Can be used on many popular mobile devices. Includes bookmarks, table of contents, and more.|
Publication date9th March 2017
More books by Sarah Hilary
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherHeadline Book Publishing an imprint of Headline Publishing Group