Girl Alone Joss Came Home from School to Discover Her Father's Suicide. Angry and Hurting, She's Out of Control.
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
This is an achingly sad yet compelling tale, Cathy Glass, foster mother to over 150 children over 25 years, has written a number of books under a pseudonym. Not only does she reveal a heartbreaking story in ‘Girl Alone’, she also gives an insight into the thoughts and feelings of everyone involved in the fostering process. The clear, simple style, highlights the agony and devastating consequences of a child spiralling out of control. Joss is one one of the author’s most challenging foster children, 13 years old, drinking, taking drugs, associating with adult men and determined to have her own way. It is fascinating to see the affect Joss has, not only on the author, but also the other children in the household and how Cathy Glass, the police and social services manage this troubled young girl. As I read and after I had finished this heart-rending true account, I found myself hurting for Joss, questioning the system and full of admiration for the author. ~ Liz Robinson
In addition to our expert opinion, a small number of our Lovereading reader review panel members were lucky enough to be invited to review this title. You can read the full reviews here.
- Hannah Ward - 'These books are so heart touching that I really do admire Cathy and the work that she does...Another fantastic read.'
- Angie Rhodes - 'Cathy is one amazing lady, and to read her books, gives hope to all the children who come into contact with her.'
- Jennifer Moville - 'Girl Alone is the story of Joss - a girl who is put into foster care after her father dies and her mother subsequently remarries.'
- Jane Macleod - 'The story is tragic from the start, but you do gain an insight in to how vulnerable children behave the way they do, and how foster carers are truly special people who give a part of themselves to all the children they take into their care.'
- Edel Waugh - 'Heart-breaking and eye opening it can vividly make you see what goes on behind closed doors and the good people out there fighting against it.'
- Janet Gilliard - 'This is really not a book I would normally read. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this book.'
- Celeste McCreesh - 'I loved this book, it's based on true events also which I really liked. I read in about a day, I couldn't put it down...'
- Cathy Small - 'A truly heart-breaking story as you see Joss a 13 year old taken into foster care making her life worse by getting into constant trouble...'
Girl Alone Joss Came Home from School to Discover Her Father's Suicide. Angry and Hurting, She's Out of Control. by Cathy Glass
Aged nine Joss came home from school to discover her father's suicide. She's never gotten over it. This is the true story of Joss, 13 who is angry and out of control. At the age of nine, Joss finds her father's dead body. He has committed suicide. Then her mother remarries and Joss bitterly resents her step-father who abuses her mentally and physically. Cathy takes Joss under her wing but will she ever be able to get through to the warm-hearted girl she sees glimpses of underneath the vehement outbreaks of anger that dominate the house, and will Cathy be able to build up Joss's trust so she can learn the full truth of the terrible situation?
About the Author
Publication date10th September 2015
More books by Cathy Glass
Author 'Like for Like'
Author's Facebook Latest
PublisherHarper Element an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
Adoption & fostering
Coping with death & bereavement
If you love reading, then you'll love Lovereading! Full of tips & info for every discerning reader.Lynne Rapson
Lovereading takes the guesswork out of finding your next read with "if you like you'll love" and extracts to help with your decision.Sarah Bruch
The selections are so varied and the reader reviews are so helpful. A fantastic website for those who love books.Ann Quintilla
I love Lovereading because I get to read great books and then get to tell everybody how good they are.Sally Doel
It is a website dedicated to those who adore reading It really is a one stop shop for book lovers. Love it!Edel Waugh
I 'Lovereading' because it lets me see what new books are around with a detailed synopsis and readers' reviews.Judith Sharp
It has enriched my leisure time by introducing me to a world of books which I would not have previously considered.Val Rowe
I love 'try before you buy' extracts. I love the wide range of authors & genres. I love the author info. I love books!Judi Davies