Why I Went Back
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
In a tradition of stories going right back to Beowulf, referenced in the book, this is a tale of stolen treasure, trickery and courage. Aidan is struggling to keep things together at home: his mother has been sectioned and his father seems almost paralysed with despair. It falls to Aidan to deliver the sacks of mail his postman father is hiding in their garden shed. So when thieves steal his bike Aidan has to go after them. It’s here that magic – old magic – intrudes into the contemporary setting. There are no portals suddenly opening, it’s not the sort of magic to bring special powers; hard to define, harder to pin down – ‘a sort of stillness that moved’ says Aidan – human lives are of no consequence to it and if Aidan emerges a hero it’s due to his own strengths. Gripping, compulsive reading, an exceptional book.
Authors Sara Crowe (Bone Jack), Rupert Wallis (All Sorts of Possible) and Natasha Carthew (The Light that Gets Lost) all understand old magic and have written similarly powerful and enthralling stories. ~ Andrea Reece
Teens and YA's love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Edel Waugh - 'If you like a feel good story about friendship, family and hope then this is the story for you.'
- Celeste Phelan, age 14 - 'An intriguing novel spiked with magic originating from a wonderful classic.'
- Sidney Greenslade, age 12 - 'A touching and mysterious tale with a tear-jerker ending.'
- Saffron Ayara-Ekpe, age 12 - 'I loved this book because it had a really good story line, with good characters. Aidan didn't really seem like the person who would go out on adventures like he did. I would definitely recommend it.'
- Eloise Mae Clarkson, age 13 - 'I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would rate it five out of five stars.'
- Sophia Ufton, YA - 'This was an amazing story, I really enjoyed it!'
- Kyra, age 17 - 'Why I Went Back has complex characters and delectable writing that you'll fall in love with! Fragments of fantasy and reality collide to bring this original tale of hope and freedom.'
- Sarah-Jane Ryan - 'One night, a couple of thugs steal Aidan’s bike which he desperately needs to Keep Things Together. Aidan’s life is a mess and this is the story of how he got it back on track.'
- Collette Kerfoot age, 12-Thomas Cowley School - 'Why I Went Back is an enjoyable book about a lot of stolen mail and about a stolen bike...I would definitely recommend this book to others.'
Why I Went Back by James Clammer
Aidan needs his bike to deliver all the mail his postman dad's been hoarding since his mum was sectioned. But his bike's just been stolen. In the early morning, Aidan chases after the thieves, hellbent on getting it back. When he reaches the abandoned factory where they've stashed his bike, he has moments to grab it and escape. But he finds more than just stolen goods. There's a mysterious prisoner chained to the floor. This is the story of why Aidan goes back. Recalling Alan Garner and Susan Cooper, Why I Went Back is a dark tale of magic, myth and undelivered mail.
Gripping... A must read for all lovers of slightly fantastical urban fiction. Jonas Herriot, librarian and chair, London's Youth Libraries Group
Authentic and complex... Why I Went Back has fragments of fantasy and reality collide to bring this original tale of hope and freedom. Blog of a Bookaholic
About the Author
Publication date7th April 2016
More books by James Clammer
Author 'Like for Like'
PublisherAndersen Press Ltd
Interest Age: From 12
CategoriesFantasy & magical realism (Children's / Teenage)
Family & home stories (Children's / Teenage)
Personal & social issues: divorce, separation, family break-up (Children's / Teenage)
Thanks to Lovereading I have discovered new writers and read books I would never had looked twice at - and enjoyed them.Angela Rhodes
Lovereading is a world of books. It has everything you need from new to old and much loved classic books. It even give you recommendations!Kate Thurston
I recommend Lovereading because you get honest reviews on a whole range of genres-there's something for everyone. It's the only site I need.Sian Spinney
Lovereading has given me the opportunity to delve into new and exciting worlds of authors who I would never have tried before.Glynis Elliott
Love Reading - it not only does what it says on the tin, it does it with Jam on!!Maz Tucker
My favourite thing about is the 'like for like' page this has really introduced me to some good reads! That and lots of honest reviews.Sam Lewis
At Lovereading there are fabulous books available in every genre, with great reviews to help you pick the right book for you.Teresa O'Halloran
A great place to go to find your next literary escape, and where you don't have to judge a book by its cover!Suzanne Beney